Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
jimmyD

Drives: torrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Yes Ssooch we all know how much you love your duster now dont we lol

Attachment 57230
Oh my gosh, he put the dildo on the handle of the duster...
jimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #30
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
wow now im really worried I still havent gotten my camaro but i do have my duster. Ive already waisted 50 bucks on cheap microfiber towels that I cant use, now this? My impulse buying is costing me big time now.
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #31
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I say do not dust the car, it will make streaks, wash the car and use a leaf blower to dry it and you will not have any streaks or scratches, sounds crazy but it is the best way.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #32
Demo Dude

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM Blk Stripes
You can use an air compressor to blow off the car after washing or if there is dust on it. The less you have to wipe the car the less scratches your gonna have. I have had my Camaro since July and have washed it twice. When your out just use Meguires Ultimate Detailer and good microfiber towels to wipe it down. You never want to run anything across the paint without a lubricant. And apply as little pressure as you can when wipeing it down. Its not the amount of pressure that dries or cleans the car its the absorbancy of the towels. Also when you wash the car use a microfiber mitt but dont wear it, just hold the end where your hand goes in and lightly drag it across the surface applying no pressure. If you do use towels to dry it do the same thing, lay the towel on the surface, pick up the end and drag it across applying no pressure. The towel does the work not the amount of pressure you apply to it.
Demo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #33
IPSARO0

Drives: 2010 Camaro - RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Swiffer 360 works great and it's cheap. No greasy funk on it either.
360 duster works for me too!
IPSARO0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Well I bought the duster and have had it in newspaper for 2 days but after reading these posts I am scared to use it. I have ABM so its not dark like black or IBM.
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #35
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo Dude View Post
You can use an air compressor to blow off the car after washing or if there is dust on it. The less you have to wipe the car the less scratches your gonna have. I have had my Camaro since July and have washed it twice. When your out just use Meguires Ultimate Detailer and good microfiber towels to wipe it down. You never want to run anything across the paint without a lubricant. And apply as little pressure as you can when wipeing it down. Its not the amount of pressure that dries or cleans the car its the absorbancy of the towels. Also when you wash the car use a microfiber mitt but dont wear it, just hold the end where your hand goes in and lightly drag it across the surface applying no pressure. If you do use towels to dry it do the same thing, lay the towel on the surface, pick up the end and drag it across applying no pressure. The towel does the work not the amount of pressure you apply to it.
I've used the California duster in the past, but it seems to take a long time to get rid of the wax streaks on dar colors. You have to get out the quick detailer and then rub the paint with a towel or something and that always seems to invite a minor swirl every so often.

I found a nice alternative is to use the garden hose with no nozzle to pour water on the dust and rinse it off and then use air to blow off the water drops. But I don't have a shop compressor. I use an electric leaf blower!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #36
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Ok I brought this oldie up from its depths...best way?
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #37
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Ancient thread but I'm not a fan of the duster. I've had one for quite a few years and it's never done what I've wanted. I'll grant it that some dust seems to be picked up but pollen? Forget about it. Pollen just gets smeared around.

If you live on a dirt road, I don't know what to tell you. If you live in town like I do, I run it through the touchless car wash for a quicky and then hit it up with the detail spray when I get to the garage. Otherwise, I hand wash and dry when I can't stand it dirty anymore.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #38
taf21979

Drives: 2013 2ss vert
The Cali duster is no good on black cars trust me I know all to well. If you don't wanna do a full wash buy a master blaster there are not cheap but they are awesome.
taf21979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #39
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I agree CA dusters will scratch, Waterless Washes along with the correct Waterless Wash MF towels is the best and safest way to remove dust. My black 05 GTO has only been washed with water 4 times. I do a WW wipe down after every drive.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-car-wash.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #40
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
I'll grant it that some dust seems to be picked up but pollen? Forget about it. Pollen just gets smeared around.
Whether someone is pro or con on the Cali duster, it should be NEVER be used for pollen. Pollen spores have tiny barbs that grab the finish. That's the reason is seems to smear: the embedded spores stay on the paint and the loose ones get moved around. Just think of it as dragging minuscule shards of glass across your finish and it's easy to understand why pollen is best left alone until you can use a liquid product to remove it. And any spores that get picked up by the duster are reintroduced to the finish the next time you use it.

POLLEN UNDER A MICROSCOPE:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #41
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I use my California Duster and love it!! Just brush lightly and never see any streakage.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #42
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
This little duster is the ticket, I have 6 black vehicles, stay away from the C.D.!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...Keyword=duster

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote