Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
What do we really "know" about the "Z/28"?

Now..we know that everyone, their mother, sister and dog were convinced that the LSA powered Camaro was going to be the "Z/28". It wasnt, instead GM brought a proper name for a HP monster back from the the dead, the ZL1.

Now people are convinced that GM is still going to make a Z/28, but why? I'm not stirring the pot, calling anyone a fanboy or a liar, I just want to etablish what the Camaro and automotive community (myself being a member of the latter) either know, think they know, suspect or want to have revealed, about the Z/28.

IIRC, we know Fbodfather commented that GM would not put the properly respected and legendary Z/28 name on any car that was not worthy of it.

What is really known about the Z/28? Consider this kind of like the ZL1's "FAQS AND FACTS" thread.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I think it is safe to say that GM will make a Z28. I just don't think it will be as soon as some hope. I truley believe the Z28 will come in the 6th gen form with a high reving, race inspired 5.5L V8 (DI & VVT) that I keep reading about. The 6th gen will also be much lighter than the current platform. Add on the typical suspension and braking upgrades, similar to the 302 Boss and the Z28 is a winner...and one worth waiting for, IMHO.

I know nothing I posted is fact, but it is fact that GM is working on a 5.5L V8 for the Corvette. I dont't think Camaro sales are going to fall off without a Boss compeitor, the SS and ZL1 will have enough momentum to carry the out the 5th duties on their own. Then GM can do it right with the lightweight Z28.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I know nothing I posted is fact, but it is fact that GM is working on a 5.5L V8 for the Corvette.
Which will more than likely mean a 5.5L powered Z/28 would now bow until the beginning of the 6th generation Camaro. Traditionally all new advancements and technology appears in the Corvette a full two years before they appear in anything else.

If, and this is a big if, the 5.5L engine comes out late next year (with the C7 Corvette) that could indicate a 2014 premier for the Z/28 with a 5.5L.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
Which will more than likely mean a 5.5L powered Z/28 would now bow until the beginning of the 6th generation Camaro. Traditionally all new advancements and technology appears in the Corvette a full two years before they appear in anything else.

If, and this is a big if, the 5.5L engine comes out late next year (with the C7 Corvette) that could indicate a 2014 premier for the Z/28 with a 5.5L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I think it is safe to say that GM will make a Z28. I just don't think it will be as soon as some hope. I truley believe the Z28 will come in the 6th gen form with a high reving, race inspired 5.5L V8 (DI & VVT) that I keep reading about. The 6th gen will also be much lighter than the current platform. Add on the typical suspension and braking upgrades, similar to the 302 Boss and the Z28 is a winner...and one worth waiting for, IMHO.

I know nothing I posted is fact, but it is fact that GM is working on a 5.5L V8 for the Corvette. I dont't think Camaro sales are going to fall off without a Boss compeitor, the SS and ZL1 will have enough momentum to carry the out the 5th duties on their own. Then GM can do it right with the lightweight Z28.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
First of all by what definition, and based loosely on which Generation, constitutes the aforesaid "worthy Z/28"?

I've had personal experience with both a Gen-1 '68 and a Gen-2 '73 Z/28. I've had experience with Gen-3 and -4 T/As. I've also had a Gen-5 Camaro. All have their own particular "flavor", but to me a "Z/28" is less about all-out 1/4-mile performance as opposed to a more fully "balanced" experience with a road-racy bent. Turn the 'wheel and the car turns now...and sticks. Stop with a capital S. Equal to, or better than, any comparable Pony car in the marketplace.

That was what Ford devised and defined when their response, the BOSS 302, appeared in '69. And that is what their version is, now. But Ford has had several years of GT 500 experience in the marketplace to saturate their heritaged high-margin 1/4-mile king, and therefore a more "matured" buyer body to listen to, and respond to...and, to their credit, they have! "The BOSS is Back!"

What can be done to a Gen-5 SS to make it quickly/readily marketable at a price between the SS and ZL1, while being at least an equal to the BOSS? And, as the sunset of Gen-5 quickly approaches, is there the time, the will, and the business case to see a Gen-5 version arrive, thrive, and prosper? Or, is there fear that a "proper Z/28" will, in fact, cannibalize ZL1 sales? Near- or equal-to-ZL1 track numbers with superior "feel" at a "bargain-basement" price-point?

As to a "recipe" for a Gen-5 Z/28, that has been beat to death...with the quickest, most cost-effective version likely housing such things as FE4, wet-sump'd LS7, ZL1 driveline (excluding MR) and brakes and wheels/tires, on an option-limited, batch-built basis for something around $45K. With an almost 8 lb. to ft-lb. ratio, handily beating the BOSS's 9.5...

Gen-5 engine in a Gen-5 chassis? Only if the final product's pounds per ft-lb. is less than 9, which, in a 3800 lb+ Gen-5 Camaro, means the normally aspirated Gen-5 V8 must produce more than 425 ft-lb of torque...and I doubt, if a 5.5 L version is the best they have, that will be the case. Seems to me a Gen-5 V8 is best suited to a "Jenny Craig'd" Alpha Gen-6 Camaro, anticipated at something in the 35-3600 lb area as an n/a V8 version (similar to the current Mustang).

Now if the Gen-5 engine is, in fact, 6.2 L, then 425 ft-lb will be no problem...the current LS3 is 420, and DI will add "grunt".

Sources thusfar have warned us not to confuse the C6-R's 5.5 L V8 as being production-specific as far as displacement...

So what do we REALLY know about a resurrected Z/28? Not much...but DO "stay tuned"...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 06-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
What we know for sure....

NOTHING!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
What we know for sure....

NOTHING!
That's not exactly true...is it?

A "Z/28" WILL BE:

1) A Camaro

2) Performance-oriented towards handling/braking beyond mere SS standards

3) Regarded as a "halo" for folks not seeking Super Stock status

4) A strong seller

5) A worthy BOSS-beater!

...or it simply will NOT exist under that name...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
That's not exactly true...is it?

A "Z/28" WILL BE:

1) A Camaro

2) Performance-oriented towards handling/braking beyond mere SS standards

3) Regarded as a "halo" for folks not seeking Super Stock status

4) A strong seller

5) A worthy BOSS-beater!

...or it simply will NOT exist under that name...
You know what I meant...
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
In short, we know absolutely nothing about the Z28. Everything is what we'd like to see, but we don't even know if something resembling our 'vision' of a zedder will actually be built on the Zeta/5th Gen platform. And if we don't know the 'if' then we certainly don't know the 'what'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
All we really KNOW is that GM has given no indication that there will be one... :/

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
What we know "for sure" is......

1) Please, please, please, everyone stop bringing up the 5.5L. That displacement is not destined for production.

2) GM is VERY interested in a proper Z/28. I was essentially told that directly. Thank you Boss.

3) GM feels that a 4100 pound, supercharged, (now with available automatic trans - of all things), pacakage is not what they want to put a Z/28 emblem on to.
Number 3,
This post made me very happy.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
All we really KNOW is that GM has given no indication that there will be one... :/
Only if you read between the lines.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Number 3,
This post made me very happy.
As it should...............I've said it before if any one posting in this thread or others on the mythical Z/28 that believes GM isn't also thinking about it, well I have a bridge to sell you. LOL

Of course GM is very interested.

Experience tells me that doesn't mean it will happen.:(

Last edited by Number 3; 06-21-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
when is the 6th gen expected to debut?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote