Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #71
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Were the spark plugs wet with oil?
No, just looked really "burnt" covered in soot like the tail pipes on our cars.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #72
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
This is reassuring in the sense that it sounds similar to what has happened to me. It started about 170 miles south of Tallahassee, just a rough idle and a misfire going up a hill. But then it got worse to the point of where my car was going up a large hill (rpms were building) and the engine died. It wouldn't start until I changed my spark plugs (which were nasty) but even after that it ran very very rough. So its possible the MAF was going bad which resulted in unnecessary fuel being added which ruined my spark plugs (someone want to confirm?)

I'll take it easy going home and try not to build much boost and possibly ruin another MAF and be stranded in the middle of no where.

Cisco, how did your car act right before the MAF went out?
When me and Tracy first took it out I punched it and the car just died and didn't want to start until we replaced the MAF. Right after I got my new 6psi tune from Vince I had maxed out the MAF again. But it still was working but I was idling real bad. It was up and down between 300-800RPM's. I cleaned the MAF and it helped alittle and thats when I seen my sensor wire was bent from the forced air. I started to run rough again and that's when I upgraded to the NGK plugs which helped also. It started again just not as bad yesterday it was up and down about a difference of 50-100RPM's. So this morning I looked at my MAF and it's splitting now lmfao. So this is the main issue we have now. If the MAF isn't working right the plugs will not ark right. This isn't a RX problem it's just a price we pay to go fast.

The red circle is where the air sample is collected. The Yellow is where it exits. This small hole can't handle all that extra forced air. Like I said mine is starting to split in half with all the boost. But I found a MAF that I will test out to see if it solves our lttle issue.

Check this out. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224753
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #73
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Wow sounds like you guys are pushing some serious power!!! Just another testament of Tracy's workmanship. I hope you can get that sorted out. (Please break the 500rwph mark Baylor or CSme!)
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #74
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Doesn't look like my MAF is splitting. Looks pretty good actually. I took pictures with my phone. I'll see if I can get them uploaded.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #75
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Pictures of my current MAF. Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #76
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
It has some type of metal on it? Seriously I wish I knew what a healthy one looked like and could offer some intelligent insight. Wondering if im gonna have the same problemo... I guess my kit is shipping out at the end of next week. Will be watching this with keen interest. How much is a MAF sensor?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #77
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Pictures of my current MAF. Thoughts?

You could just be maxed out. Data log and send to Vince. Are you tuned for the extra HP? But it could also be a faulty MAF. When me and Tracy took out my old one it look fine, but it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #78
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Well Tracy loaded in a base tune from Vince the day I got it. But I don't think that was tuned for the over drive pulley. I just emailed Vince about possibly dataloging and checking out the MAF setting. However tomorrow is Saturday so I dunno. UGH, so frustrating.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #79
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Well Tracy loaded in a base tune from Vince the day I got it. But I don't think that was tuned for the over drive pulley. I just emailed Vince about possibly dataloging and checking out the MAF setting. However tomorrow is Saturday so I dunno. UGH, so frustrating.
That's the only down fall of going FI in a LLT. Vince is really the only choice, I sent him a log 3 weeks ago and no update yet. And he doesn't respond to messages also.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #80
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
That's the only down fall of going FI in a LLT. Vince is really the only choice, I sent him a log 3 weeks ago and no update yet. And he doesn't respond to messages also.
Yup, it sucks!

I've been reading on the forums that if you change the MAF location you MUST get a new tune. I do not know if the tune that Tracy loaded in from Vince already took that into account or not. But this could be an issue, I would think.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #81
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Yup, it sucks!

I've been reading on the forums that if you change the MAF location you MUST get a new tune. I do not know if the tune that Tracy loaded in from Vince already took that into account or not. But this could be an issue, I would think.
This is a unknown to me but have heard it before. But I doubt it, look at it like this. All the aftermarket intakes out there now have the MAF in different locations. And none require a tune, So I think Vince just needs to retune for the new power/flow. I'm thinking this Jet MAF could solve the issue for us if it really does allow more flow. But that's a pretty high price for a MAF. If your 8psi's is equal to my 6psi's we could both be having the same issues.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #82
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
If your 8psi's is equal to my 6psi's we could both be having the same issues.
Fingers crossed!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #83
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

*UPDATE*

looks like it was the MAF. Been driving the car around by the hotel for several mins, got on it up until about 6 psi of boost. Looking good so far. I sent Vince a log just now. So it looks like our stupid MAF is the Achilles heel of our FI set ups lol..
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #84
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
*UPDATE*

looks like it was the MAF. Been driving the car around by the hotel for several mins, got on it up until about 6 psi of boost. Looking good so far. I sent Vince a log just now. So it looks like our stupid MAF is the Achilles heel of our FI set ups lol..
That is awesome I been waiting to see an update from you this morning. So now we went from needing a fuel pump to a damn MAF. Was talking with Tracy this morning and we are going to look into the JET Performance MAF. Glad to see you are up and running. But keep a eye on the MAF like every 2 weeks to make sure it looks good. I will post pictures of how mine is splitting when I have the chance.