Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #113
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
1. Wasn't calling u an idiot. Just saying what the whole scenario reminds me of. People who are stuck in their ways and afraid to learn
2. I don't know it all. I've learned a ton the past few years and I'm pretty sure there's more to learn. U need to be more open minded. Not me
3. My comparison with my dad makes you think In calling you and idiot. That means you think my dads an idiot. Guess what. He'd atleast have better sense than to use a gas blower on the car
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #114
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
1. Wasn't calling u an idiot. Just saying what the whole scenario reminds me of. People who are stuck in their ways and afraid to learn
2. I don't know it all. I've learned a ton the past few years and I'm pretty sure there's more to learn. U need to be more open minded. Not me
3. My comparison with my dad makes you think In calling you and idiot. That means you think my dads an idiot. Guess what. He'd atleast have better sense than to use a gas blower on the car
Ok Mr. know it all....
You not being able to use a gas blower on a car just shows your lack of mechanical ability of which I dont need to go into.

Ive also learned alot on here and elsewhere but not from bunch of so-called know it alls. And maybe your dad is a idiot if he uses a sponge from a garage floor and dish washing liquid to wash his car and maybe you outta take that up with him instead of me.

And all of this stupid arguing over microfiber towels, who really cares. Im not responding anymore to this crap.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #115
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Oh yea I forgot I am a idiot
HA!!!

Quote:
And maybe your dad is a idiot...
HA!!!

Quote:
And all of this stupid arguing over microfiber towels, who really cares. Im not responding anymore to this crap.
YAY!!!!!

Although I bet anything he responds again.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #116
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
You not being able to use a gas blower on a car just shows your lack of mechanical ability of which I dont need to go into.
Since we're already here I'll clear this one up too - and I'll just ignore the name calling.
WHY NOT TO USE A GAS LEAF BLOWER TO DRY YOUR CAR

There are the obvious reasons a gas leaf blower makes a poor choice for drying a vehicle - noise levels are substantially higher and if you are working in an enclosed space (which would be ideal for car detailing to stay out of direct sun whenever possible) the exhaust fumes can become an actual safety concern.

The other concern comes from whats in the exhaust. A typical 2 cycle gas leaf blower is going to run on a gas/oil mixture, meaning as it burns the gas its also burning a small amount of oil. That burnt oil is then cast out of the blower in the form of exhaust soot. Working near a vehicle you just spent a ton of time meticulously washing it would seem counter intuitive to then spend the next few minutes showering it with a mixture of exhaust soot, right?

An electric leaf blower makes a much better option for drying as it won't share these issues, plus the noise level (on average) will be much lower.

Taking that a step further, products like the metro blaster line are even better - producing heated, filtered air and allowing for more precise control of the air stream so as not to stir up ground dirt/dust from a garage floor while you dry.

Since there won't be anymore replies, this is more just for general information for anyone who happens to stumble into this hot mess later down the line LOL

As far as 'the best' towels - really, once you hit the minimum stats for the purpose it comes down to preference.

Typically you'll want 70/30 ratio towels. For anything that'll be used on paint 360gsm or better is considered 'paint safe', but obviously a higher gsm isn't gonna be a bad idea either if you want to go for really nice towels.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #117
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The better towels tend to be more expensive. I agree, don't break the bank on a mf towel (overthinking the idea), but towels made by Griots, as an example, I love. A good towel will not shrink in your hand (or in the washer), and will keep on performing after being soiled multiple times.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #118
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
I bought 5 of the autozone towels for drying, about 9 bucks per towel. I wash my car at least once every other week or when it starts showing dirt. I usually dry in 3 steps,
1st, I will just put the towel over the car and pat it down to get the standing water off, even when flooding with the hose, I still get standing water near the spoiler and on the roof.

2nd, I will use another dry towel and lightly drag across

3rd, I will use the remaining towels to wipe the excess water and dry it completely. Non of these shed, or shrink.

Had my car for 4 months and I look very close at all my towels to make sure there are no residue in the fibers before each wipe down. No matter what angles I look at on my car, there are absolutely no micro scratches or swirls on my car. Granted its ashen gray, I guess if I had a black car I would probably go to the ones you guys are talking about.

So far these work great.
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #119
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Microfiber cloths, expensive isn't necessarily better.

Quote:
Ok Mr. know it all....

I'm by no means a mechanical expert. The little I do know is actually from racing 2-stroke dirt bikes since I was 4. So the bit that I know is enough to laugh at the claim of "tuning a 2 stroke" to not spit out fuel/oil. I don't care how dangerously lean you're running the mixture or what jetting your carb is at...you, sir, are a defect

Edit: and the difference between your methods and my fathers (who you deem an idiot) my dad didn't claim his paint was flawless and that his method was good. Nor did he give an eff

Last edited by flyinlow89; 08-12-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: musclecarmamories is slightly retarded
flyinlow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #120
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftgreen View Post
I bought 5 of the autozone towels for drying, about 9 bucks per towel. I wash my car at least once every other week or when it starts showing dirt. I usually dry in 3 steps,
1st, I will just put the towel over the car and pat it down to get the standing water off, even when flooding with the hose, I still get standing water near the spoiler and on the roof.

2nd, I will use another dry towel and lightly drag across

3rd, I will use the remaining towels to wipe the excess water and dry it completely. Non of these shed, or shrink.

Had my car for 4 months and I look very close at all my towels to make sure there are no residue in the fibers before each wipe down. No matter what angles I look at on my car, there are absolutely no micro scratches or swirls on my car. Granted its ashen gray, I guess if I had a black car I would probably go to the ones you guys are talking about.

So far these work great.
Thing is. You are saying so far. 4 months isn't much. Personally I didn't see any swirls until almost 2 and half years. But now that I can see them it bugs me sooo.. Trying to reduce them as much as possible when you can( new car) is better than having to polish and all that to remove them. Th less you polish, the more clear coat ull have in the long run
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #121
Wuiquen

So yesterday I went to auto zone to buy some stuff.. Stop by the towel section, and I think we need to be clear on what towels we talking about. They have some towels that seems alright. Kinda plush and fluffly.. Obviously not as much as the good ones... But I can see how the member whose cars are new and using those, won't see scratches or swirls right away...
Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #122
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
I got my two Dry Me Crazy and Microfiber Madness Wash mitt in this week and could not be happier.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #123
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I ordered 5 BOA towels to see the hype

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #124
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
I ordered 5 BOA towels to see the hype
Ull be happy u did
Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #125
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Ull be happy u did

Might make me too happy to where I have to buy more to store away before they get expensive lol

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #126
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Might make me too happy to where I have to buy more to store away before they get expensive lol
I think they are usually at the price you just bought. But I have a feeling u will be ordering more. I did cuz I only order 2 st first to check them out but then ended up ordering another 10 for my detail job.