Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #309
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Bought the RP100 but having issue with lights. I connected red wire to power, black to ground, ant 1 to purple technostalgia wire, and the ant 2 wire to ground as well. When I press the on button it works, as it should on 3 of the taillights while the far left passenger light is TOTALLY out?! Confused, tried switching the ant wires with each other and still same thing. Taillight works fine when car is on or parking light switch is put on so taillight is fine. Why is the one single taillight on the far passenger side not working in show mode while the rest are? Am I doing something wrong?
MR.Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #310
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I just found this thread and now I'm very nervous about installing these lights on my car this weekend. Very nervous......
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #311
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post
Bought the RP100 but having issue with lights. I connected red wire to power, black to ground, ant 1 to purple technostalgia wire, and the ant 2 wire to ground as well. When I press the on button it works, as it should on 3 of the taillights while the far left passenger light is TOTALLY out?! Confused, tried switching the ant wires with each other and still same thing. Taillight works fine when car is on or parking light switch is put on so taillight is fine. Why is the one single taillight on the far passenger side not working in show mode while the rest are? Am I doing something wrong?
Was this problem fixed? The problem only happens with the remote? If you ground out the wire without the remote connected do all four taillights work in show mode? Makes no sense why one light wouldn't work in show mode only when using the remote?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #312
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
I just found this thread and now I'm very nervous about installing these lights on my car this weekend. Very nervous......
I can understand you being nervous. Here's the really crazy thing, the battery drain doesn't happen to everyone. Some who have these taillights can leave the car parked for weeks and weeks with no drain. Others leave the car parked for one week and the battery is DEAD. Sort of a hit and miss, hope you get a good set. They do look great, but if you end up with a set that does drain the battery some guys have done a different wiring setup. Power is only provided when the key is in the Acc/On position. Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #313
DallasSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS L99 Black on Black
Quote:
Did you get a chance to do it this weekend? How did it turn out? I installed mine, and only the drivers side works. Passenger side doesn't work. Thinking (hoping) I blew a fuse so I'm working through checking them... Emailed Todd to see if there are other troubleshooting steps. I missed going to a rally this weekend because I was up all night working on these then didn't to switch back to the stock lamps (the screws behind the outer lights are tough).

Sidenote, the instructions for the instrument panel fuse block is terrible.. it makes it seem like it's a door, not that you're pulling the entire panel off!
/ranf off
DallasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #314
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Hey TCAT! You Air Force. Nice F-14. If you are thanks for your service to our country. If you were near by I try to help you with your problem I have had the "lights" in question for over a year. Installed them myself. The first time I left out the resistor boxes and it did crazy things. Realized my mistake put the resistor boxes in the line. Hooked up the show mode to a switch which I have used in many car shows and since them I have reeled in the complements from drivers of all kinds, even Mustang drivers. Sorry about your problems. Technostalgia has been good to me. Again sorry. Oh, by the way, the camaro sits for as much as a week at a time. no problem.

Last edited by Broffermoon; 10-06-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Broffermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #315
Normagene

Took my car out last night and I noticed that the outer lite on the passenger side has three of the bottom LEDs out.
Previously had the entire lower U shape ones out, but that was just a loose connection and an easy fix. Three of them out?... That's probably not a loose wire, more likely burnt out somehow??? Anybody had a similar problem.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #316
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Yeah, I have 3 LEDs that are out in one ring too. Seems to be normal to have that happen with the technostalgia lights. You need to send it in to Todd to replace the whole ring basically. Me personally, I am running with the 3 burned out LEDs, was annoying at first but not a big deal to me anymore. Don't think it's worth getting fixed for 3 LEDs in my books.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #317
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post
Yeah, I have 3 LEDs that are out in one ring too. Seems to be normal to have that happen with the technostalgia lights. You need to send it in to Todd to replace the whole ring basically. Me personally, I am running with the 3 burned out LEDs, was annoying at first but not a big deal to me anymore. Don't think it's worth getting fixed for 3 LEDs in my books.
I hear ya, only thing that pisses me off is I did this install like six months ago, and this is the second malfunction. And this second one isn't one I can fix, so like you said; remove it, ship it, wait only god knows how long, re-install it, and hope it last another six months?????? Love the look of these lights, but I wouldn't recommend them and definitely wouldn't do it again. The quality just isn't there. Like I said; they look great, but too many people having too many problems.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #318
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I'm sorry to hear that normagene. These taillights have too many individual LED's, and likely higher chance of malfunction. I'm the same way as you when it comes to fixing something simple like soldering something on the circuit board. The bad thing is that a majority of the public don't do DIY fixes like that I would assume, and many also get a shop to install these. Unfortunately, I can't say I would ever recommend these lights. I never had any issue with mine in regards to malfunctions when I owned them, but it's more likely to happen with all components they have. They do look cool though. The battery issues with them, the potential for malfunction, the pain in the butt of removing them and waiting for them to be fixed by the company, etc. is simply not worth it in my opinion.

I ended up going with the AAC plasma 1.0 afterburner rings. These do require a person to cut into their taillights though, and that may make some owners uncomfortable. It was worth the trouble. The plasmas don't have individually spaced lights so it looks smooth and it's inctedibly bright. I deactivated the running lights like AAC recommended by simply snipping one wire off each buld housing, and that allows the taillights to only be lit when you brake, but and the onlyyyy thing lit when not braking is the afterburner which looks damn amazing. AAC has a 1.0 or 2.0 version of plasna afterburners that are of different shapes/designs. I prefer the 1.0. Since just the afterburner is lit, it looks even better in my opinion than the technos, but that's subjective.

Here is a picture of the 1.0 plasmas I installed in my stock taillights:

TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #319
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSS View Post
Did you get a chance to do it this weekend? How did it turn out? I installed mine, and only the drivers side works. Passenger side doesn't work. Thinking (hoping) I blew a fuse so I'm working through checking them... Emailed Todd to see if there are other troubleshooting steps. I missed going to a rally this weekend because I was up all night working on these then didn't to switch back to the stock lamps (the screws behind the outer lights are tough).

Sidenote, the instructions for the instrument panel fuse block is terrible.. it makes it seem like it's a door, not that you're pulling the entire panel off!
/ranf off
I installed them a few weeks ago. I had one of the afterburner rings go out just two days later. I was freaking pissed. I called Todd and he said it was a simple fix. I did what he told me to do and so far the lights are okay. I love the way they look but I constantly worry about the next failure that will probably come. Obviously I don't know when that'll be.
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #320
Normagene

Quote:
I installed them a few weeks ago. I had one of the afterburner rings go out just two days later. I was freaking pissed. I called Todd and he said it was a simple fix. I did what he told me to do and so far the lights are okay. I love the way they look but I constantly worry about the next failure that will probably come. Obviously I don't know when that'll be.
Same thing here, first one of the rings went out, easy fix, but still a pain in the butt, then or now I should say; three bulbs burnt out. Installed these like six months ago.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #321
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Glad mine are covered locally by phastek. Anything goes wrong and back they go. No issues with battery discharge or show mode or any burnt lights. Had mine for almost a year and 10k miles. Phastek did my install.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #322
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Glad mine are covered locally by phastek. Anything goes wrong and back they go. No issues with battery discharge or show mode or any burnt lights. Had mine for almost a year and 10k miles. Phastek did my install.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Ordered mine from Phastek, so thanks for the reminder, I gotta send them an email/pic to see what they say/recommend. Gotta feeling they're ganna tell me to ship them, which is a pain in the neck to remove, ship, wait, re-install, and hope it all works.