Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #197
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
why is it we have to find the cure for our cars troubles on the camaro5 forums....thank goodness for them...mine grinds everytime i start out .....i always figured it was the limited slip and need not worry with it....now after reading 8 pages of the same thing....i need to have mine addressed....if i had to guess id bet all the ss limited slip diffs suffer from the same thing...it sure sounds that way here..id liked it better if gm had informed me....instead of viseversa
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #198
Carolina SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I also had the issue with a groaning noise from the rear end during turns, especially noticeable with slow speed turns. The dealer replaced the rear end fluid along with the additive and it's fixed.

By the way, I also had the brake squeak issue and they fixed it too.

I'm happy with my Camaro again. Now just have to save up for the Borla S-Type catback and I'll be really happy.

2011 Camaro SS/RS L99
Carolina SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #199
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Well after having my diff fluid changed and the additive done twice to "fix" my Camaro the grinding is coming back. I'm definitely starting to wonder if we're all going to need a new rear end after a while. Scary.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #200
CCbusa09

Drives: '06 Tacoma, '11 Durango, '12 SW 1SS
Hmmmm...........just a thought. I don't have my camaro yet, but I'm very curious to hear if any of you experiencing this grinding/groaning problem have tried disabling traction control and stabilitrak before backing up?
CCbusa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #201
fgraciano1980
My First Chevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa09 View Post
Hmmmm...........just a thought. I don't have my camaro yet, but I'm very curious to hear if any of you experiencing this grinding/groaning problem have tried disabling traction control and stabilitrak before backing up?
Yeah, I've tried that and still got the noise.

Sometimes I can feel it really bad, like when you finish washing the car and the rotors have surface rust.

I took it to a dealer with a printout of the service bulletin for the rear chatter. The service adviser said the TSB doesn't apply to my car because I have 3.27 gears. I tried to tell him it doesn't matter what the gear ratio was, it has to do with the limited-slip which the V6 manual and all V8's have. He just shrugged me off and said "It's not that easy". I think I hit a nerve in his ego. I'm going to try another dealer.
fgraciano1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #202
talltom

Drives: Silver LS
Rear axle TSB

#PI0137: Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise on Low-Speed
Turns - (May 24, 2010)

I have had the gear lube changed twice (with the additive) at the dealership. It still comes back and I do a series of several tight, low-speed figure eights and it makes it go away. I think the additive has to work into the axles (pinions or splines?).

Kinda of a frustrating thing and the noise is a awful growling/grinding. I wonder about damage, but the figure eights do help.

Pretty close to going with Amsoil, Royal Purple or something other than the GM stuff...I am out of warranty and willing to try something else.
talltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #203
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
My SS is going is this weekend for the ABS update, hopefully this will fix my grind problem. Will update if this fixes it ...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #204
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
My SS is going is this weekend for the ABS update, hopefully this will fix my grind problem. Will update if this fixes it ...
There was a PI (service bulletin) on the ABS reprogram. The Tech performed the update this morning, and seems to have fixed the problem. I have not been able to duplicate the grind as of yet. If anything changes I will update again.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #205
osprey6

Drives: 2012 45th vert
Gents, I had the same issue since day one. Only took place when cold. What I didnt notice is the lack of performance. Went to dealer for some other issues (vert top) and after about 24 days they serviced the diff with the additive and the noise is gone. It actually feels like a new car... peppy off the line... gets up and goes. It did not do this before. It seemed like something was holding it back and I thought it was the shitty auto-- I was wrong.

My concern is has damage been done since I have been driving the car for 3500 miles with this issue?

Last edited by osprey6; 11-12-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added info
osprey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #206
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
That's what I was talking about... it's like the binding between the rear wheels is actually braking the car... and it definitely affected the cornering too; it just glides around corners instead of feeling like it has to be wrestled around them. And yeah you don't notice until it's gone. You'd think it would have a big effect on gas mileage too... has anyone noticed an improvement after getting the treatment?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #207
spryorrn

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Grinding on cold start and turning sharp

Mine does the grinding sound on first start when turning sharp in forward or reverse. So if anyone knows I would like to know. I, too, took my car to the dealership and they could not replicate the sound. Now I just turn up the radio so I don't hear it.
spryorrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #208
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
mine does taht when im backing down my driveway, its on a slant so downhill and i turn and makes that crunching weired noise on occassion
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #209
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
also i would change your rear diff fluid if you havent yet, mine was making a grinding/ moaning every sharp turn or when backing out of my drive way.

new gm synthetic gear lube with additive and the noise went right away
There is a service bulletin out for this. I had what sounds like the very same issue. First service dept told me I was crazy. Second service dept verified the sound, applied the service bulletin (changed the differential fluid) and problem gone.

The description the OP gave sounds exacly like what I had going on.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #210
spryorrn

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My sound was in the front end. Spoke with service department a few minutes ago and gave him the information on page 4 of the guy with his VIN number. He says he will check with his techs and let me know. UGH!
spryorrn is offline   Reply With Quote