Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
New build

After killing one monoblock by plug-n-play without a ground loop isolator, I'm on my way to building a modest, moderately high powered system driven by the factory head unit.

/public service announcement
Beware the constant 6 volt DC signal that is present on the speaker lines. This is called a ground loop-- an intentional design. I don't care what brand amp you run, or how many folks say "don't worry about it", there is no reason NOT to remove this signal with a ground loop isolator. Its not worth the risk-- isolators are very cheap. And, the DC signal is "noise" that can show up in the amplified signal... you've heard it before... sounds like a buzz that changes with engine rev. Just get rid of it up front... one less thing to worry about.
/end public service announcement

I've been accumulating parts for a couple of months now and still have more to buy. But, I thought I'd share the install in case others are interested in doing something similar.

Parts List:
******** X3 harness and X2 harness when available www.********.com
PAC Audio OEM-2 LOC/ground loop isolator www.pacaudio.com
Hifonics ZXi 60.4 + 1K 5 channel amp http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Zeus_ZXi_Amps.html
Focal Polyglass 6.5" components for front stage www.zalytron.com
Focal Polyglass 6.5 woofs for rear fill
Polk db1040 x2 10" subs in home made box gift from Fry's
100sqft of Fatmat's Rattle Mat (80mil stuff) www.ebay.com

It begins with a ******** X3 harness into a PAC Audio "OEM-2" line level converter/ground loop isolator, into a Hifonics Zeus ZXi60.4+1K 5 channel amp.

The subs are Polk db1040 SVCs that will be wired in parallel to present a 2 ohm load to the amp for 750 watts of class D goodness. They will be going into either a ******** 2.2cuft dual 10 enclosure, or I'll be building something similar myself. I'll also be installing 10 inch passive radiators in lieu of ports. The box/radiators will be tuned to 26hz so neither the drivers or radiators exceed their xmax. Subsonic filter will need set to 20 hz to achieve this goal as well. I'll be refinishing the box in black and orange vinyl to match the car.

So far, the entire trunk and doors have been damped with FatMat's RattleMat-- an 80mil material that sticks like crazy and is about 1/3 the price of Dynamate Extreme (60 mils?). Amazing difference in the factory sound already. The 6x9's actually hit pretty good now. The 2ga power and ground wire has been installed as well. I'm struggling with where and how to mount this monster amp. I built a rack for the right side of the trunk, but the amp is so wide, it will interfere with the sub enclosure once its installed. I suspect I'll need to mount it on the rear panel in a manner that permits it to be easily removed to reach the battery and air compressor.

Pics coming soon. Cheers,
Chris

Update. All pictures posted here for easy access.

Passenger door is fully damped. Both the exterior panel and back side of inner side have been damped.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x960.

Entire trunk damped.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x960.

Here's the Focal Polyglass 6V3254 upgrade woofer screwed right into the OEM Boston Acoustic driver. I just cut the guts out leaving the shell, sand a little bit out of the inner perimeter and she drops right in.

Here's the back of the woof.

This the Focal TN44 striped of its shell. It fits beautifully into the backside of the OEM tweeter grill. There is a raised "dish" that the tweet fits into. No cutting or sanding here. A little hot glue and she's tight.

Same tweet from the front.

HiFonics ZXi60.4 +1K 5 Channel Amp

All finished with door card back on.

Close up of the crossover.

Passenger door card with foam removed to to make room for crossover.

Here's the crossover screwed to the door.

Hifonics Zeuz ZXi 60.4 +1K 5 channel mounted on rear of sub. The metal straps actually hold the sub in place.

Last edited by USNSCPO; 01-21-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add the final pictures
USNSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
I don't understand the ground loop issue. I ran two amps with the X3 harness, no problems with noise, buzz, etc. that I noticed.

Now that I cut out the factory stuff completely, the only difference I've noted is no pop when the amps go off (is this isolator related?), using the remote wire from an aftermarket HU turns the amps on/off with the radio instead of being somehow dependent on the doors/trunk, and no more gay chimes and ticks from the metra.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
USNSCPO
Gearhead

If you remove the factory stereo, then you've also removed the source of the ground loop.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSCPO View Post
If you remove the factory stereo, then you've also removed the source of the ground loop.

I had it for a period of time with an MB and Focal amp.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
USNSCPO
Gearhead

oooooo Focal. Their drivers are absolute perfection. I hope to pick up a set of 6.5" Polyglass. If I hit the lottery, Utopias here I come. How do you like their amps? Electronics are a fairly new venture for the company.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
see you are a senior chief petty officer.impresive indeed.i have a friend that is a master chief.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
see you are a senior chief petty officer.impressive indeed.i have a friend that is a master chief.
Thank you. Retired in '06 after 25 years.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Still no pics... buying pieces. For you Focal fans, visit www.zalytron.com They just received a bunch of Focal drivers, tweets, and crossovers and they are putting them together into kits at amazing prices. I just ordered their Focal Polyglass 6.5 components for less than 1/2 price. They also have a comparable K2 (kevlar cone) 6.5 kit at a terrific price. If you go for the Polyglass kit, ask for the upgraded 3252 woof at no additional cost. Focal crossovers included. Amazing price. I also bought a 2nd pair of 3252 drivers to replace the 6x9s as rear fill.

Back in 2000, I bought Focal drivers for the first time. I really fell in love with Focal drivers. They were essentially the Access 6.5 kit for $129. Since then, I'm addicted to the Focal sound. Nothing else will do.

So I've been making sawdust, building my own box, similar to the ********. Sanding and covering are all that remain. I need some decent weather so I can take some pictures... more to follow.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Still no pics... buying pieces. For you Focal fans, visit www.zalytron.com They just received a bunch of Focal drivers, tweets, and crossovers and they are putting them together into kits at amazing prices. I just ordered their Focal Polyglass 6.5 components for less than 1/2 price. They also have a comparable K2 (kevlar cone) 6.5 kit at a terrific price. If you go for the Polyglass kit, ask for the upgraded 3252 woof at no additional cost. Focal crossovers included. Amazing price. I also bought a 2nd pair of 3252 drivers to replace the 6x9s as rear fill.

Back in 2000, I bought Focal drivers for the first time. I really fell in love with Focal drivers. They were essentially the Access 6.5 kit for $129. Since then, I'm addicted to the Focal sound. Nothing else will do.

So I've been making sawdust, building my own box, similar to the ********. Sanding and covering are all that remain. I need some decent weather so I can take some pictures... more to follow.
nice find great price
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
just beware of imitation focal speakers. never run across them myself, but have read a multitude of people that have. no idea about Zalytron, they may be 100% legit, just offering a cautionary statement (as if you needed one)

subcribed - form the looks of it, it should sound great!

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
just beware of imitation focal speakers. never run across them myself, but have read a multitude of people that have. no idea about Zalytron, they may be 100% legit, just offering a cautionary statement (as if you needed one)

subcribed - form the looks of it, it should sound great!
Understood. However, Zalytron has been in the business for selling raw drivers for hobbists since before the internet. Steller rep. Bought from them for years. Great customer service as well. So no worries there.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Understood. However, Zalytron has been in the business for selling raw drivers for hobbists since before the internet. Steller rep. Bought from them for years. Great customer service as well. So no worries there.
Thanks!
In that case... :emoticon7: I might have to buy some new Focals... now I just need to figure out how to explain THAT to my wife! LOL "Didnt you JUST buy those A/D/S components?!?!?" "uh... no?"

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
In that case... :emoticon7: I might have to buy some new Focals... now I just need to figure out how to explain THAT to my wife! LOL "Didnt you JUST buy those A/D/S components?!?!?" "uh... no?"
ADS! lol,ahh the 80s lol..had a 300 z with ads amps and componets,sweetttt
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
ADS! lol,ahh the 80s lol..had a 300 z with ads amps and componets,sweetttt
I miss my ADS amps... almost as much as I miss my tiny little Autotek44's, but for exactly the opposite reasons!