Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Exclamation The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth

The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth
By Bill Siuru, provided by: Greencar.com

According to a recent study by the California Integrated Waste Management Board, 73 percent of California drivers change their oil more frequently than required. This same scenario no doubt repeats itself across the country. Besides wasting money, this translates into unnecessary consumption of $100-a-barrel oil, much of it imported.

Using 2005 data, the Board estimates that Californians alone generate about 153.5 million gallons of waste oil annually, of which only about 60 percent is recycled. Used motor oil poses the greatest environmental risk of all automotive fluids because it is insoluble, persistent, and contains heavy metal and toxic chemicals. One gallon of used oil can foul the taste of one million gallons of water.

It’s been a misconception for years that engine oil should be changed every 3000 miles, even though most auto manufacturers now recommend oil changes at 5,000, 7,000, or even 10,000 mile intervals under normal driving conditions.

Greatly improved oils, including synthetic oils, coupled with better engines mean longer spans between oil changes without harming an engine. The 3000 mile interval is a carryover from days when engines used single-grade, non-detergent oils.

For several years, automakers like General Motors, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have installed computerized systems that alert drivers via an instrument panel light when it’s time to change oil. As an example, the General Motor Oil Life System (GMOLS) analyzes the engine temperature, rpms, vehicle speeds, and other driving conditions to calculate the rate of engine oil degradation. Then, software calculates when the oil needs to be changed. Other systems work similarly.

Because of the many external conditions and parameters that have to be taken into account, calculating the precise maximum service interval using mathematical models alone is difficult. Now, Daimler AG has developed a more direct and precise way to monitor oil quality directly on board a vehicle.

Daimler uses a special sensor integrated into the oil circuit to monitor engine oil directly. Oil doesn’t wear out, but rather dirt and impurities cause oil to lose its ability to lubricate properly, dictating the need for a change. Daimler uses the oil’s “permittivity,” that is, the ability to polarize in response to the electric field. If the engine oil is contaminated by water or soot particles, it polarizes to a greater extent and its permittivity increases.

To evaluate the quality of the oil, permittivity is measured by applying an AC potential between the interior and exterior pipes of an oil-filled sensor to determine how well the oil transmits the applied electric field.

Because not all impurities can be measured with sufficient precision via the electric field method, Daimler also measures the oil’s viscosity to detect any fuel that may have seeped into the oil. Daimler researchers measure viscosity while the vehicle is in motion by observing the oil's side-to-side motion in the oil sump. The slower the oil moves, the higher its viscosity. This movement is registered by a sensor and the viscosity is calculated on this basis.

A single sensor, along with the information already monitored by on-board computers, is sufficient to determine the various parameters of the engine oil. Daimler will likely use the technology first on its commercial vehicles. Here, large oil reservoirs mean larger quantities of oil can be saved. Plus, a predicted 25 percent increase between service intervals and reduced downtime will be of interest to fleets, and thus justify the added cost of installation.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Before this thread explodes:

1. BITOG is the generally accepted authority on what really works

2. Seriously, who ever has a problem that could have been prevented by more frequent / better oil? Most cars go to the junkyard with any of a million other problems, never anything that can be attributed to oil habits, even among those who follow the manufacturer's recommended schedule instead of using $10/quart oil every 3000 miles.

One data point does not a trend make, but my truck has 170,000 miles on it and runs great -- and I've been pretty awful with oil changes. I've had a few different mechanics, each of whom probably uses a different brand; never used synthetic or special high-mileage formulations. I've usually changed it when the idiot light goes on, which generally has been 6,000 to 7,000 miles. If I said all that without telling you how many miles I have, a bunch of people would post that my engine will seize before 100,000 miles. I don't get any smoke, I've got all the power to tow my 6,000 pound camper, etc...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I listen to my car. I'll let it tell me when to change the oil.
60-something% life still? And I'm already over 5000 miles on the stuff.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
The Oil Life Monitor system from GM works pretty well...I didn't know that Diamler Chrysler was building one that was that superior...I love technology.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Hmm funny you should bring this thread up , I just changed my oil a few weeks ago and filled it with 4 1/2 quarts of 5w30 Royal Purple and now recently when i start the car the change oil light comes on. And I know I haven't driven 5k since the change. The light goes out after about 10 minutes. Could the sensor be messed up?
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
I know I haven't driven 5k since the change. The light goes out after about 10 minutes. Could the sensor be messed up?
Did you reset the counter? It doesn't measure viscosity and conductivity like the Chrysler system described by the OP. It just calculates how badly the oil should be aging based on load / temperature / miles / etc, and must be reset when you change the oil.

Edit: That's assuming you're talking about your 2001 Camaro.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
5k is the longest i'll go between changes.
ToneyTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I've been changing oil every 5K for 12 years now....

But, I don't do the kind of driving that breaks down oil too quickly either.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Besides the cool computers tellin you when to change the oil......
try checking the oil on occasion, say around 2/3000 miles and then every 1000 miles or so after that. Try comparing the consistency/ cleanliness of the oil in your engine, to the oil you would put in it..... if the oil in the motor looks clean etc... wait to change the oil. If it looks black or dark brown, change it and start checking a lot sooner.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Dude my Trailblazer had me all sorts of weirded out, I thought it was broken because it was taking forever to tick down to below 15%! I got it changed today because we're about to drive to Florida and didn't want it ticking down on the road trip, so I changed it at 22% but its' the first oil changed we've done on it since buying it in NOVEMBER!
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I change oil when its recomended, I trust that the engineers who designed the engine know better than I do about when its time to change the oil.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Did you reset the counter? It doesn't measure viscosity and conductivity like the Chrysler system described by the OP. It just calculates how badly the oil should be aging based on load / temperature / miles / etc, and must be reset when you change the oil.

Edit: That's assuming you're talking about your 2001 Camaro.
yeah im talking about my 2001and yeah i reset the counter.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
The Oil Life Monitor system from GM works pretty well...I didn't know that Diamler Chrysler was building one that was that superior...I love technology.
who knew....

I always hit the autozone soon as the light comes on

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
When I had my Cobalt, I obeyed the sensor every time. It usually went over 7k miles. If more people were aware of this, we could lower oil costs.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote