Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
ChrisYi1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Zl1 front end conversion... Fogs dont light up

So I purchased a zl1 front for my ss rs with 2ssrs's harness. I asked him to wire it so that when the headlights are on, all 4 fogs are also on. It does work. I tried turning the car on with the bulbs not in the housing. So i know they're turning on but when u look at the car they look off. Nothing shines through the fogs. Maybe they're angled wrong? Not sure...
Thanks in advance.
ChrisYi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Wait, so the lights come on? But just aren't bright enough for you? That right?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
ChrisYi1

Yea I can't see anything through the projector housing foglight. It's completely blank but the lights are on inside. Maybe they're angled wrong?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Probably. Doesn't seem the bulbs are at fault since you say their on.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
ChrisYi1

Here's a pic. Lights r on inside but don't shine through
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
The Stig

Did you put them in correctly?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
ChrisYi1

Yup... Like all other lights I lined it up and a clockwise turn until it locked into place. The fog lights snapped into the housings. Maybe I put the left one in the right side and the right side in the left? Will that make a difference being at the wrong angle?

Last edited by ChrisYi1; 07-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
The Stig

Maybe?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYi1 View Post
So I purchased a zl1 front for my ss rs with 2ssrs's harness. I asked him to wire it so that when the headlights are on, all 4 fogs are also on. It does work. I tried turning the car on with the bulbs not in the housing. So i know they're turning on but when u look at the car they look off. Nothing shines through the fogs. Maybe they're angled wrong? Not sure...
Thanks in advance.
Here's the deal with this. The DRL's are a digital (pulse width modulated) circuit controlled by the BCM. The foglights are controlled by a switch that turns on a relay to send "full" voltage/amperage to the foglamp bulbs. If by chance because your car has the RS package the person wiring up your harness used the digital signal from the BCM to control all lights you may not be getting full power to them. They should all turn off at night though if this is the case. If the are on all the time regardless of outside lighting conditions, and he used another source without a relay to get full power, it may be possible that there is too much amperage being pulled through the circuit used, or possibly they got wired in series instead of parallel, which would also give the situation you describe. Just some things to consider!
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYi1 View Post
Here's a pic. Lights r on inside but don't shine through
I see them on, there not a lot of power from 6-11 whatt LED's if you want more light you need to get the 50 watt LED, if you open the new fogs there is a baffle in side that cuts 1/2 the light that comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFERNOSS View Post
Here's the deal with this. The DRL's are a digital (pulse width modulated) circuit controlled by the BCM. The foglights are controlled by a switch that turns on a relay to send "full" voltage/amperage to the foglamp bulbs. If by chance because your car has the RS package the person wiring up your harness used the digital signal from the BCM to control all lights you may not be getting full power to them. They should all turn off at night though if this is the case. If the are on all the time regardless of outside lighting conditions, and he used another source without a relay to get full power, it may be possible that there is too much amperage being pulled through the circuit used, or possibly they got wired in series instead of parallel, which would also give the situation you describe. Just some things to consider!
Nice, but we do use a relay to get power, and i dont wire to the BCM, so its not that, and last its not run in series or the last bulb will not come on as there are 4 wires going to 4 bulbs.

if you use the 6 watt LED on the small bulb you only see 1/2 of that see ^ as there is a baffle in side ( like your RS headlight, but you cant make it move out of the way to show your hi beam ) if you have 11 watt then you show only 5.5 but if you run 50 watt ones you see 25 worth of light..
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Yea. The 50wat should do the trick.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Nice, but we do use a relay to get power, and i dont wire to the BCM, so its not that, and last its not run in series or the last bulb will not come on as there are 4 wires going to 4 bulbs.

if you use the 6 watt LED on the small bulb you only see 1/2 of that see ^ as there is a baffle in side ( like your RS headlight, but you cant make it move out of the way to show your hi beam ) if you have 11 watt then you show only 5.5 but if you run 50 watt ones you see 25 worth of light..
Okay, one question. Why are you using an LED bulb in a projector lamp? My experience and knowledge of projectors, is that the cut off plate inside is to help focus the light with a cutoff point. Even the best of LED's can't accomplish this. Unless I am interpreting your post wrong.

Projectors in a hi/low configuration, do not move the plate, they pull the bulb in/out on a solenoid to change focus on the reflector. This is why LED's don't work, no true light bouncing off the reflector.
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
I'm no help for your problem, but that pic looks bada$$!!!!! The ZL1 front end with the painted heritage grill is a perfect combo IMO.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFERNOSS View Post
Okay, one question. Why are you using an LED bulb in a projector lamp? My experience and knowledge of projectors, is that the cut off plate inside is to help focus the light with a cutoff point. Even the best of LED's can't accomplish this. Unless I am interpreting your post wrong.

Projectors in a hi/low configuration, do not move the plate, they pull the bulb in/out on a solenoid to change focus on the reflector. This is why LED's don't work, no true light bouncing off the reflector.
Have you looked in side your RS headlights? if you did then you know that this is not how the camaro RS Projector headlights work, the plate moves in this cars headlight, now for the fogs on this post the plate does not move nor does the bulb, that is why i said get the 50watt bulb, it gives a nice cut off light and is vary bright.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote