Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Long Tubes Needed with Supercharger?

I chatted with about 4 tuners this am and was looking at either the Maggie or the Procharger. Some say that the lt headers are needed and some say they are optional ....what are everyones opinions? Who did it and who didnt?
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
We have made in the 530-550RWHP range at 6-7 psi with the Harrop HTV1900 supercharger and no headers.

Full details can be seen here:

http://www.lmspeed.com/harrophtv1900...hargerkit.aspx

These superchargers are properly sized to be the most efficient on a stock
LS3 engine. Thats not to say you're limited, as the HTV1900 is capable of 12-14PSI !

Please feel free to PM me if I can answer any questrions,
Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech 'Charged 06 Mustang GT
Totally optional, unless your goals exceed that of a normal bolt-on system. They aren't a bad idea, but with a supercharged application will always require a custom tune specific to the backpressure and airflow characteristics of the chosen headers. The last thing you want to do is run lean and hurt something...
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Here is our experience with a Procharger D1SC and 8psi.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58361

If you are not happy with 555RWHP, then you could always upgrade to LTs and a Cam to achieve 615RWHP.

Here is the updated video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CincySpe.../0/G_XrLMU8sKw

As Brian stated, make sure your tuner knows what he is doing.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
all of the cars we have installed maggies and pro chargers on we have put long tubes on them
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Some tuners don't add them to their FI applications because it causes a loss of boost from lower back pressure in the system.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
I went with kooks and couldn't be any happier
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
huggerorangss

Drives: c6 corvette
What does it matter if the car loses boost? Less boost will be safer on The motor and the headers will give it more HP.
huggerorangss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Here is the kicker; The F/I manufactures, vendors see headers as "options" and resellers and shops, see them as necessity. So you figure it out!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
When you add boost to an otherwise stock motor, if tuned properly, it will make more power. If all you're after is a little more power and are on a tight budget, your motor will run fine with the stock exhaust.

HOWEVER, if you add long tubes and a free flowing exhaust, you'll make more power on less boost. Any time you can do this, it's a win/win. Less boost = less heat. Less is much better than more when you're trying to keep your engine healthy. High boost does not necessarily mean high power. Boost is simply a measure of restriction of the air going through the motor. The more you compress (boost) air, the more the air gets heated. As your intake air temp rises, your PCM will reduce timing advance. It protects your engine. If you can reduce intake air temps, you can run more timing and make more power.

In short, there's no way I'd be without long tubes and a good flowing exhaust behind the LT's on a boosted motor. If the goal is more power, you really need them.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Here is the kicker; The F/I manufactures, vendors see headers as "options" and resellers and shops, see them as necessity. So you figure it out!

BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerorangss View Post
What does it matter if the car loses boost? Less boost will be safer on The motor and the headers will give it more HP.
I just mentioned it because I was going to go with headers on my LPE package. They don't recommend headers on their FI installs. Maybe without them the engine will last longer - not sure. I just took their word for it, as I have no experience with tuning. Is there anything about headers that could add heat to the engine and be less safe?

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjk7 View Post
I chatted with about 4 tuners this am and was looking at either the Maggie or the Procharger. Some say that the lt headers are needed and some say they are optional ....what are everyones opinions? Who did it and who didnt?
It is not a question of Needed or Not Needed, has more to do with your HP goals and longevity.

Boost is a Product of RESTRICTION.

The Engine and the flow path of the gasses are the RESTRICTOR.

If your HP Goal is 500 RWHP on PUMP GAS then you Don't Need Headers.

If you want to get as much power as you can on as low a boost as you can then you Need Headers.

Headers increase flow or reduce restriction of the flow path, which in turn lowers boost and makes more power.

With a PD blower we typically see 1 psi boost loss and 10 RWHP Gain, this is good thing.

With Centrifugals we will see a 1 psi boost loss and gain 20 RWHP gain, again this is a good thing.

Another Myth busted, Headers Do NOT lean out the A/F ratios on these cars due to the MASS AIR METER measuring the additional Air Flow from Headers.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
Well said Ted
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote