Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
naga
Always be positive!!!

Drives: IMB 1ss/ MT
Question Curious about Royal Purple

How many of you’ll are using royal purple in their engine, transmission, and rear diffs? Or at least one of them.

Borla ATAK catback/ K&N CAI/ Diablo Tune for now
naga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Styffydawg
SSinister

Drives: Ram SS/T + Murdered Out 2SS/RS

SSinister
Styffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I HAD rp in my rear diff and it was noisy as all get out.

Changed it again to Mobil 1 with GM additive, and all is quiet again.

my 2 cents
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
naga
Always be positive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post

my 2 cents
That’s very strange because I have RP on my diffs and it works fine no complaints… hope the guys who changed the oil sucked out the rest of the factory oil out before changing it to RP.. but anyways if your happy with mobile that’s all what matters!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
naga
Always be positive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post

my 2 cents
I had a major difference when I changed my engine oil to RP, it felt much much smoother and you feel there is less friction!! I have used mobile 1 before for very long time but now I like RP. It really does make a difference!!! My next change is for the trans with RP Syncormax

NOTE: I am not trying to market anything here

Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I think I will this week... it's time for my next oil change!
If you want I can get it for ya cheap. ;-)

RP is great stuff. I only have it in my engine in the Camaro but I have it in my engine, trans, and diff in my truck, and I have it in my motorcycle. I've been using it for years and have slowly converted everyone to it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
2010ABM

Drives: 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
I replaced my rear diff fluid with it a few weeks ago. Only problem is that it's not on the GM "Approved Fluid List" and I'm not sure if GM will stand behind it if there are any warranty issues that come up.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I ran RP in my '78 Camaro one time. About 2 months after I put the RP in, the engine started using oil for no reason at all. I later found out the valve seals went bad and had to be replaced. I went back to my good old conventional Castrol GTX and never had a problem again. The engine was a new crate motor too with about 5,000 miles on it......not the original '78 engine. Needless to say, I'll never run synthetic oil in my cars again.....unless the car originally came with it from the factory.
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
naga
Always be positive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I ran RP in my '78 Camaro one time. About 2 months after I put the RP in, the engine started using oil for no reason at all. I later found out the valve seals went bad and had to be replaced. I went back to my good old conventional Castrol GTX and never had a problem again. The engine was a new crate motor too with about 5,000 miles on it......not the original '78 engine. Needless to say, I'll never run synthetic oil in my cars again.....unless the car originally came with it from the factory.
Your not suppose to use RP before the break in period of the engine, because RP prevents the break in period of the engine, it is recommended to use after around 3k miles..

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I won't use RP just because it's not on GM's list.... If you use and have an issue, just be aware they they can use that against you...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Just put it in the tranny and rear diff on my SS M6. Shifting was about the same semi-notchiness as before, although the transmission temps did drop.

There have been a million threads debating the which fluid is better. Overall i would say that with royal purple being only few bucks more a qt than mobil 1, its worth it to me to just know that i put the best oil i could find in her, even if the difference between mobil 1 and RP is negledigble. Peace of mind kind of thing for me.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #13
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
If you want I can get it for ya cheap. ;-)

RP is great stuff. I only have it in my engine in the Camaro but I have it in my engine, trans, and diff in my truck, and I have it in my motorcycle. I've been using it for years and have slowly converted everyone to it.
I just put some in it today... I wouldn't mind getting it from you next time. Let me know how to get ahold of you. I'm thinking about changing my tranny fluid next.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote