Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
How do I keep both front turn signals on during the day?(without any other lights on)

I have a non-RS Camaro and would like to know if anybody has figured this out yet. Currently I'm disabling the DRL's and turning on the parking lights, but I do not want the rear lights and front fender lights to come on when I do that. I would really like the front-turn-lights to both stay on because they are much brighter. Is there anyway to have both front-turn-lights on during the day without any other lights on. So when I turn on the blinkers, complete the turn and go back to both of them on.

I LOVE THE WAY THIS LOOKS ON THE VETTES.

-
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Illegal much?
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I don't see how that would be illegal. As long as they still blink when he uses the signal it should be fine. Would probably take some wiring trickery that I am in no way qualified to attempt.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
rcracer78

Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
off1c3r

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Illegal much?
Illegal in the changing of vehicle operation? I would think more warrenty issues because you remember the old cobalt, and I think HHR? I Don't remember but they both had yellow DRL. It would though be ackward to see 2 yellow DRL then one starts to blink and one steady imo.
off1c3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Hushhush

Drives: Opel
Do you mean parking lights, cause I'm pretty sure thats what you are seeing on the vette.
Hushhush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
You would be altering the current requirements that the car was built to meet. EVEN a 55 Chevy had the rear lights come on with the front grill ( parking lamps) were on without headlights. Some lawyer then judge will find you 50 % at fault.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
rcracer78

anybody figure this out yet?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
There is nothing illegal about it, and many cars used the front parking lights as their DRLs (4th Gens, the Corvette, etc). There are no laws around DRLs so as long as your turn signals blink when you signal, and your brake lights light up when you hit the brakes youre fine.

As for this, there is no simple way to do it without some serious amount of wiring. The lights are all electronically controlled so you can't just tap the power wires for your headlights to run your parking lights instead. Your simplest way would be to wire a power switch to a second set of wires to the lights. HOWEVER you would lose the flasher ability and you risk frying the brains of the electronic light controller box. Your other option is to pull out the lights and drill holes and install 2 bulbs on a separate circuit with a switch. Make sure they are lower wattage than the turn signal bulbs so people will be able to see you signaling.

IMO sounds like a huge pain in the ass to me, and not simple enough to get your intended look..
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
There is nothing illegal about it, and many cars used the front parking lights as their DRLs (4th Gens, the Corvette, etc). There are no laws around DRLs so as long as your turn signals blink when you signal, and your brake lights light up when you hit the brakes youre fine.

As for this, there is no simple way to do it without some serious amount of wiring. The lights are all electronically controlled so you can't just tap the power wires for your headlights to run your parking lights instead. Your simplest way would be to wire a power switch to a second set of wires to the lights. HOWEVER you would lose the flasher ability and you risk frying the brains of the electronic light controller box. Your other option is to pull out the lights and drill holes and install 2 bulbs on a separate circuit with a switch. Make sure they are lower wattage than the turn signal bulbs so people will be able to see you signaling.

IMO sounds like a huge pain in the ass to me, and not simple enough to get your intended look..
Yes the 4th Gen Camaros, and many other GM vehicles did have the parking lights (just the front turn signals) as the DRL's. However in California, and I'm sure other states as well, it IS illegal to drive with JUST your parking lights on. You are not allowed to drive with just the front turn signals on, unless the headlights are on as well. Not that I ever got pulled over for it, but that is the law out here at least.

Check it out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt7.htm

See first part where it says headlight use.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
Yes the 4th Gen Camaros, and many other GM vehicles did have the parking lights (just the front turn signals) as the DRL's. However in California, and I'm sure other states as well, it IS illegal to drive with JUST your parking lights on. You are not allowed to drive with just the front turn signals on, unless the headlights are on as well. Not that I ever got pulled over for it, but that is the law out here at least.

Check it out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt7.htm

See first part where it says headlight use.
I interpret that to mean when headlights are required you can't drive with just your parking lights on based on the fact the preceding paragraph details the times of day you must use your headlights. Otherwise Corvettes and 4thgens would be illegal to drive in California.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I interpret that to mean when headlights are required you can't drive with just your parking lights on based on the fact the preceding paragraph details the times of day you must use your headlights. Otherwise Corvettes and 4thgens would be illegal to drive in California.
It's one of those vague laws. I'm sure that's what it means, but simply stated it says you can NOT drive at ANY TIME with JUST your parking lights on, which would apply to Camaros and Corvettes. I assume that because GM uses them as DRL's they get around that law. But for purposes of this thread and the OP's question, I thought it appropriate to make people aware of this law, just in case.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing to consider is that with the old run the turn signal on for DRL's having them on at all times would burn them out alot sooner. that is the reason they were changed on most cars to running the headlights (usually the brights) at a reduced voltage...

I for one thought that style DRL looked worse than the headlight type.