Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Dynojet dynos typically give much higher (inflated) numbers than a Mustang dyno.
its the other way around, mustang dynos give higher numbers than a dynojet.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
That sounds like pretty good #'s for what was done! One thing I can say is, every dyno is different, every tuner is different and every day is different!
Agreed. Fantastic numbers for the mods! Congrats.

And yes, I've seen the same car go 446 on one dyno in town and 403 on another dyno at a different shop here in town in the same day so anything is completely possible.

No need to bash especially since he has a Sheet AND the Video.

Congrats Friend,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #17
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
its the other way around, mustang dynos give higher numbers than a dynojet
Dynojets are the most inflated dynos. Like Ivan said though, good for him and his gains, I don't know why every dyno with good numbers is BS.

Good job OP
Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
sounds like you need to take it to the track
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Camarorss350
camaro blogger

Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
Thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate it and i do realize Dyno numbers can vary, and there's always going to be arguments over which Dyno is more accurate. But all i have to say is that this job was done with no BS, at a shop with a VERY up to date set-up, and by a Tuner that has much experience in the LS* engine world. If you guys have any questions, call up Andrew, his contact is on the dyno sheet, he'd be happy to talk

Once again thanks for all the comments guys! Once i get her down to Englishtown, i will post up my numbers :P
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
AndrewZPSU

Drives: 2014 Corvette M7
Hey Guys, I'm the Andrew he's talking about. I just wanted to chime in and let you guys know the dyno is just a tuning tool.

An inertia driven dyno, like my dynojet, is the best for comparing cars to each other because there is no factor like weight put into the equation. The dynojet dynos are calibrated from the factory to all read within 1-2 hp of each other.

The only measurement that the dyno works off of is how quickly a car accelerates that roller. Thats how it generates your horsepower, and combine that with your rpm, it backs out your torque through an equation.

Now uncorrected numbers swing all the time, different temperatures, humidity, etc. In which we have correction factors to try to minimize the differences between the "different days, different weather" stuff. In my experience people use SAE with smoothing on 5 in as the standard in comparison. If they want to inflate their numbers they use STD and I think his put down 412 rwhp if you use that correction factor.

Now in my experience with my dyno, it dynoed my car exactly the same as two other local dyno jets. So I don't feel that my dyno puts out unrealistic numbers. In fact, the last guy that came in was told he made 412 rwhp and we put it on the dyno and it only made 373.

Now a mustang dyno (or a load bearing dyno) usually factors in weight, creates resistance, and then outputs numbers. This dyno is better for dialing in the tune and gets much better at mimicking real world street conditions. Unfortunately mustang dynos are not the best comparison tools because of the customization factor. They can have massive swings between different mustang dynos, and people could say it is a high dyno or a low dyno easy.

Now my personal opinion on this Camaro is that the AirAid intake is awesome. I have one on my vette and a before and after comparison I went from 476 to 501 rwhp... yeah... big gain. And here I was a believer in the stock airbox being great.... dreams shattered. LOL

Looking forward to meeting more of the Camaro crew, trying to organize a West Chester, PA cruise/meet on the GTO and G8 boards. I suppose we could include our Camaro brothers too =P

Andrew
AndrewZPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Rallyman6

Drives: '10 2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, Roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Dynojets are the most inflated dynos. Like Ivan said though, good for him and his gains, I don't know why every dyno with good numbers is BS.

Good job OP
Mustang dynos are the most conservative - dynojets are always inflated

2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, 6MT, IO Interior, Roof, Eibach Sways, BC Coilovers, BMR Swing arms,Barton Short Shift, BBK LT's, GMPP exhaust, Hi-Flow Cats, MAST Stage 2 Cam, CAI = 470RWHP
Rallyman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
As said dyno's are tuning tools.Since I've tuned a few cars with the same mods that made 385-390rwhp I would beleive a few lucky people got alittle stronger motors.

As for dyno's they can all read different.Point is to stay with the same dyno while modding for better comparison of gains.

For which one is better? I used a dynojet 248 for 6 years and now have a Mustang 1100se. After ussing the Mustang for 2 years I'll never go back to a dynojet. Much better for tuning,expecially high HP setups.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
AndrewZPSU

Drives: 2014 Corvette M7
^^^
When I grab a new dyno, I'll probably stick with dynojet, but I'll be sure to get the eddy current system with it. Although, I suppose it depends what the consumer in my market is looking for at that point. And to make sure I can do what I need to do.
AndrewZPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #24
brada

Drives: CGM SS 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZPSU View Post
Hey Guys, I'm the Andrew he's talking about. I just wanted to chime in and let you guys know the dyno is just a tuning tool.

An inertia driven dyno, like my dynojet, is the best for comparing cars to each other because there is no factor like weight put into the equation. The dynojet dynos are calibrated from the factory to all read within 1-2 hp of each other.

The only measurement that the dyno works off of is how quickly a car accelerates that roller. Thats how it generates your horsepower, and combine that with your rpm, it backs out your torque through an equation.

Now uncorrected numbers swing all the time, different temperatures, humidity, etc. In which we have correction factors to try to minimize the differences between the "different days, different weather" stuff. In my experience people use SAE with smoothing on 5 in as the standard in comparison. If they want to inflate their numbers they use STD and I think his put down 412 rwhp if you use that correction factor.

Now in my experience with my dyno, it dynoed my car exactly the same as two other local dyno jets. So I don't feel that my dyno puts out unrealistic numbers. In fact, the last guy that came in was told he made 412 rwhp and we put it on the dyno and it only made 373.

Now a mustang dyno (or a load bearing dyno) usually factors in weight, creates resistance, and then outputs numbers. This dyno is better for dialing in the tune and gets much better at mimicking real world street conditions. Unfortunately mustang dynos are not the best comparison tools because of the customization factor. They can have massive swings between different mustang dynos, and people could say it is a high dyno or a low dyno easy.

Now my personal opinion on this Camaro is that the AirAid intake is awesome. I have one on my vette and a before and after comparison I went from 476 to 501 rwhp... yeah... big gain. And here I was a believer in the stock airbox being great.... dreams shattered. LOL

Looking forward to meeting more of the Camaro crew, trying to organize a West Chester, PA cruise/meet on the GTO and G8 boards. I suppose we could include our Camaro brothers too =P

Andrew
this is a very interesting topic.!!!
I just had my 6spd SS bone stock no mods dynoed earlier today. We did 4 pulls on a mustang dyno and waited until the car cooled to 170 deg before every pull.
I averaged 327 rwhp and the tuner said that his machine runs about 10% lower than others.
Prior to that i witnessed a dyno of a bone stock GT500 that pulled a 419 rwhp average and them 463 average after a cold air kit install.
My question is , how much do u think stock to stock camaro numbers vary.. 9given all thing being equal) ?
brada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #25
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Nice numbers buddy! Don`t worry about the naysayers, it is possible the dyno reads high, but who cares you ran those numbers and I for one like them!
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #26
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Welcome to the 400+ rwhp club!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
SShift

Drives: Only Bowties!
Lets see some track times
SShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brada View Post
this is a very interesting topic.!!!
I just had my 6spd SS bone stock no mods dynoed earlier today. We did 4 pulls on a mustang dyno and waited until the car cooled to 170 deg before every pull.
I averaged 327 rwhp and the tuner said that his machine runs about 10% lower than others.
Prior to that i witnessed a dyno of a bone stock GT500 that pulled a 419 rwhp average and them 463 average after a cold air kit install.
My question is , how much do u think stock to stock camaro numbers vary.. 9given all thing being equal) ?

My completely stock LS3 pulled 357rwhp on a mustang dyno two days ago, I know that is low compared to others but, the shop operator guessed it would put down 358 based off of other LS3's he has dynoed.
He was within 1hp, pretty good guess but, that tells me that no matter what others are reporting I am where I should be on his dyno and I plan on using his dyno after all my mods to see what works for me and what was a waste of money.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote