Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Speedfreak391
One man Army

Drives: 1987 Iroc Players car
Amp install question.

It seems that with the stock head unit in my 2010 ss w/BA system (Ihave added a set of jl 12's). That when I turn it up to about 23 this is the max, if I turn it up any louder the bass fades out and the entire system doesn't get any louder.
Now here is my question. If I were to remove the stock amp and replace it with my alpine MRP-F240 which is 40x4 @ 4ohms. Will this eliminate the issue or do I need to start looking at a different head unit?
I guess my question is, is it the head unit signing off or is it the amp that is maxed out at 23-26 on the stock radio?

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with a K&N cold air Stainless Power headers, Magnaflow cat-back, staggered TSW Nurburgring's just a great daily driver.
Speedfreak391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
are you using your stock amp to power 2 12" subs, if so, You are very under powered, and It is not set up for lows
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Speedfreak391
One man Army

No, at the moment I am running a cheap audio pipe 1000 amp for the sub's. But when I turn up the volume it seems like the bass fades away. Is this in the head unit or what?

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with a K&N cold air Stainless Power headers, Magnaflow cat-back, staggered TSW Nurburgring's just a great daily driver.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak391 View Post
No, at the moment I am running a cheap audio pipe 1000 amp for the sub's. But when I turn up the volume it seems like the bass fades away. Is this in the head unit or what?
Welcome to the rubber (unregulated advertising) meeting the road (reality). It is most likely your amp and I would replace with a quality JL/Alpine/RF-Punch.

Last edited by Snoman; 05-20-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Welcome to the rubber (unregulated advertising) meeting the road (reality). It is most likely your amp and I would replace with a quality JL/Alpine/RF-Punch.

Agreed!!! Sounds like not enough power for your subs. It could also be that your resistance is not enough for your amp to handle. Are U bridged on the subs. How are they wired and what is the ohm rating on the subs.If your amp is not stable down to 2 ohms and u have 2 ohm subs wired in parallel. That Is a bad day for the amp

I would separate your sub speakers with their own amp
Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak391 View Post
I'm assuming your car came with the Boston system. If that is true, where are you pulling your input signal from for your Audiopipe amp? If you are pulling it from the output side of the factory Boston amp, then you are experiencing bass roll-off that is part of the factory amplifier's built-in EQ.

The good news is that the stock head unit has a clean output signal, so you should be able to grab your signal from the input side of the stock amp and remedy your problem.

That make sense?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Speedfreak391
One man Army

I am pulling my inputs from the sub----thump plag and play 4 channel t-harness. The rest of the system is still stock running off of the stock BA trunk mounted amp. The subs are fine and they hit hard until you turn it up to 25 or better on the radio. What I am talking about is not just the subs. The whole system drops the bass when turned up to this point and above.
So, I guess my question is if I were to replace the stock amp with a quality amp of choice. Would there still be this bass roll-off? I know the alpines that I have run systems with in the past haven't done this, nor does the kenwood in my truck. I am not a newbie to the car audio scene by a long shot. But I have never encountered this issue before.
I could always just wire in the amp for the high's and adjust the gains to where 28 on the head unit is max out put.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It sounds like it might be your amp then. I am running a similar wiring set up but with a RF amp and 2 RF 10's. Volume at 28 practically pushes me out of the car.

Have you tried another audio signal? Generally the radio sound quality is crappy. Maybe try the USB port using digital music from a thumb drive or your phone?
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Imdyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Speedfreak391
One man Army

My car will not recognize my phone. I have a note 4. But it works with bluetooth. I will try a thumb drive.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
The bass roll-off is a function of the stock amp, though it should NOT be affecting your aftermarket subs. If your subs are doing the same thing, then you may be reaching the physical limits of your subs/ amp. I would personally replace the factory Boston P.O.S. amp as soon as possible - because it is a P.O.S. - to the Alpine.

I am warning you right now though - you may be heading down a weary path, unless you can live with a turn-off pop. I couldn't live with it, and my sig is the ultimate result. I'm just saying.......

The good thing is that the factory Boston components are actually decent quality drivers. With a better amp (any amp is better than the stock amp), the factory Boston components sound pretty good. I use the factory components as garage speakers
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote