Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Do I want a Hurst short throw?

Finally putting my order together: Yellow 2SS/RS with a manual trans. Been waiting a year for HUD

My question: I've driven stick trucks and semis all my life but never a muscle car, so i don't know what a "short throw" shifter feels like. Is the shift pattern just closer together as the name implies? If that's the case, should i go with the standard shifter in the camaro since i'm used to trucks with long "throws"?
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Yes....you'll want some kind of short throw shifter. The Hurst may or may not be the right one for you.

Unless you just have to have it from the factory I wouldn't order it from GM. You can add it as an aftermarket cheaper and you won't necessarily have to wait. Things may have changed but those that tried to order a 2010 with a Hurst got their build put off because they weren't actually putting them in at GM. Everyone typically cancelled their order for the Hurst in order to get their car. Things may have changed but I haven't heard of anyone taking possession of a Camaro with a factory installed Hurst.

So....do your research on which short thorw to buy. There is Hurst, MGW, Barton, MTI. I had a Hurst and didn't like it. I went with MGW and the Race Knob and LOVE it. Alot of people like the Hurst though. There are alot of people that like the Barton as well.

Again....just keep researching but I wouldn't recommend ordering through GM right now.

To me the short throw shifter is a MUST HAVE and I haven't heard of anyone that put on a short throw that went back to the factory shifter.

This isn't going to be like shifting a truck so I wouldn't compare that at all. Your elbow is more than likely going to be on the center console.....unlike your truck.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yes....you'll want some kind of short throw shifter. The Hurst may or may not be the right one for you.

Unless you just have to have it from the factory I wouldn't order it from GM. You can add it as an aftermarket cheaper and you won't necessarily have to wait. Things may have changed but those that tried to order a 2010 with a Hurst got their build put off because they weren't actually putting them in at GM. Everyone typically cancelled their order for the Hurst in order to get their car. Things may have changed but I haven't heard of anyone taking possession of a Camaro with a factory installed Hurst.

So....do your research on which short thorw to buy. There is Hurst, MGW, Barton, MTI. I had a Hurst and didn't like it. I went with MGW and the Race Knob and LOVE it. Alot of people like the Hurst though. There are alot of people that like the Barton as well.

Again....just keep researching but I wouldn't recommend ordering through GM right now.

To me the short throw shifter is a MUST HAVE and I haven't heard of anyone that put on a short throw that went back to the factory shifter.

This isn't going to be like shifting a truck so I wouldn't compare that at all. Your elbow is more than likely going to be on the center console.....unlike your truck.
all true

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Thanks that's very good info. I'll definitely NOT put it on my order, and get an aftermarket later if i want.
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
YES!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Listen to this man he knows what he's talking about. No way i could ever go back to the factory one after having the short throw for several months now.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Get the Hurst from the factory. Unless Hurst changed their design, the one they deliver to GM has been modified to meet OEM specifications.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
You should definitely consider the MGW shifter. Do some searches here to find out why. High quality, no noise, and a total shifter replacement. I just got one and hope to have it installed this week or next week.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
agree on the MGW...a Real nice piece of craftmenship..a true short throw..
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
You should definitely consider the MGW shifter. Do some searches here to find out why. High quality, no noise, and a total shifter replacement. I just got one and hope to have it installed this week or next week.
You'll love it! It's ever so slightly tight at first but it was designed that way. Give it about 150 miles to break in. Once you do you'll kick yourself for not getting in the car sooner.

Which knob did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
agree on the MGW...a Real nice piece of craftmenship..a true short throw..
x10 for the MGW
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
the Barton short-throw shifter also is very good stuff. and a lot cheaper also.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I had the hurst and replaced it with the Barton. Installed the MGW in a few cars. It is a good shifter. The problem I have with it is it is a housing held together by pins and set screws. Great to begin with then loosens as the unit gets broken-in. The GM main structure is cast and the Barton unit that fits in will not change under environmental conditions. IMHO !
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
isnt the hurst the one that "clicks" every time you change gears? i wouldnt like it making that noise every time i switch gears
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Caverman, I am going to keep the stock shift knob. I was thinking of the round retro ball, but I really like the stock one.