Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
MidwestCam

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Unsure about Vortech, opinions?

Hey all!
Owner of a new (to me) 2012 Camaro SS for about 6 months. Got it for a steal, with 50k miles on it from a mechanic at a dealer I go to, he only drove the thing for under 8k miles a year and changed oil every 4k miles!

Anyway, I was able to snag a vortech unit from a local shop at a great price, though it's a V1 head unit. Anybody know if this is going to be a huge headache for a daily driver noise wise? I've seen several videos of them on older mustangs, and I'm debating whether this is the route to go or not.

Thanks all!
MidwestCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: Black 2010
You'll likely only hear it at idle when sitting still. Once you start moving, the exhaust will drown it out.

Who doesn't like the sound of blower whine?

I had a Vortech Ysi with a cog drive. It was very noisy and mechanical sounding and got a lot of compliments.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
MidwestCam

Hope so!

I'm really only concerned about whether it drones into the cabin for extended road trips or if slowly going around town. I like the whine, don't get me wrong, but I would hate to have to yell to my wife in the car.

Is it terribly noticeable around 15-20 mph for city driving?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCam View Post
Hope so!

I'm really only concerned about whether it drones into the cabin for extended road trips or if slowly going around town. I like the whine, don't get me wrong, but I would hate to have to yell to my wife in the car.

Is it terribly noticeable around 15-20 mph for city driving?
Mine was because of the cog, cam, and headers. I would think it would be fairly quiet for just driving around town as the exhaust will be making more noise than the blower. My exhaust droned far more than the vortech at highway speeds from what I remember. It's been a while, I have turbos now.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
I had a Paxton on mine for 70k miles or better. Nothing to it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
MidwestCam

Thanks guys! Makes me feel quite a bit better about it. Worse come worse, I suppose I could line the hood with sound deadening material from summit if it's headache inducing. Sounds like it won't though (pun intended)!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
You'll likely only hear it at idle when sitting still. Once you start moving, the exhaust will drown it out.
Any way to get the bypass to be silent at idle? The whistling/chirping at idle is my biggest dislike about centris.

I've read putting a small filter on the discharge of the bypass can help, but didn't know if there were additional solutions.
Silver14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
I loved it. If I had kept it I would have put straight cut gears in it to be louder.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCam View Post
Hey all!
Owner of a new (to me) 2012 Camaro SS for about 6 months. Got it for a steal, with 50k miles on it from a mechanic at a dealer I go to, he only drove the thing for under 8k miles a year and changed oil every 4k miles!

Anyway, I was able to snag a vortech unit from a local shop at a great price, though it's a V1 head unit. Anybody know if this is going to be a huge headache for a daily driver noise wise? I've seen several videos of them on older mustangs, and I'm debating whether this is the route to go or not.

Thanks all!
I've had one on the older mustang. It'll whine at idle , give away to a performance exhaust system under easy acceleration. While steady cruising , won't hear it. Dragging it will be loud. The standard blow off is not loud. The bigger ones give a good whoosh.
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Any way to get the bypass to be silent at idle? The whistling/chirping at idle is my biggest dislike about centris.

I've read putting a small filter on the discharge of the bypass can help, but didn't know if there were additional solutions.
I meant you'll hear the belt whine at idle. The BOV doesn't make any noise unless it is releasing air which happens when you let off the throttle. You should not hear the BOV at idle.