Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
I dont think a lot of guys will have the balls to send their stuff off. Either A they they dont know what theyre product can do and dont want to find out. And or B that they know they just whipped something together for a quick 300 bucks off of somebody
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Just tracked the ADM number posted earlier in the thread... it shows delivery in one (1) day, so hopefully they don't wait for all the units to arrive before testing!

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
OK, we Have, Revolution and ADM on the Way who else is going to step up to the plate?

To answer some of the questions here is a link to my Dyno cell Designed and built by myself with some guidance from Superflow back in 02, the pictures are old and paint and upgrades are constant.

http://www.jannettyracing.com/dynotuningct.shtml

I have 38,000 Cubic Feet per Minute, or 90 tons of air per minute coming in to the dyno room to similate on road driving.

That is a 4 foot diameter pipe with a tapered 3 ft diameter nozzel, air exits the pipe at 60 mph.

My Superflow dyno is a fully loaded system that has 48 inputs for sensors of my choice, temps, pressures, electrical, weather station, tach, speedo, you name it.

I am excited to see who is who in cold air kits.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Where are the other guys???? Do they think they are too good to have their CAI tested by an outside source? I was looking at several different systems and decided to go with Andy's at ADM Performance. Andy is very sure of his product and I think it is in the top 2 out of 10 or so that are out there in the looks department.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
What will the AFR be, As not all units work at the same AFR #, And you can not go from OEM to CAI and not drive the car as much as 150 MI to go back to the OEM AFR, As this computer takes a long time to learn, and if you remove the battery cable you still need to drive the car at list 100 mi to get the ecm back to where it was before you put the last CAI on the car.

And how do you know if the units are going to give you timing or pull the timing on the deferent units so there are so many ways to do this that it dos not work, If you billd a unit to lean out the AFM then you will get a high HP # but you will blow up the ls3 if the ECM puts timing in.

more to came as i have to go.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #20
Number_9

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
What will the AFR be, As not all units work at the same AFR #, And you can not go from OEM to CAI and not drive the car as much as 150 MI to go back to the OEM AFR, As this computer takes a long time to learn, and if you remove the battery cable you still need to drive the car at list 100 mi to get the ecm back to where it was before you put the last CAI on the car.

And how do you know if the units are going to give you timing or pull the timing on the deferent units so there are so many ways to do this that it dos not work, If you billd a unit to lean out the AFM then you will get a high HP # but you will blow up the ls3 if the ECM puts timing in.

more to came as i have to go.
I think this is actually going to be a valid test on the basis of simplicity. It will show "If I bolt this thing in what will it do immediately". This is the worst case scenario of what it will do, as you pointed out the ECM is going to make adjustments over time which would improve the results.

So whatever units are tested, the results will show the immediate gains relative to one another, and for certain units the results may improve over time but at least people will know what the minimum improvement will be.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think this is actually going to be a valid test on the basis of simplicity. It will show "If I bolt this thing in what will it do immediately". This is the worst case scenario of what it will do, as you pointed out the ECM is going to make adjustments over time which would improve the results.

So whatever units are tested, the results will show the immediate gains relative to one another, and for certain units the results may improve over time but at least people will know what the minimum improvement will be.
I don't care what happens immediately. I care about how it will perform in the long run. I want to see how performance changes after the ECU has adjusted over time. One unit may perform better than another 5 minutes into testing, but after 100 miles you may have a completely different story. I don't know about you, but I prefer the latter.

Ted, thanks for doing this. I hope most of the vendors participate. Being as detailed as you are, I'm sure you'll be documenting the entire testing process and trying your best to keep all conditions the same for all tests.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #24
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
OK, we Have, Revolution and ADM on the Way who else is going to step up to the plate?

To answer some of the questions here is a link to my Dyno cell Designed and built by myself with some guidance from Superflow back in 02, the pictures are old and paint and upgrades are constant.

http://www.jannettyracing.com/dynotuningct.shtml

I have 38,000 Cubic Feet per Minute, or 90 tons of air per minute coming in to the dyno room to similate on road driving.

That is a 4 foot diameter pipe with a tapered 3 ft diameter nozzel, air exits the pipe at 60 mph.

My Superflow dyno is a fully loaded system that has 48 inputs for sensors of my choice, temps, pressures, electrical, weather station, tach, speedo, you name it.

I am excited to see who is who in cold air kits.

Hey Ted, will you be testing both the L99 And the LS3?
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I don't care what happens immediately. I care about how it will perform in the long run. I want to see how performance changes after the ECU has adjusted over time. One unit may perform better than another 5 minutes into testing, but after 100 miles you may have a completely different story. I don't know about you, but I prefer the latter.

Ted, thanks for doing this. I hope most of the vendors participate. Being as detailed as you are, I'm sure you'll be documenting the entire testing process and trying your best to keep all conditions the same for all tests.
Then put away your pitchforks! He's offering a testing service that no other place is willing to do. It's a fair comparison.

Or... would you prefer he drives over 1,000 miles (100+ for each CAI)?

Sometimes the silliness of this board gets to me.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #26
Number_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
Hey Ted, will you be testing both the L99 And the LS3?
"Good question!", said the L99 owner.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #27
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Then put away your pitchforks! He's offering a testing service that no other place is willing to do. It's a fair comparison.

Or... would you prefer he drives over 1,000 miles (100+ for each CAI)?

Sometimes the silliness of this board gets to me.
I'm going to ignore your last line. You obviously didn't understand what I said.

I'm not saying this test is useless or that I don't appreciate him doing this. I'm simply pointing out that for a true comparison, the ECU needs to be "broken in". I can't say I know how long this process takes. Ten miles or 100 miles, who knows?

Yes, you will see what the gains are right off the bat, but it will not be representative of what owners will see over the life of their unit. Still, this will be a good test to weed out the CAI's that really don't do anything but look good.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Others have offered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
We did two back to back pulls to get accurate results. As for the hood being closed, we have done dyno testing that proved a difference of less than 2hp, which is standing still on the dyno. If you have a CAI system on your car already and would like to bring it to our shop, I will make two back to back pulls with the system currently on your car and then install our CAI system and to prove ours is the best on the market today.
Second CAI on the dyno won the test here without driving it... I'm sure the similar location of both MAFs may have helped.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36533

I'd get rid of the stock box and put some miles on with the first CAI... then use those settings since they will no doubt be closer across the board than stock would be. JMHO...

Last edited by mlee; 09-22-2009 at 09:34 AM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote