Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Power View Post
Yes they are suppose to be black however not with two layers of red paint. if you look at the pix you can see that there is a layer of red then black then red again..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
ZL1Power

Drives: ZL1 AGM 2013 #3266
You're right, I tought you guys were talking about the base color
ZL1Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I feel this is an interesting point re: your car, but is not a thing that indicates your car was put together from sub-standard or "refurbished" parts

Refurb indicates it was sold new and then refinished to new, or re-manufactured. Your bumper had re-work before sale.

Objectively you are basing your indigantion on the 'fact' that "new bumpers are not supposed to look like this".

Is that a fact or is that your experience? It is possible that new bumpers can very often look like this, although I doubt many ZL-1 owners will volunteer their cars for a test. I suggest looking into just whether or not a new ZL-1 may or may not have had to have a body part re-painted at the factory or at the dealer, and what that legally presents to you.

Respectfully, you are doing a lot of assuming
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #32
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I feel this is an interesting point re: your car, but is not a thing that indicates your car was put together from sub-standard or "refurbished" parts

Refurb indicates it was sold new and then refinished to new, or re-manufactured. Your bumper had re-work before sale.

Objectively you are basing your indigantion on the 'fact' that "new bumpers are not supposed to look like this".

Is that a fact or is that your experience? It is possible that new bumpers can very often look like this, although I doubt many ZL-1 owners will volunteer their cars for a test. I suggest looking into just whether or not a new ZL-1 may or may not have had to have a body part re-painted at the factory or at the dealer, and what that legally presents to you.

Respectfully, you are doing a lot of assuming
Well it's my experience in the body shop world that this isn't common that being said its my car and my assumption .. And this isn't right !!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
DCC1464
COTW 5/27/13

Drives: '11 S/C SS/RS CGM
so let me ask this. What is the impact on your car if that part was re-painted cause of some scratches or to correct the color match? does it mean your car is not special anymore ? Did it lose value from a manufacture defect that was correct prior to sell?
Just wondering what the big deal is here? And I really hope you don't believe that you got a "refurbished" bumper, cause well that would be very ummm..... "tinfoil hat " of you if you really believe that.

622RWHP/512FTLBS on 91 octane
2.9l Whipple 4" pulley. Vengance VRSP3 cam. Lots of BMR & AAC. Body work by Gary's Customz. Nic D tuned
My build thread
DCC1464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
it was probablt just a paint match issure which was common on the front bumpers. At least is wasn't yellow or blue underneath then that would be cause for speculation.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
If it was damaged and repainted the dealership, by law, must tell you that, you may have a lawsuit on your hands.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyb24 View Post
Well it's my experience in the body shop world that this isn't common that being said its my car and my assumption .. And this isn't right !!

Well in your experience you have never seen this is a body shop. Well, my best friend owns a body shop and I there all the time and I can tell you it happens all the time. A bumper gets a run in the paint or the base coat just blows up and the job looks like crap. They then resand, reprep, reprime, repaint and clear coat. So a new part my have another layer of paint. It does happen it is no big deal. Now if you found bondo or some other repair then I could see you getting upset, it looked good when you got it but you went into the finsh......now it is a problem. I do not see it the issue.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
If you dipped it to strip it, could you get it down to original black level or was the red color integrated into original?
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
so let me ask this. What is the impact on your car if that part was re-painted cause of some scratches or to correct the color match? does it mean your car is not special anymore ? Did it lose value from a manufacture defect that was correct prior to sell?
Just wondering what the big deal is here? And I really hope you don't believe that you got a "refurbished" bumper, cause well that would be very ummm..... "tinfoil hat " of you if you really believe that.
Yeah it's not special anymore.. Lmao dude it's not your car if it were I doubt you wouldn't be pissed .trust me there's more to this then a simple repair .. If you'd read the whole thread you'd see that there is also issues with the back truck lid. So I'm done talking with you I can see your input is condescending..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #39
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
Well in your experience you have never seen this is a body shop. Well, my best friend owns a body shop and I there all the time and I can tell you it happens all the time. A bumper gets a run in the paint or the base coat just blows up and the job looks like crap. They then resand, reprep, reprime, repaint and clear coat. So a new part my have another layer of paint. It does happen it is no big deal. Now if you found bondo or some other repair then I could see you getting upset, it looked good when you got it but you went into the finsh......now it is a problem. I do not see it the issue.
Once again if you guys would read the whole thread I wouldn't have to answer you guys individually .. You show me a new bumper with multi coats of paint and primer ..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #40
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
If you dipped it to strip it, could you get it down to original black level or was the red color integrated into original?
There was multi layer.. Of both.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyb24 View Post
Once again if you guys would read the whole thread I wouldn't have to answer you guys individually .. You show me a new bumper with multi coats of paint and primer ..
I have read the thread over and over again and I still do not get it. You are saying that GM cannot repaint the front bumper if there was a flaw in the paint? That is wrong; they do it all the time. It is not a used bumper, you need to get over it. It was repainted.....
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I bought a used cover from a SS that was Rally Red and it had severe rock chips on it as well as clear coat peal. My dealership had to take it all the ways down. In fact I thought they said they put some sort of liquid or chemical on it to help remove the layers. Need less to say once they got it where they needed it to be they did some sanding, gel coat, prime, paint and clear coat.