Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
wbyman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
I am 6"3" and wear a hat most of the time, my hat hit the sunroof the whole drive, bought one without the sunroof..
wbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
OK. Youze guys made me go G.I.S. for what a "Reverse Mohawk" is.

Although, the first thing that came to my mind, was this:

swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #31
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
I don't think it's that simple...

I'm 6'9", and I'm super comfortable in the sunroof-less, but the sunroof one doesn't cut it for me.

My dad however is 6'6" and said he can't comfortable fit in my sunroofless camaro.

I like to lay back so my arm is straight when I drive. I fit comfortably on other cars from acura integras to a smart car. My pant size length is only 32 though, so I have a tall torso.

My dad can't fit in ANY cars, and he's only 6'6". He now drives a Caddy DTS, but can't fit in the DTS with a sunroof. Since the new DTS only comes with sunroofs, he's actually switching to the Mercedes E550, since he doesnt fit in ANY of the caddy's except the trucks.

I however, at 3" taller, can fit fine in all of them.

Ultimately I don't think you can simply say whether or not certain heights can fit with enough headroom. Everyone sits in different ways, and have different proportions (Arm length for example matters too!)

At my height however I kind of just go with the "Maximize interior dimensions" mentality Whether I could fit with the roof or not, I prefer to maximize the interior, so I don't have to worry as much, can wear a hat, etc. I did that with my Truck (Used to have a '05 F150), even though I fit with the sunroof.

The other problem with having a sunroof with the Camaro, is if you ahve any plans to keep it long term, every sunroof leaks. 10, 20 years from now I think a sunroof will just be a PITA.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
Tom

Drives: 2010 SS Red Jewel 6 spd manual
OK here we go again... YES the 'reverse mohawk' thing is over rated.
And YES I love my sunroof!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I guess if you're really tall, you can always poke your head through the sunroof.

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #34
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
After reading the many posts on head to headliner clearance and sunroof equiped verses reverse mohawks.............its got me to thinking.

It appears several varibles are mising from the differences in the simple torso & leg length theory on who can and can't fit into the car comfortably with-out scrubing their heads. For simplicities sake.........Lets say we take two different realitively tall drivers that are 6' 2" in height.

They are invited by their local dealer to take part in a side by side consumer comparison.......................both have just purchased indentically optioned models of the new Gen5.

After careful measurement, it is found that both have pant leg inseams of 32". While standing upright they measure identically from their waist center lines to the tops of their heads, and from their waist center lines to the bottom of their feet. Its discovered their arms are the same length, their shoulder widths are the same also.

One driver is of a slimmer build, weighing in @ 165 lbs. The other 65 lbs heavier, weighing in @ 230 lbs, the heavier complains that his head scrubs the headliner slightly once positioned in the drivers seat. The slighter of the two has no problems or complaints with head to headliner height fitment.

Both have their cars drivers seat and steering wheels adjusted to the most comfortable position, and after inspection it is found they're indentically set. The drivers seat is found to be lowered to its maximum position in both cars, with identical seating area tilting angles. The seat backs are adjusted slightly rearwards in the same manner of both cars.

Measurements are then taken while both drivers are positioned as noted. It is found that the slimmer driver has 3-1/2" clearance from the top of his head upwards towards the headliner material. The other driver has a mere 1/4".

Why are there such notable differences?
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
OK here we go again... YES the 'reverse mohawk' thing is over rated.
And YES I love my sunroof!
IT IS. My family member has a Camaro SS and i'm sure if I asked him if he knows he has a reverse mowhawk on his roof he will say huh??? I would think the same with ALL camaro drivers who don't browse this forum.

If you don't like the Sunroof that's cool but don't say it's because you LOVE the reverse mohawk that doesn't make sense no one knows you have them lol
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #36
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
It almost broke my heart the car I drooled over for years was too small for me (I'm 6'3). I left the lot. The dealer showed me the hardtop on another visit and its been love ever since! I was going to get the sunroof although I'd never seen it open at the time (but meh). The lack of head room in the Sunroof almost ruined a sale! Reverse 'Hawk FTW!
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
IT IS. My family member has a Camaro SS and i'm sure if I asked him if he knows he has a reverse mowhawk on his roof he will say huh??? I would think the same with ALL camaro drivers who don't browse this forum.

If you don't like the Sunroof that's cool but don't say it's because you LOVE the reverse mohawk that doesn't make sense no one knows you have them lol

I'll agree that nobody would call it, refer to it, or know what you meant if you refered to it, as 'reverse mohawk' but I GAURANTEE you they noticed the roof. I suppose you may have a few owners out there who never wash their cars, aren't tall enough to see the roof, or crawl up to their car and stay low before they get in.

I know differing opinion can hurt peoples feelings a bit, but let's be real here. An owner of a 5th Gen Camaro knows every inch of their car. What are the chances a typical 5th Gen coupe owner says, "OMG, I never noticed that indent there"?

And all those coupes ordered were just, what? People who didn't know what a sunroof is? So why all the coupe owners? I'm thinking that more people like the roof and notice it than you think.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I'll agree that nobody would call it, refer to it, or know what you meant if you refered to it, as 'reverse mohawk' but I GAURANTEE you they noticed the roof. I suppose you may have a few owners out there who never wash their cars, aren't tall enough to see the roof, or crawl up to their car and stay low before they get in.

I know differing opinion can hurt peoples feelings a bit, but let's be real here. An owner of a 5th Gen Camaro knows every inch of their car. What are the chances a typical 5th Gen coupe owner says, "OMG, I never noticed that indent there"?

And all those coupes ordered were just, what? People who didn't know what a sunroof is? So why all the coupe owners? I'm thinking that more people like the roof and notice it than you think.
uhhh there all coupes.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
uhhh there all coupes.
Ok. Fine.

Point made though.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Well all you guys complaining should know that fat people will never ever really be comfortable in a sports car period. LMAO. I'm sorry but I had to.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #41
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I agree! I am one of the first R6P guys and when they revealed pics of the sunroof open, alot of people jumped to the solid roof. I oredered my car before the pics of the sunroof were out and I ordered my car without it because I loved the reverse mohawk. People that look at these cars notice all the lines of the car and that includes the roof. It adds character unlike a flat roof.

And to the OP, if the purple car on 30" wheels is yours, I would be willing to bet that your driver seat is laid almost flat so you more then likely arent going to have head room issues in anything.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
I’m 6’4 and have the sun roof. Ordering with or without the sun roof had me in a quandary for a while. Then I sat in one with the sun roof and said the hell with it. I wear a cap most of the time and have no problems. The one thing that I did not consider and wished I had was a helmet! I have not taken the car to a track yet but know I will have to wear a helmet when I do. The helmet is going to cause a problem. :( But I do love the sun roof!

Just an FYI