Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
i agree that the engines are broken in before we get em, but other things need a tender initiation. The first 500 is the most important for the gears in the rear end, since they are NOT broken in, they just get an initial RUN. Here is a basic break-in procedure ive followed after installing gears in other vehicles: It's info from Randy's Ring & Pinion
Drive 15 min for initial warm up, keeping it under 50, no hard starts.
stop let it cool 15-20 min.
Drive again, under 50 keeping it easy, no hard starts or stops. Taking short cruises to all your friends houses and hot spots is best. during this period, the gears are wearing into each other under load creating their permanent mesh pattern and there is excessive heat generated. That's why you don't wanna just jump on the highway and drive at 65+ for hours on end (as ive read some people plan on doing after they pick up their car) After about 200 miles its ok to drive faster and more distance, but after about 1000 miles its recommended to change the rear end fluid to remove all the metal particles and coating that came of the new gears.
I don't think its bad for the manual transmission either.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I' am going to be changing my oil at 100 mi, 500 mi and then at 1500 mi. It may be somewhat expensive, but I want to get as much debris out as soon as possible.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i don't really know if there's a definite answer. this ain't 20 years ago when if you didn't break it in right, the engine wouldn't operate as efficiently. from what i hear, the engine will be broken in from the factory (i don't really see how), but either way, i'm gonna take the first 1000 miles or so to make sure & break in the rest of the car. for the first bit, you don't wanna dog it or do much highway driving. just be gentle and try to use a semi-broad rpm range to make sure the rings get seated properly.

others who've had more experience with this feel free to chime in.
New technology makes a difference. How we treat our machines will make a difference when it comes to performance, but it isn't the way it used to be.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #18
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Does anyone have an owners manual for an 08 or 09 Corvette? Since it's the same engine, I'm assuming the break-in procedure would be the same.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote