Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #57
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Well....got my car re-aligned yesterday. Had him tune the bushings. The guy spent a good 2hrs doing everything and I watched as he loosened up everything.

My dad rode along with me because he didn't have anything going on. Funny thing was that he was commenting how springy it felt on the way to the shop.

Afterwards we both agreed that some to the springy feeling was gone. You still feel dips in the road but you are going to get that even from the factory with these cars.

All in All I'm very glad I had it done. What was even better is that he only charged me $100. I think that's because we started doing some bench racing while he was working. He has a C5 Z06 that he had just put a supercharger on. So, over the course of those 2 hrs or so we had some good talks about our cars and racing them at the track.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #58
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Well....got my car re-aligned yesterday. Had him tune the bushings. The guy spent a good 2hrs doing everything and I watched as he loosened up everything.

My dad rode along with me because he didn't have anything going on. Funny thing was that he was commenting how springy it felt on the way to the shop.

Afterwards we both agreed that some to the springy feeling was gone. You still feel dips in the road but you are going to get that even from the factory with these cars.

All in All I'm very glad I had it done. What was even better is that he only charged me $100. I think that's because we started doing some bench racing while he was working. He has a C5 Z06 that he had just put a supercharger on. So, over the course of those 2 hrs or so we had some good talks about our cars and racing them at the track.
Very cool in several ways.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #59
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
I dont understand the statement in red. Are you saying set the thrust at zero or .12 I didnt know if that was a typo or over my head talk lol
poor wording on my part. Set the toe to something moderate like .12. With both sides matched, both sides with the same tow reading, the thrusta angle will be zero.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #60
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Gotcha. thanks!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #61
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Oh.....I forgot to give Justice Pete a big .

Thanks for all your help! It's people like you that make this forum great......and very addictive.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #62
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
so the caster and steer ahead doesnt matter or will those be ok in stock specs?
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #63
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
so the caster and steer ahead doesnt matter or will those be ok in stock specs?
There is no factory castor adjustment so it is a fixed measurement, unless you have installed Pedders castor eccentric bolts
Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #64
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
or hit something really hard, evenly on both sides, once.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #65
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
OK here it goes, When my car had the stock Rims and tires and springs I could run it up to 125+mph or so and the car felt tight to the road, I changed the wheels/tires lowered 1in with springs, Now at 125 it feels loose in the front like it's walking side to side. Kind of scary. I took the settings pdfat gave for Performance street and the guy told me it would eat my tires off. Instead of arguing with him I just had set it to stock. Still feels lose at high speeds.

MY question is if I have them set to pdfats setting will it fix the high speed problem? and will it make it eat the inside of the tires off faster?
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #66
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
OK here it goes, When my car had the stock Rims and tires and springs I could run it up to 125+mph or so and the car felt tight to the road, I changed the wheels/tires lowered 1in with springs, Now at 125 it feels loose in the front like it's walking side to side. Kind of scary. I took the settings pdfat gave for Performance street and the guy told me it would eat my tires off. Instead of arguing with him I just had set it to stock. Still feels lose at high speeds.

MY question is if I have them set to pdfats setting will it fix the high speed problem? and will it make it eat the inside of the tires off faster?
A Camaro set to OE specs should not wander. Can you post your actual alignment numbers?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #67
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A Camaro set to OE specs should not wander. Can you post your actual alignment numbers?
I have no idea, he gave me nothing. I changed to Toyo Proxes 4's All season would that matter?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #68
JusticePete

Quote:
I have no idea, he gave me nothing. I changed to Toyo Proxes 4's All season would that matter?
Everything matters, but we are really shooting in the dark without actual alignment specs. Castor can cause a wander. Toe out can cause a high speed wander. The main issue we would have with an OE alignment is the 'green' range. The tolerance covers a wide range in an OE alignment. Tires can too. You can use Pedders, Hotchkis, Pfadt or even OE and they will all work IF the alignment is tight to the specifications. i.e. -.75 degrees negative front camber would mean exactly -.75 on both wheels and not -.25 on one and -1.1 on the other.

What I suggest you do is print off your alignment spec of choice for your 5th Gen and take it with you to the alignment shop. Tell them you want a Pedders spec alignment, a tight tolerance alignment, and want a before and after print out. Make it clear that you'll settle for nothing less and ask them what they will charge to do it this way. Getting a green range alignment takes the tech half or a third of the time. Doing it spot on dead nuts accurate will take longer. If it doesn't solve your problem then that would lead us to your tires. Sorting the too out starts with a really good alignment.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #69
Nitroman28

Thanks for the Help, That's what I will do and see what happens, I'm going to try a different shop this time.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #70
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks for the Help, That's what I will do and see what happens, I'm going to try a different shop this time.
You are welcome. Forum members helping forum members is what we are supposed to do on Camaro5! Please post up your before and after alignment specs when you get them.