Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #169
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Vinyl can be a real PITA! Did you use water on the trunk lid and on the vinyl when you installed it? I just replaced my magnetic strip with vinyl and I had some bubbles too. I was able to work them out with the hand squeegie and patience, but that was when it was still wet. My bubbles were water pockets that would ooze out when I worked it from center to edge. It may be too late for you now to work them out though. You may want to call the vendor you got them from for advise! Good luck!
Yea I used some soapy water and was able to work out some pockets that water came out of but some just wont budge. Grr haha now I am even more hesitant to apply my front grill black-out!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #170
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Bummer on the air bubbles bro =( Good news is that it doesn't look too noticeable from a distance. However if you're anything like me it will be the only thing you see when you look at it.

I'd call the vendor and see if they maybe could hook you up.

I was considering doing a DIY on my side stripes, but ended up making an appointment with Burdick to have them installed professionally. Initially I was really wanting to be able to say "I did that" But I've never done vinyl. I'm going to go with "I paid for that"

Honestly, I screwed up putting my upstateC5 decal in my side window LOL So I think I would personally butcher my vinyls.

I'm better at making money than modding my car so $$$$$$$ to the professionals. *sigh* someday.

Either way you've been pretty ambitious and I bet you've learned a ton. Don't get discouraged, nobody wakes up being a professional. Your car looks great bro. Keep it up!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #171
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Bummer on the air bubbles bro =( Good news is that it doesn't look too noticeable from a distance. However if you're anything like me it will be the only thing you see when you look at it.

I'd call the vendor and see if they maybe could hook you up.

I was considering doing a DIY on my side stripes, but ended up making an appointment with Burdick to have them installed professionally. Initially I was really wanting to be able to say "I did that" But I've never done vinyl. I'm going to go with "I paid for that"

Honestly, I screwed up putting my upstateC5 decal in my side window LOL So I think I would personally butcher my vinyls.

I'm better at making money than modding my car so $$$$$$$ to the professionals. *sigh* someday.

Either way you've been pretty ambitious and I bet you've learned a ton. Don't get discouraged, nobody wakes up being a professional. Your car looks great bro. Keep it up!
That is all that I look at haha! The Camaro letters on my windshield were vinly and I did that myself, thought what the heck maybe I found something I am good at but nope haha! I'll have to call the place tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #172
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I'm going to be doing rally stripes on my MPD spoiler when it comes and also hash mark vinyls. Hopefully I learned with the blackout so it will go well! Keep moving forward with your mods and remember, like someone told me recently, if your not making mistakes your not doing anything!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #173
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
I'm going to be doing rally stripes on my MPD spoiler when it comes and also hash mark vinyls. Hopefully I learned with the blackout so it will go well! Keep moving forward with your mods and remember, like someone told me recently, if your not making mistakes your not doing anything!
Good luck! Idk I think I may not of let it sit long enough before I removed the plastic covering off the back. I think I may end up just getting a needle and poke everyone and push the air or whatever is in there out. I tried to look today to see how it the vinyl was but of course it is raining and I can't see anything. Will have to check it out tomorrow, if it seems to be getting better I'll just leave it alone.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #174
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Take a blow dryer to the vinyl and work it slow heating up the air inside the bubbles thus evaporating any moisture that might still be in there!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #175
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Good idea but be VERY carefull with that heat! it's real easy to over heat the vinyl and ruin it! Warm it slowly!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #176
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
Take a blow dryer to the vinyl and work it slow heating up the air inside the bubbles thus evaporating any moisture that might still be in there!
Thanks for the advice! Down side to living in an apartment complex is I don't have access to any power outlets in the parking lot haha! I'll have to buy one very long extension cord.

Quote:
Good idea but be VERY carefull with that heat! it's real easy to over heat the vinyl and ruin it! Warm it slowly!
Thanks for the tip!

It did eventually stop raining today but by that time is was kinda dark and hard to see but it may look like some of the air bubbles have decreased in size. I'll have to check tomorrow and see.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #177
TSSUNAMI

Hey man!

I talked to Big Worm last night at great length about bubbles and vinyl LOL. Definitely find out from the place you bought the kit if it is permeable vinyl. If so then those bubbles will eventually disappear.

If you need a driveway with extension cord access, next monday or tuesday you are more than welcome to use my driveway. Just give me a day or so notice so I can warn the wife that car stuff is going to be happening haha.

Good luck man
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #178
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Hey man!

I talked to Big Worm last night at great length about bubbles and vinyl LOL. Definitely find out from the place you bought the kit if it is permeable vinyl. If so then those bubbles will eventually disappear.

If you need a driveway with extension cord access, next monday or tuesday you are more than welcome to use my driveway. Just give me a day or so notice so I can warn the wife that car stuff is going to be happening haha.

Good luck man
Thanks I'll call up the place either today or tomorrow and I'll shoot you with a pm of what's going on. They say to take a needle and poke a very tiny hole for the air to escape, just a little worried I'll have orange dots all over the place.

Last edited by kjkjr27; 10-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
kjkjr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #179
TSSUNAMI

Sounds like some sound logic there, just buy the smallest needle that you can find.

Either way let me know how you end up! Good luck.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #180
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Well today my poor baby went and had some acupuncture done haha! I went out and bought this huge pack of sewing needles from the dollar store so I could use one to help get rid of the huge bubbles from when I laid down my vinyl trunk blackout. It helped get rid of the really big bubbles but there are still a bunch of little ones. When I was getting rid of the bubbles they were full with the soapy water I had used to help lay it down. I'm hoping over time the tiny bubbles will go away but atleast the huge ones are gone. Here is a before and after picture. Much better but still not 100% perfect.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #181
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
IOM breather is on the way!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #182
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
IOM breather is on the way!
O sweet I was literally just about to call lol thanks!

Tags
12secbuild