Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
Catch can not catching

Hey everyone, while trying to track down a gremlin in my engine last night I discovered that my intake manifold, TB, and intake elbow all had a decent bit of oil in them. I currently have the RX catch can and breather cap so the only path oil could get there is if the catch can wasn't actually catching the oil. Anyone else had this issue? Not sure if I should switch to another brand? Also I have had issues with my front main seal blowing and I think I read somewhere that the RX catch can has been known to put pressure on seals? Any info would be appreciated!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
How much have you been finding in your catch can? I've had the elite performance can for 3 years and I find 3 or 4 Tbsp in it every few months. I scoped my TB and plenum awhile back when the intake was off. Everything was dry.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

I don't empty it super often but I never let it get FULL. last night I emptied it and got about 6-7 ounces out of it I would guess.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEESIKS View Post
I don't empty it super often but I never let it get FULL. last night I emptied it and got about 6-7 ounces out of it I would guess.
I'd say 6 or 7 oz. is pretty full. I empty mine every week and get 2 or 3 oz. Some of the vapor gets past, especially if it's that full. I run on the assumption that the more room in the catch can, the more it will catch. The moist Winter air helps fill it quicker as well. I'd be worried if it was empty, I to empty it more often. God Bless America!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

^^ I plan on emptying it more often and also looking into a clean side separator to replace the breather filter thats on it now. Anyone have any input on if it could be causing the front main to blow? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the way the valving was on the catch can it could strain seals
Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
I recommend that you remove the rx breather cap. They are known to cause problems in NA cars. I have the 1Le Clean side separator. It works well from what I can see. Cleaner IM so far at 2k miles since install.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
RX seems to have gone away from the breather and now does a cleanside seperator.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

I went ahead and put my factory clean side back on for now, looking into getting a clean side separator from either RX or a member has an elite clean side separator for sale. Just have to figure out the connection to my CAI tube.....I have an early Injen full length and instead of having a standard 3/8 line fitting it has at least a 3/4" opening that a hose fits INTO and is not very secure. Working on obtaining an updated tube from Injen though.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Well in other news when heading to the dealer yesterday to get checked out my car decided it didn't want its engine anymore. Glad it happened now and not in a few months when my warranty would have run out!