Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Question Trailing arm bushing removal tool

Hey everyone! Well look im in the middle of doing the whole suspension on my car. I know PFADT makes a tool to remove the trailing arm bushing but i really dont want to order and then wait like 4 days for me to receive it! I've heard that alot of u guys have made ur own tool and its worked! Any ideas on what i can use to make my own tool? Sizes and lenghts of stuff needed would really help. Any pictures???? Thats the last thing i need, everything else in the suspension is done! Thanks everyone!!!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Got a harbor freight nearby?
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...-set-8832.html

Can't remember the socket size if you want to do it with a couple washers, bolt, and a nut.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
BAWLZ SS

Yeah theirs a Harbor Freight not to far from home. I checked out the link but how can i use tha puller to get that bushing out?
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Synner

You trim the lip off one side of the bushing with a razor, place a piece of metal on the bushing, then push it out in a push versus pull configuration. It will pop out fairly easily plus you now have extra tools. Everyone needs extra tools.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Yup extra tools Great im almost going to go buy them right now but where do u hook those arms to? Is there enough space to do it??
Old 09-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
I just went down to the hardware store and came up with this. Some threaded rod, some pipe that was just a bit bigger then the stock bushing and some sort of plate steel and some nuts to make jam nuts.
Attached Images

Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Yup extra tools Great im almost going to go buy them right now but where do u hook those arms to? Is there enough space to do it??
The spindle that the bushing is mounted in. And yes.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
That's perfect Sealth! Here is a diagram with a little info on our removal tool. It's not rocket science here, mostly a trip to lowes would yield good results.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
The spindle that the bushing is mounted in. And yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
That's perfect Sealth! Here is a diagram with a little info on our removal tool. It's not rocket science here, mostly a trip to lowes would yield good results.

Thanks guys! greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
I just went down to the hardware store and came up with this. Some threaded rod, some pipe that was just a bit bigger then the stock bushing and some sort of plate steel and some nuts to make jam nuts.
Im going to give it a try! Thanks!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Im going to give it a try! Thanks!!!
Best of luck to you. cheap easy tool to make.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post

I've seen you guys post that a number of times. Good on you for telling folks to make their own instead of trying to sell something to them.

I must purchase something from you folks now!
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Blowtorch
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
I used a two prong puller. You can rent one at Autozone or Pepboys.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote