Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #113
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This makes sense to me put this way. I'm sorry that no one really gets what I'm trying to say. I also don't understand what my post count has to do with anything. I love these cars too and have been following them since 2006. I just don't always have the most popular view on things. Like I said before, I hope you guys get your dream to come true. I'm glad that mine finally did. For a true modern 69 Z/28 to surface it would have to have a highly underrated small displacement motor. To me this is what made the car get the rep it had on the street. Back in the day we couldn't understand why these cars were so fast because they were only rated at 290 hp. It wasn't until years later that people found out the they were closer to 400hp.
OK, for the sake of listening, what is it you are trying to say? They underated motors back in the day at times for insurance purposes or other internal policy reasons. 290 stock wasn't correct as you mentioned, that's a documentated fact. Detroit played games with facts and figures for purposes that served them and their agenda to sell these street machines. Ancient news. They were closer to 350-375 from the factory. With camshaft, intake manifold, headers, carb and ignition upgrades, they were over 400 HP easy. They had nothing on the bottom end, you had to wind the piss out of them to get power....perfect for road courses. The HP meant little, the torque curve was short and severe up top. It pulled like crazy. We like that. Torque, seat of the pants feel, RPM's....the scream and seat sink associated with it. The 1LE is a big step in that direction as far as a road course is concerned. It has the features to keep it glued to the ground and keep it there through it's paces. The only thing....repeat only thing its missing, is a high RPM torquey motor that will push the weight above and beyond what a stock LS3 will do. The LS3 will not be upgraded from the factory, although it could...but the shelf ready LS7 is there right now...and will do for the 1LE what the 302 did for the 67-69 Z-28. And the 505 HP LS7 is a watered down engine to begin with, as most GM engines are and have been. Does not take much to wake up that giant of a motor, just like the 302 cousin from days gone by.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #114
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
This makes sense to me put this way. I'm sorry that no one really gets what I'm trying to say. I also don't understand what my post count has to do with anything. I love these cars too and have been following them since 2006. I just don't always have the most popular view on things. Like I said before, I hope you guys get your dream to come true. I'm glad that mine finally did. For a true modern 69 Z/28 to surface it would have to have a highly underrated small displacement motor. To me this is what made the car get the rep it had on the street. Back in the day we couldn't understand why these cars were so fast because they were only rated at 290 hp. It wasn't until years later that people found out the they were closer to 400hp.
The only reason I mention your post count is that you have a pretty high count, but obviously very little of your time was ever spent in the Z/28 threads or you would already understand where we're coming from. How much do the regular Z/28 thread inhabitants know/understand the first gen. Z/28? Well, some of us know that the first gen could be bought with RPO JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, the Camaro was the only GM car besides the Vette that had that option. The RPO ZL2 Super Scoop hood was developed for the Z/28 and later allowed on other Camaros, the RPO D80 front and rear spoilers were developed for the Z/28 and were a Z/28 only item until they were later allowed on other Camaros, and probably one of the rarest options was the RPO MA6 Heavy-Duty Dual Disc Clutch. We're not a bunch of noobs in here that only think we know what the original Z/28s were all about.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #115
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
OK, for the sake of listening, what is it you are trying to say? They underated motors back in the day at times for insurance purposes or other internal policy reasons. 290 stock wasn't correct as you mentioned, that's a documentated fact. Detroit played games with facts and figures for purposes that served them and their agenda to sell these street machines. Ancient news. They were closer to 350-375 from the factory. With camshaft, intake manifold, headers, carb and ignition upgrades, they were over 400 HP easy. They had nothing on the bottom end, you had to wind the piss out of them to get power....perfect for road courses. The HP meant little, the torque curve was short and severe up top. It pulled like crazy. We like that. Torque, seat of the pants feel, RPM's....the scream and seat sink associated with it. The 1LE is a big step in that direction as far as a road course is concerned. It has the features to keep it glued to the ground and keep it there through it's paces. The only thing....repeat only thing its missing, is a high RPM torquey motor that will push the weight above and beyond what a stock LS3 will do. The LS3 will not be upgraded from the factory, although it could...but the shelf ready LS7 is there right now...and will do for the 1LE what the 302 did for the 67-69 Z-28. And the 505 HP LS7 is a watered down engine to begin with, as most GM engines are and have been. Does not take much to wake up that giant of a motor, just like the 302 cousin from days gone by.
Excellent post!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #116
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Yes a high-revving small block engine made for tracking. That being said any current engine come to mind? The displacement was only held back due to racing rules that now don't apply. As a matter of fact they increased the displacement in 1970 due to a rules change. BTW, size DOES matter, add to that a little history...427

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 12-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #117
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Thanks for asking and your kind thoughts! I'm doing as well as I expected to be at this point in time, I'm meeting one on one with a grief counselor on Thursday as a pre-requisite to taking part in a grief counseling group. I've had a lot of support from a few good friends and my church, the good days outnumber the bad days right now. It's strange how it works, I can be driving down the road and everything seems fine and the next minute I'm mentallly torn up sometimes to the point of not being aware of where I'm driving. Sometimes it's little things, coming home after work and expecting my wife to be practicing the piano when I come through the door and then realizing that it will never be happening again. Anyway, I've gone on enough in an off topic vein, I'm OK and I'm surviving, and thank you again for asking.
Clyde
That's understandable. I'm glad your getting through things.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #118
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes a high-revving small block engine made for tracking. That being said any current engine come to mind? The displacement was only held back due to racing rules that now don't apply. As a matter of fact they increased the displacement in 1970 due to a rules change. BTW, size DOES matter, add to that a little history...427
This.

No reason to stick to displacement caps that don't apply anymore. Besides, it's not like GM would ever build a 302 to match the Road Runner in the BOSS. That would be too expensive. We would end up with a mediocre engine at best and be severely underpowered.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #119
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....Hobbs , that was a strawman response....sorry to inform you that...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #120
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
The only reason I mention your post count is that you have a pretty high count, but obviously very little of your time was ever spent in the Z/28 threads or you would already understand where we're coming from. How much do the regular Z/28 thread inhabitants know/understand the first gen. Z/28? Well, some of us know that the first gen could be bought with RPO JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, the Camaro was the only GM car besides the Vette that had that option. The RPO ZL2 Super Scoop hood was developed for the Z/28 and later allowed on other Camaros, the RPO D80 front and rear spoilers were developed for the Z/28 and were a Z/28 only item until they were later allowed on other Camaros, and probably one of the rarest options was the RPO MA6 Heavy-Duty Dual Disc Clutch. We're not a bunch of noobs in here that only think we know what the original Z/28s were all about.
Clyde
I know your not and I appreciate the knowledge found on here. While I'm not as versed as some of you folks. I have been around a few 69 z/28 back in the day. They were great cars that I feel are hard to make comparisons with in today's world. I guess that's why the name thing doesn't mean as much to me because that car is long gone. I would love to see GM use a new name that becomes legend like the 69 z/28 instead of a car that rides on the coat tails of a 43 year old car. Like I said before. I hope you guys get what you're looking for. We will all benefit if you do.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #121
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I know your not and I appreciate the knowledge found on here. While I'm not as versed as some of you folks. I have been around a few 69 z/28 back in the day. They were great cars that I feel are hard to make comparisons with in today's world. I guess that's why the name thing doesn't mean as much to me because that car is long gone. I would love to see GM use a new name that becomes legend like the 69 z/28 instead of a car that rides on the coat tails of a 43 year old car. Like I said before. I hope you guys get what you're looking for. We will all benefit if you do.
And I appreciate the way you feel, we all have our own ideas about how things should be. And that should not stop us from being friends, we just get a little touchy as we've had so many people over the years pop into these threads with all the answers in one or two posts, yet thay have no idea what has already been discussed for the last 3-4 years on here. We don't want a reincarnation of the first gen Z/28, what we want is a new Z/28 built while keeping the heritage and legend behind the name in mind, but doing so with the (dare I say it?) better parts and engineering available today. Kind of like my music synthesizers, the 20+ year old Yamaha SY99 synth was an awesome synth in it's day and it still is even when compared to the new models from many manufacturers, many of us SY99 owners have been on Yamaha's case for several years for not building a new version of it, not a copy or a clone of the old one, but use the same operating system with todays better effects units, better analog to digital converters, better digital to analog converters, today's faster processors, today's large, fast ram chips, but do it all in the spirit of the original SY99 and it will be a super awesome new synth. And that's the same thing we're trying to get GM/Chevy to do with a new Z/28. Perhaps that makes more sense to you now.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #122
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....Hobbs , that was a strawman response....sorry to inform you that...

How so? That seems to be the response we get when we ask why certain things aren't done or offered on the Camaro.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #123
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Akerson was on record, summer of '11, stating that an RPO-specific fresh "sports engine" created to simply beat a competitor was a non-starter. That was NOT in response to a Corvette request...which left the rest of us "reading between the lines".

If (that word!) a ZEE is to reappear, it will be with an already-applied (or more widely-applied) engine. NO crate engines, NO "specials" (ala BOSS).

For that to happen, there are few alternatives to the LS3...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #124
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Akerson was on record, summer of '11, stating that an RPO-specific fresh "sports engine" created to simply beat a competitor was a non-starter. That was NOT in response to a Corvette request...which left the rest of us "reading between the lines".

If (that word!) a ZEE is to reappear, it will be with an already-applied (or more widely-applied) engine. NO crate engines, NO "specials" (ala BOSS).

For that to happen, there are few alternatives to the LS3...
Of course that doesn't apply to the Vette. It already has 3 specific engines. The dry sump LS3, LS7 and LS9.

The LS7 in a 5th Gen Z/28 is a stretch. The same basic LS3 is more likely, which, in my opinion, is not the right engine.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #125
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
And I appreciate the way you feel, we all have our own ideas about how things should be. And that should not stop us from being friends, we just get a little touchy as we've had so many people over the years pop into these threads with all the answers in one or two posts, yet thay have no idea what has already been discussed for the last 3-4 years on here. We don't want a reincarnation of the first gen Z/28, what we want is a new Z/28 built while keeping the heritage and legend behind the name in mind, but doing so with the (dare I say it?) better parts and engineering available today. Kind of like my music synthesizers, the 20+ year old Yamaha SY99 synth was an awesome synth in it's day and it still is even when compared to the new models from many manufacturers, many of us SY99 owners have been on Yamaha's case for several years for not building a new version of it, not a copy or a clone of the old one, but use the same operating system with todays better effects units, better analog to digital converters, better digital to analog converters, today's faster processors, today's large, fast ram chips, but do it all in the spirit of the original SY99 and it will be a super awesome new synth. And that's the same thing we're trying to get GM/Chevy to do with a new Z/28. Perhaps that makes more sense to you now.
Clyde
That makes perfect sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what GM decides to bring us. I know I've been happy the the camaro showings so far.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #126
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Of course that doesn't apply to the Vette. It already has 3 specific engines. The dry sump LS3, LS7 and LS9.

The LS7 in a 5th Gen Z/28 is a stretch. The same basic LS3 is more likely, which, in my opinion, is not the right engine.
The current triumvirate of Vette engines you mention are all hand-assembled @ Wixom:

LS9 is NOT gonna happen in a Z28.

The "dry" LS3 makes marginally more hp (10-15, some say) than a much-lower-cost "wet" LS3...

...which leaves but ONE...if we exclude the LT1...which maybe we shouldn't...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote