Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #183
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Detailed the car last night and found many more chips. I drive about 52 miles round trip to work on mostly interstate. My plan is to get a bra and have my local paint shop fix all the chips. A few of the chips are bad and are in serious need of getting fixed. I hope GM acknowledges this issue and helps us Camaro owners out.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #184
ltd582010

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone-south View Post
seems alot of us are having problems with the paint chipping. i went to a local chevy dealer and they told me the same thing they told some of you.(that i'm the only one that they know of that has this problem and it's not a warranty issue) so i'm starting this thread to see if the problem is as big as i think it is. so i ask that you look at your camaro's (front facia, rocker panels and in front of the rear wheels) and if you have excessive chipping to please make a note of it here. also if you went to the dealer about it please let us know of your experience and what the dealer said about it. we are spending alot of money on our cars and i dont feel this is right. we need to make this right and there is strength in numbers.......

I have had my car finally painted at the expense of GM. I will be posting all my data as well as the Receipts with my Case # assigned by GM. They have been kissing my ass during this process with phone calls every week until my car was complete. After the shop repainted and repaired, I did have clear bra applied.. Everyone here needs to press the issue. OPen a case and state that you know of a person who had his car painted. GM has told me its a one time customer courtesy, but I think different. If it was no issue why would I get so many phone calls. they even called the paint shop once a week, and the owner has never heard of that either.. Well it took (3 1/2) weeks in the shop but it looks absolutelyl perfect..

More to come later next week when I pick up all my paperwork from the Paintshop and dealership on my case so you all have a record of it as well..
ltd582010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #185
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd582010 View Post

I have had my car finally painted at the expense of GM. I will be posting all my data as well as the Receipts with my Case # assigned by GM. They have been kissing my ass during this process with phone calls every week until my car was complete. After the shop repainted and repaired, I did have clear bra applied.. Everyone here needs to press the issue. OPen a case and state that you know of a person who had his car painted. GM has told me its a one time customer courtesy, but I think different. If it was no issue why would I get so many phone calls. they even called the paint shop once a week, and the owner has never heard of that either.. Well it took (3 1/2) weeks in the shop but it looks absolutelyl perfect..

More to come later next week when I pick up all my paperwork from the Paintshop and dealership on my case so you all have a record of it as well..
So what was your story. I either missed it or it just blended in with all the rest of us.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #186
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
From what I understand after raising this question to my salesman the first portion of the 2010's were sprayed to 2mil thickness, the same as the vetts. GM switched to a 5mil thickness after they figured they had a problem with the Camaro and most of the 2010's and 2011-on have thicker paint to avoid the chipping.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #187
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
From what I understand after raising this question to my salesman the first portion of the 2010's were sprayed to 2mil thickness, the same as the vetts. GM switched to a 5mil thickness after they figured they had a problem with the Camaro and most of the 2010's and 2011-on have thicker paint to avoid the chipping.
So they knows there's a problem and were left S.O.L. then.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #188
IKANDI

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
My Precious...why!?

My baby has about 2000 miles and I have a few lil paint chips here and there (in my mind they are HUGE)... I picked Synergy Green for a reason and now all the chips???? WHYYY? I know stone chips will eventually happen... but it seems as tho the paint just comes right off without any real pressure or force. The masking tape thing makes me extremely nervous... I won't be trying that.
Then some idiot door dinged me... BAD! Guess I was the idiot, should have parked way the hell away from any other cars... trust me I learned my lesson.
I remember reading on another thread that "Itd582010" said they were approved by GM for a repair of all the paint... but I cant find if an ending result has been posted.
I spoke with the manager at the dealer he said they couldn't do anything about the paint chips... He suggested I call 1-800-CHEV-USA and make a complaint he told me to keep record of the complaint number... he told me to keep complaining and GM would keep record of all the complaints... I said will how long and how many complaints will it take to see some action??? He didnt know of course I told him I had heard of some being approved for a new paint job, he said well if that's true they may approve the repair on your fist complaint... I plan on calling ASAP
IKANDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #189
IKANDI

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
Ok, I see your response now! "Itd582010"
IKANDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #190
3CamarosOnHand

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetReporter View Post
I'm wondering if manufacture date has anything to do with the paint issues -- mine has over 2,000 miles and so far no chips or flakes whatsoever.

It was built in May of this year, so is it possible they addressed the paint issues after complaints?
To answer your question- yes- I think it does have to do with the manufacture date- as cited in previous posts GM changed the paint mil # (I believe) from the earlier 2010 models..... it is interesting that many "newer" produced cars have very little paint chips. Although, watch closely because our car was very minimal at first too- now it is getting worse by the day- and I am seeing bubbling up of paint too....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #191
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
What is your source for this info? Been working on MIL thickness data with another member and we could use this source in our analysis.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #192
bwmsn11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black
I posted these pics a few weeks back but after a recent trip to my dealership I am starting to think that I am not the only one with this problem. I went and looked at multiple 2011's and all of the ones I saw with a spoiler had this problem. I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back and schedule an appt to have it fixed (they don't know whats causing this problem). Does anyone have these chips around their spoiler? Mine are located at each end of the spoiler on the deck lid, clearly not in a place that could have been hit by a rock or something else.
Attached Images

bwmsn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #193
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmsn11 View Post
I posted these pics a few weeks back but after a recent trip to my dealership I am starting to think that I am not the only one with this problem. I went and looked at multiple 2011's and all of the ones I saw with a spoiler had this problem. I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back and schedule an appt to have it fixed (they don't know whats causing this problem). Does anyone have these chips around their spoiler? Mine are located at each end of the spoiler on the deck lid, clearly not in a place that could have been hit by a rock or something else.
Looks like the spoiler is in contact with the body and it is causing the paint to chip or peel. I believe you also have an adhesion issue with the paint. It needs to be seen by a GM rep but if you really want to know if the paint has a problem take a pressure washer from the car wash and blast it at those points. If more blows off.... well you have a problem GM should know about.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #194
Candy2550

Drives: 2LT RS IBM
I had a problem with the paint chipping and peeling not only on my hood but on top of the trunk too. I posted some pics on another board on this forum and was told I should take it to a dealership, so I did. At first the body shop manager told me they were stone chips on the hood and that something probably landed on my trunk and caused the paint to peel back there. My dad and I told her I'm super careful with the car, it has less than 9,000 miles and it's ridiculous that a $30,000 car already has this many paint problems. She went and got the man over her and he said she was probably right, it probably is stone chips but he would have the entire hood repainted and would try to buff out the spots on the trunk and fix them. I know when they buff the spots on the back that the paint is just going to come off though. So I assume they will have to repaint the trunk as well. He also added "this won't be a factory paint job but we will do the best we can." That scares me a little.. I'm worried the paint won't match or something.

Has anyone had any problems with the paint not matching or anything else after it has been repainted due to this problem?
Candy2550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #195
Yellowcamaro

Drives: 2010 RS Transformer Editon
If the paint does not match when you get it back just keep taking it in until the get it right
Yellowcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #196
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmsn11 View Post
I just noticed that I have the same exact issue as you with the paint chipping with the spoiler. I just gave my car her first wash today and noticed it a few hours later. Ive only had her for 1 week. Really annoyed right now.