Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Lightbulb Camaro Z28 rumors dampened by Bob Lutz, G8 will (update: NOT) survive

As reported on homepage.

In a report that just came out today from Autoblog...

Quote:
Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Eh - I won't hold my breathe, but I won't be ticked either. I can see where he's coming from. Also, with the new GM, I don't think they'd want to come out and advertise a 19 MPG Highway-rated muscle/pony-car anyways. I'm a little disappointed, but nothing's confirmed, either way.

At least the aftermarket it allowing any one of us to build exactly the car we want

EDIT: Eh - I just read both the Autoblog and Automobile articles and the way I interperate Lutz' comments aren't necessarily what I think either source is reporting. I don't see dirt-kicking; he makes no direct comments, but it was pretty non-specific, to me anyways.

If that car is already, indeed, ready (per the sources that say so) then why develop a new powerplant and start all over?... It's still speculation, regardless, and the quotes from Lutz are real, so I guess we just have to take it for what it's worth.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Value of the SS is going up...
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
also says the g8 will come back as a caprice.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyankee View Post
also says the g8 will come back as a caprice.
really?

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
That is a mistake. Let it die. Save the performance segment for better GM cars like the Camaro and Corvette. If that's Lutz's idea, then he should retire...for good.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
No, it's what he said...

BREAKING: Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice in U.S.; Camaro Z28 reportedly dead
by Alex Nunez on Jul 11th 2009 at 12:19PM

2009 Chevy Caprice SS (Middle East) - Click above for a high-res photo gallery

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.

Name:  09_caprice-arabia_002_580.jpg
Views: 5163
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

A f%$*@#ing Caprice in favor of downgrading the Camaro to four cylinders??? You've got to be joking!!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Dude first off,

I will never believe the Z28 will be dead. I guarantee we will see it one day

Second of all, The Caprice looks OK compared to the G8. I mean, I thought GM learned their lesson about how Badge Swapping Engineering affects their business. Since GM is now smaller, I was really hoping that each brand would bring its own diversity. I mean come on, An Enclave, Traverse, Acadia, and the Saturn version( I forgot the name) are all the same cars. I mean, thats the only thing that discourages me about the company. I really hope Fritz Henderson stops these practices.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
mxkx250

Drives: 12 ZL1, 98 Camaro SS, 67 RS/SS
Send a message via Yahoo to mxkx250
I was hoping they would keep the G8 as an Impala SS so the Caprice would be welcomed by me. As for his statement about the mainstream cars like the Camaro getting the 6's and turbo 4, I hope this just means the mainstream buyers are looking for these. Hopefully the LS3 and LSX will be available for those that want them.
mxkx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Frankly so far all I hear from Lutz, Henderson, GM dealers and whoever is lip service about the new GM and their focus on quality and customer satisfaction. Quality is as bad now as ever has been. Go take a lap around a GM dealer and look closely at the cars. So far I am waiting 4 + weeks for correct RS dark tint taillights ( 3 improper ones installed at factory ) as well as driver side rocker panel and associated hardware, scuff guards, etc. I also own an '06 DTS performance sedan that has spent far to much time at the dealership for warranty repairs ( car has only 15K miles on it and is driven exclusively by my wife ). If anyone at GM is listening, you are failing already. I just received my "GM customer purchase and delivery satisfaction survey" for my Camaro. It won't be pretty.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
It's a new green GM..:( Say goodbye to V8 muscle... Get em while you can..
Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

50 Billion $$$ in the hole dude. That's why I say leave it alone. Hope GM uses their resources better going forward. They could can the Impala while they are at it. Another dog that wouldn't be missed. They have the very excellend Cadillacs and the Malibu. I see tons of those on the road her in AZ. Ummmm, sorry, NEVER see any G8's. Shiploads of V-8 Silverados and Tahoes out here too. Still never see any of those "well received" G8's that you mentioned.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

You are right Supermans...with rumblings of a 4-banger Camaro and the Chevy Caprice as their planned vehicles, I'd better get my order in for a real car now!!!!