Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Tigerrag24

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Dash gauges not working and clicking noise

A couple of days ago my son ask why my speedometer wasnt working. I looked down and my digital speedometer was reading 60 but the analog speedometer was at ZERO. The tach was working. A little later the analog speedometer started spontaneously working but was about 4-5 mph slower than the digital speedometer and my GPS. After a stop and turning the car off it worked correctly. However, since then it has intermittently not worked for various lengths of time. Also, on a couple of occassions the tach, the digital speedometer, and the analog speedometer have not worked at the same time. There does not appear to be any pattern as to when they will not work and when the suddenly start working again.
Also, today I noticed that when I open the door there is a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the console (not from the back of the car as in other threads). This clicking last about 2-3 minutes and then stops. If I shut the door and reopen it the clicking starts again. It does this without puting the key in the ignition.
Has anyone else had the problem and does anyone else have a clue as to the fix???? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.
Tigerrag24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
Warranty time! I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but YOU shouldn't have to with a new car... I doubt that the dealer would have an issue with it. Good luck!

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Sounds like the Gauge cluster may not be tightly fitted to the electrical harness. DEALER TIME. Don't let that go, electrical connections that are not solid can fry circuit boards.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Sounds like a relay is fried or going south. Take it to the shop.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Sounds like a relay is fried or going south. Take it to the shop.
+1 quickly before something bad happens and fries the harness
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Go to the dealer as soon as you can.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
The needle in the speedometer needle may be 'bent' to where it's actually 'dragging' on the face of the speedometer......I know of two others (one on this site) that have the same problem. Supplier put the needle on too far --
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
the Fbodfather has spoken!
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
I know the GTOs had a problem with the needles on the gauges doing whatever they wanted but that was fixed with a simple reflash of the computer that controls all the stuff in the dash.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerrag24 View Post
A couple of days ago my son ask why my speedometer wasnt working. I looked down and my digital speedometer was reading 60 but the analog speedometer was at ZERO. The tach was working. A little later the analog speedometer started spontaneously working but was about 4-5 mph slower than the digital speedometer and my GPS. After a stop and turning the car off it worked correctly. However, since then it has intermittently not worked for various lengths of time. Also, on a couple of occassions the tach, the digital speedometer, and the analog speedometer have not worked at the same time. There does not appear to be any pattern as to when they will not work and when the suddenly start working again.
Also, today I noticed that when I open the door there is a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the console (not from the back of the car as in other threads). This clicking last about 2-3 minutes and then stops. If I shut the door and reopen it the clicking starts again. It does this without puting the key in the ignition.
Has anyone else had the problem and does anyone else have a clue as to the fix???? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

Our dealer discovered a similar problem with my son's SS during PDI. They had to snag a new Instrument cluster (IC) off the assembly line and over night it so my son could take delivery the date on the new was 28 May 2009 which I had written down the P/N. A reflash wasn't the fix.

The dealer was originally going to remove one from a second SS they just received, but GM said that one too "fell into the same VIN range".

So this doesn't appear to be isolated and I'm betting more folks will experience this failure.

Suggest we record VIN's to see how why spread this is. My son's was 4486.

Good luck.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
I have had the zero issue with my speedometer too. It has happened 4 times. The first time it worked ok after I had stopped at my destination and restarted the car to leave again. Then today it did it again, but so far each time I have gotten back in the car and started it, it still sat at 0. As far as I know the digital speed is registering correctly and seems to work. The common denominator in my VIN and Tomservo's is the 86, mine is 2386. But I am sure that doesn't mean a thing. I called the dealer the first time and he said he never had heard anything about it being an issue for other people. I will have to call them Monday to let them know so they can see what to do. He did say he wanted to try reflashing the computer. I hope that is all it is!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Tigerrag24

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Thanks for the responses. My VIN is #480. I took the car to the dealer but they could not reproduce the problem. They did call GM engineering ( or some similar place) and they had not heard of any similar problems. They did file some sort of case report and if it reoccurs I am to take it back. Interesting it hasnt happened again in almost a week. My dealer mentioned that when he got in his dealer car the samething appeared to happen but corrected when he fiddled with the menu button. This was probable a coincidence since I was never messing with my menu button or dash controls when it occured. Everyone who this happens to, even if just once, needs to take it to the dealer so that the extent of this problem can be realized and corrected.
Tigerrag24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
diggermike62
diggermike62

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
Gauge cluster issue

I have a 2SS, I have an intermitent problem with the speedo also. It reads faster than I am actually going. I did take it back to the dealer, and they have ordered a new gauge cluster. problem is that the Camaro's are so new that the dealerships dont have the software for their diagnostic equipment to even look at them. I was told by my dealership that they are getting their programs updated this month. so looking into problemas will get easier as time goes on. Technology ita a wonderful thing.

diggermike62 vin#3276
diggermike62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
camarotoofast
VIN #586 is Home

Drives: 00 Z28 Camaro 69 camaro 81 cam
Send a message via Yahoo to camarotoofast
Took mine to the dealer today lets see what happens. It seems it gets worse when its hot in the car.Texas heat sucks..