Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #155
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCamaro View Post
I already did.
http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

This was a car that you could drive on the road.
Refer to the options and the PRICE.
To go from stock to Z/28, the price of the car did not increase 50+ percent.

It is what it is. GM apparently has a niche audience that they want to cater to.
Posting a link to a website isn't an elaboration... do your homework.

..... You've never driven one, have you.

Have you ever driven anything that had fat tires and manual steering? How about a manual clutch that was so stout it made you walk in circles? Or a transmission that would sing as you revved? Yes. Yes I have. The Z/28 wasn't a cushy street car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
The Z-28 was a $450 option on the Camaro in 1969. It's now (roughly) a $30,000 upgraded trim level. I'm not bitching, it's just not for everybody.
In the 60's options were like a Burger King menu... You could have it your way. It's not like that anymore.

Go back and price the 1st gen with 4 wheel disk brakes, twin carbs, posi, etc..... THAT'S what they did with the 2014...
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #156
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
The regulations now a days don't want avg guy to race.
Not sure what you mean by that. It's never been easier to get on a track than it is now.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #157
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
No.

the original z28 was a track oriented car, so why not reproduce it as such?

My only thought on this is that if this car is that banana's can we imagine what the next gen z06 will look like??? If this car got this type of reaction their gonna have to hand out anti-anxiety pills before the reveal.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #158
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. It's never been easier to get on a track than it is now.
That's true. But it doesn't mean GM should jack up the price to insure it doesn't make it to the track or be suitable for garage queens. Right? I mean stripped down it shouldn't cost what they're going to charge for it. Plain and simple.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #159
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
How about a show of hands from the old timers..... who remembers the 1st gen Z/28 as an economical alternative?
(not a real old timer, but old enough) It (the Z28) was the MOST expensive Camaro with available options. (Special back door order ZL1 not included)
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #160
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I already did.
http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

This was a car that you could drive on the road.
Refer to the options and the PRICE.
To go from stock to Z/28, the price of the car did not increase 50+ percent.

It is what it is. GM apparently has a niche audience that they want to cater to.
Oh it did more than that. With all options it was on its way to $6K. more than double a base Camaro.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #161
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Hand in air. Owned two first gens and tried to make the first one a daily driver at the ripe age of 23.

And Twisty is right...what I posted above does not include the exotic option still available. JL8 and cross ram and such. Those options mesh comparatively well with what we are seeing on the new Z...such as the high $ brakes Recaros and such
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #162
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Posting a link to a website isn't an elaboration... do your homework.

..... You've never driven one, have you.

Have you ever driven anything that had fat tires and manual steering? How about a manual clutch that was so stout it made you walk in circles? Or a transmission that would sing as you revved? Yes. Yes I have. The Z/28 wasn't a cushy street car...

In the 60's options were like a Burger King menu... You could have it your way. It's not like that anymore.

Go back and price the 1st gen with 4 wheel disk brakes, twin carbs, posi, etc..... THAT'S what they did with the 2014...
Yes, I drove a Gen 2 Z/28.
I'm not going to copy and paste the entire list of options from that website. I may be going out on a limb, but I assume you can read.
The 2014, fewer options, ridiculous pricing. It is what it is.
I was hoping for something impressive from Chevrolet, a performance vehicle without an insane price tag. This isn't it.
I'll either get a 2012, or buy a car from another manufacturer.
It was a long wait for absolutely nothing from my perspective.
If you're happy with it and have 70K to burn, more power to you.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #163
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Ok but that's not my point. My point is that you and Twisty and others are basically saying: "you asked for a Z/28. We gave it to you. It's really fast and it costs a lot of money. Can't afford it? Too bad, get lost."

My position: Chevy guys, they're salt of the earth normal people. And I get it when you say the Z/28 is pure and true to the heritage and all that. I think most people here understand that. But it seems like you can't grasp why GM putting out a car that you basically need to make $500,000 a year to afford would feel like a let down to a lot of people.
No they're saying buy another Camaro you can afford! It's an "ORIGINAL" designed Z28, NOT the pretender model. The REAL thing (anything) always cost more.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #164
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I'll be at CF5 so by all means, go right ahead and tell me to shut up then. Trolls hide behind masks, my mask stays off. No gimmicks here. What you do need to do is watch your mouth, and no that's not a threat that's me telling you what you will do.
Is that a physical threat?????

Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #165
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Yes, I drove a Gen 2 Z/28.
I'm not going to copy and paste the entire list of options from that website. I may be going out on a limb, but I assume you can read.
The 2014, fewer options, ridiculous pricing. It is what it is.
I was hoping for something impressive from Chevrolet, a performance vehicle without an insane price tag. This isn't it.
I'll either get a 2012, or buy a car from another manufacturer.
It was a long wait for absolutely nothing from my perspective.
If you're happy with it and have 70K to burn, more power to you.
You obviously didn't really want a Z/28. Why?, because this is what a REAL Z/28 is.

Buy a ZL1. It's AWESOME!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #166
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Nope it's not for everyone. It's for collectors to say they have one in their garage. The regulations now a days don't want avg guy to race. So they bump up the price on their race ready cars to keep it at bay. My estimate? 1-5% of those Z-28s produced touch a track. The rest will touch dust in a garage. With a few occasionally joy riding it a little.
Racing is a lot more expensive now than it was in the late 60's. How about you take a car with 1960s tech and go try and road race with todays modern cars? Let us all know how that works out for you.

If you want a bargain priced racer that can be driven daily, buy a 1LE and stop complaining.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #167
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
New COPO rolling chassis $55,000
New Z-28 WITH MOTOR AND VIN and warrantee... $68-70k sounds good to me
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #168
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
That's true. But it doesn't mean GM should jack up the price to insure it doesn't make it to the track...
Unless they artificially limit supply they will make it to the track. Look at all the Z06s and other far more expensive cars you see at the track. Can't afford the Z28? Get a 1LE SS. The average driver can't even get close to a 1LE's limits on the track, let alone a Z28.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote