Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
06stalliongt

Drives: 1988 Camaro IROC Z28
some thoughts about the camaro...a new yorkers point of view

ive been registered to this site a little over a year now i havent posted much but i have been paying close attention to the devolpment of the new camaro using this site im on here everyday...my final verdict is its everything gm said it would be n it is truly amazing...that being said...THE PRICING OF THIS CAR IS LUDACRIS!!! GM just cant get it rite...y would they put a 30k(after tax n all the other charges) v6 in the lineup!!! and a true ss2 that will be in the high 30k maybe even 40k after adding the options we all wnt...cuz the ss1 dosent have some options that the ss2 has...there is no mid level v8 n if there was a majority of us would be going after...i hate to say it but i think ford and dodge have it rite... (2 v8's in the line up) nobody really wnts to drive a v6 camaro thats just how its always been n how it always will be...i knw im gonna hear alot of crap about this frm u guys...but its my opinion
06stalliongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stalliongt View Post
ive been registered to this site a little over a year now i havent posted much but i have been paying close attention to the devolpment of the new camaro using this site im on here everyday...my final verdict is its everything gm said it would be n it is truly amazing...that being said...THE PRICING OF THIS CAR IS LUDACRIS!!! GM just cant get it rite...y would they put a 30k(after tax n all the other charges) v6 in the lineup!!! and a true ss2 that will be in the high 30k maybe even 40k after adding the options we all wnt...cuz the ss1 dosent have some options that the ss2 has...there is no mid level v8 n if there was a majority of us would be going after...i hate to say it but i think ford and dodge have it rite... (2 v8's in the line up) nobody really wnts to drive a v6 camaro thats just how its always been n how it always will be...i knw im gonna hear alot of crap about this frm u guys...but its my opinion
Show me a better deal on the planet for a vehicle of this caliber. Please.

Perhaps all the bells and whistles do add a fair amount to the price, but you're speaking in V-6's and V-8's not in nav screens and bluetooth. Show me a 300hp+ 23k car or a 420hp+ 31k car. I dare you.

the 30k after TTL V6 is still a 300hp car. And it is fully loaded. There's something to be said for a rumble of a V8, but its really how fast she goes, not how many cylinders it has. I really don't see how the pricing is "LUDACRIS", when you take a look at hp/dollar it has every other car on the market beat by $10. You're right, there's nothing that lines up parallel to the Mustang GT, but does there need to be? The V6 is going to be close to it performance wise, and for another $3k on top of the GT price you can blow its doors off with an SS. *shrugs*
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties

Last edited by kdbolt70; 10-14-2008 at 05:55 PM.
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
he is not talking about performance completely here, he is talking about convenience and goodies which everyone wants unless it's going to be a strict race car.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
He is a mustang fan, a grain of salt should be used here.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
ucla1ove3

he's a sports car fan, don't hate.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
nobody really wnts to drive a v6 camaro thats just how its always been n how it always will be...i knw im gonna hear alot of crap about this frm u guys...but its my opinion
I want a V6 Camaro. Along with a ton of other people on this site. Don't be so quick to assume that everyone will go for the V8.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
he's a sports car fan, don't hate.
I wasn't hating on him for being a mustang fan, I just mean the degree of the rant should be taken with a grain of salt that's all.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:
THE PRICING OF THIS CAR IS LUDACRIS!!!

Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
ucla1ove3

i want a v6 too. i don't have the money for a v8. nor do i wanna die when the pain at the pump comes back in like 6 months. and also like most people i don't want a stripped car, i love goodies, leather, ambient lighting, halos, BA sound... everthing, so ill get a loaded LT2RS.... hopefully, as long as i can get my friends GM employee discount to work
Old 10-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
06stalliongt

Drives: 1988 Camaro IROC Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
He is a mustang fan, a grain of salt should be used here.
heres my list of cars ive owned to prove ur statement wrong:
1884 Trans Am
1989 Camaro IROC Z
2002 Trans Am ws.6
2006 Monte Carlo SS V8
2008 Chevy Avalanche

and one 2006 Mustang GT cause i wasnt crazy bout the monte carlo and there were no other sports cars out there...i think my devotion to gm is strong enough...wouldnt u agree?

All Im sayin is yeah i respect the technology of a 300hp V6 but muscle cars arent about that...there about balls to the wall power wrapped in an attention grabbing exterior that turns heads and wont put a hole in your pocket
06stalliongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Nevermind... not going there.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

All Im sayin is yeah i respect the technology of a 300hp V6 but muscle cars arent about that...there about balls to the wall power wrapped in an attention grabbing exterior that turns heads and wont put a hole in your pocket
Yes...but welcome to 2008. Gas prices are through the roof. Would I love to have a 2SS model? Hell yes. Can I afford one? No. Can I afford the gas for it? No. But, I will be able to afford a 2LT model with pretty much the same features as the 2SS for less money, better fuel economy, but still have great performance.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I am in the same boat.. unfortunately its SLIGHTLY higher than I thought it would be and I believe I can get it down to invoice.

That said..

YES its a great deal for what you are getting, NO its a $h1tty deal compared to the mustang. GM wanted to compete on the mustangs level.. but are too far above it content wise.

Basically these are 2 cars in separate categories (AGAIN) and the mustang will sell more based on price ALONE. This is where GM screwed up.. yes they wanted to give us more content.. but they need to price it LIKE a mustang regardless of content.

Personally I think they should have cut back content to compete better on price. But we have to live with what they did.

Edit: final thought... Content doesn't sell cars... PRICE sells cars. The general public is going to hear 30k for a v8 and immediately head to the mustang becuase its a v8 and cheaper.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
#1 Glad to meet another enthusiast! Hope you're enjoying the rebirth of reasonably priced power and performance!! (not to mention style and presence!!) FWIW, "presence" is not the same as a Christmas present...
#2 When trying to get your point across and establish legitimacy, proper spelling and correct grammar really does go a long way.
#3 "Ludacris" is a group - not an adjective. (thank you for spelling Camaro correctly!)
#4 So you think nobody wants to drive a V6 Camaro... because "that's how it's always been"?
Oh man, for your information, that was yesterday... and today is now. I have driven the V6 Camaro and to put it in the simplest of terms, IT'S JUST FREAKIN' AWESOME. This car is a huge surprise and just joy to drive!
#5 1SS is simply one of the best, if not the best performance car values that's been made available to our market in a very long time - most likely since before when you were born... but... that doesn't necessarily make you a bad person!
#6 No mid-level V8 is a concern for you?!?
Here's a philosophy you can take to the bank:
"ANYTHING WORTH DOING, IS WORTH OVERDOING
We don't need no steenkin' "mid-level" V8s - especially with a V6 car that runs 0-60 times in 6 seconds... or less!!
#7 Do your homework, and the math... so that you find a way to get your prices right... and then make your comparisons!
#8 Thank you for your post and allowing me the opportunity to do this!!! I've had an absolute blast!
I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing you in your new 5th Gen!! What color do you think you might be ordering?!?

Best regardSS,

Elie