Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Cam, headers, fuel, clutch. Help?

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been around on the forums. It's been nearly a year since having my Edelbrock supercharger installed and things are running great. Haven't had any issues at all since my initial tuning problem in the very beginning. It is now tax and bonus season and I am looking to adding some more power to the car and need advice.

I'm looking at doing a Cam, headers, and upgrading the fuel system. I've never shopped for a cam so I have no idea what I need or where to look for what I'm looking to get out of the car.
What I do not want is a choppy idle cam for the sake of it sounding cool. I'm looking to make more reliable power as this will still be my dally driver.

I already have my eyes on some ARH 1 7/8 long tubes, but I'm not sure on which route to go with as far as injectors and fuel pump goes. Everyone here seems to religiously recommend ID's but my tuner said that the FIC's were just as good and reliable.

I've also been told that a ZL1 fuel pump with the ADM module would suffice.
I'm currently making 504rwhp/478rwtq on a mustang dyno with nothing but the supercharger, rotofab CAI, catback exhaust and custom tune.
My goal is to be somewhere near 650rwhp.

On top of the cam, headers, and fuel system upgrades, I also plan on installing a smaller pulley and possible meth injection for safety. Do I need the meth? Will all these mods put me at my goal for hp while still being able to daily drive with the occasional track day here or there during the summer?

One last piece of advice I need is on which clutch to go with. I don't mind spending a good chunk of change for a clutch that will put the power down and last me a good while before needing to be replaced again.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been around on the forums. It's been nearly a year since having my Edelbrock supercharger installed and things are running great. Haven't had any issues at all since my initial tuning problem in the very beginning. It is now tax and bonus season and I am looking to adding some more power to the car and need advice.

I'm looking at doing a Cam, headers, and upgrading the fuel system. I've never shopped for a cam so I have no idea what I need or where to look for what I'm looking to get out of the car.
What I do not want is a choppy idle cam for the sake of it sounding cool. I'm looking to make more reliable power as this will still be my dally driver.

Call some companies up and tell them what your goals are, and have them spec you a blower cam.

I already have my eyes on some ARH 1 7/8 long tubes, but I'm not sure on which route to go with as far as injectors and fuel pump goes. Everyone here seems to religiously recommend ID's but my tuner said that the FIC's were just as good and reliable.

FIC's are fine, use whatever your tuner is comfortable with. If they know what they are doing, they shouldn't have any problem using most of the available injectors out there.

I'm currently making 504rwhp/478rwtq on a mustang dyno with nothing but the supercharger, rotofab CAI, catback exhaust and custom tune.

Personally I would go Dual pumps like the Livernois setup or Ligenfelter. That and a BAP should put you into the 800whp range. Remember when it comes to fuel, over kill is the idea. To answer your question more directly, yes the ZL1 pump and ADM FPCM will suffice.

On top of the cam, headers, and fuel system upgrades, I also plan on installing a smaller pulley and possible meth injection for safety. Do I need the meth? Will all these mods put me at my goal for hp while still being able to daily drive with the occasional track day here or there during the summer?

Meth will get you some more power, and lower IAT's. But its not "needed" Yes you will have a very streetable, and trackable car, not just for the weekends, but for daily driving.

One last piece of advice I need is on which clutch to go with. I don't mind spending a good chunk of change for a clutch that will put the power down and last me a good while before needing to be replaced again.

Again here overkill is not a bad idea, find a clutch that will support 1000whp or 1000lbs of torque at least. You can find a killer clutch that can handle all the power and have a stock like pedal to it, I run the Mantic 9000, slight bit if chatter and stock like pedal. Not saying you should run the same, its just one of the many dual disk clutch assembly's out there. I would at the lease go with a dual disk, but there are triple and quad's out there too. Spend some time searching the forums to see what FAILURES people have had, and what parts they were using. Then try to not repeat those same mistakes.

Good luck and have fun!
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
sam.u.el

Thank you very much for the advice! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Anytime, should you need anything further that hasn't been addressed, feel free to pm me or ask it here. Happy to help.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
all good advice above. Just my $.02 here, but a good reliable blower cam is the Gm LS9 camshaft. It sells for about $120 new, was engineered specifically for forced induction, and engineered to not beat the valve train into submission. I'm making right at 650RWHP with this cam, by the way.

Also, I'm still on the stock clutch as well, over two years now, without any issues. Made about 6-8 1/4-mile passes over that time as well.

Good luck!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:22 AM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Cam, headers, fuel, clutch. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post

Why isn't your tuner getting you a custom sped'd cam to go with your goals? If he's not able to, that would be worrisome. If he's too busy, email Texas-CMS@hotmail.com and tell him exactly what you have on here. The tuner/owner will custom spec a cam or you can go with one of the PD S/C cams in any of their normal packages and be thrilled.

If the tuner is able to tune with FIC's, id go that route. I used them early in my build but had to outgrow them and went with Bosch 1000's.

If 650rwhp is your goal, skip the ZL1 pump and get a twin pump setup. If you have E-85 readily available, get a squash dual pump setup and flex fuel sensor (if your tuner is comfortable tuning it) and an Alky meth kit.

As for the clutch, McLeod RXT is my favorite. Replace the slave with the clutch to save headaches later.

With meth, fuel, LT's, pulley and a cam you will be short of making it to your goals. Add E-85 and you'll exceed them. Mustang dyno's are not good at giving away high numbers but are great for tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Two different FICs, connection and clinic, so specify which ones.

For 650 on a eforce, may need to look into belt upgrades and HE/pump upgrades.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 AM   #8
sam.u.el

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Why isn't your tuner getting you a custom sped'd cam to go with your goals? If he's not able to, that would be worrisome. If he's too busy, email Texas-CMS@hotmail.com and tell him exactly what you have on here. The tuner/owner will custom spec a cam or you can go with one of the PD S/C cams in any of their normal packages and be thrilled.

If the tuner is able to tune with FIC's, id go that route. I used them early in my build but had to outgrow them and went with Bosch 1000's.

If 650rwhp is your goal, skip the ZL1 pump and get a twin pump setup. If you have E-85 readily available, get a squash dual pump setup and flex fuel sensor (if your tuner is comfortable tuning it) and an Alky meth kit.

As for the clutch, McLeod RXT is my favorite. Replace the slave with the clutch to save headaches later.

With meth, fuel, LT's, pulley and a cam you will be short of making it to your goals. Add E-85 and you'll exceed them. Mustang dyno's are not good at giving away high numbers but are great for tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My tuner is a busy guy and is located a couple hours away. I was hoping on saving a little coin with my coworker and I installing the cam and other mods ourselves. As far as having a custom cam built, I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to them, which is why I'm having my coworker help me out. So I wouldn't know what specs to ask for specifically or if they were ideal for what i was looking for.

I appreciate the advice on the fuel pumps and clutch, I'll be looking into them. 650rwhp is really just a stopping point for me. I don't see that there's much more I can do after these mods that will get me further without stroking the engine or adding nitrous which isn't something I want to do, especially since I'm still trying to keep it as a daily driver.
After all this I'll be working on suspension anyway so I'm not too concerned with making more power passed this.

Thanks again for your advice and input!