Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
Compact parking meaning

what does compact parking mean? I have seen suvs parked in compact parking spots..someone told me as long as you can fit in compact and not sticking out..or is that for compact cars doesnt matter how big they are?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
SUVs arent supposed to be in compact parking. People that use compact parking are those that dont give a crap about the car. They are physically smaller than a normal spot, so door ding opportunities is 100% higher than normal. Theyre mostly for little cars; Prius, Cruze, Focus, those types of cars.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
It means your car will be smashed like an accordian by a SUV!!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
A local hospital had "Fuel efficient vehicle" parking spaces close to the front door, most of the time you see full sized pickups and SUVs parked in them. They finally removed the signs.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Best Buy here has "Fuel Efficient Parking" and "In Store Pick Up." I park in both when in my truck. It's a '07 Silverado with a V6, fuel efficient right? Truth is my brother's '08 Sierra is very similar, but the new design and new motors. His V8 gets better gas mileage than my V6.

In store pick up, why else would I be there?

However, on the University of Alabama campus they have signs that say you'll be ticketed if your vehicle sticks out of some spots. I don't know what I'm supposed to do if I ever have to drive my truck and park in one of them.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Compact spaces have nothing to do with width. By ordinance (at least in Cali), all spaces are suppose to be a certain width (though many places ignore the ordinance(s) and cram as many spaces as they can into their lot).
Well, then its different here. They are significantly skinnier than a normal spot. Id say by about 20%. Its ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Well, then its different here. They are significantly skinnier than a normal spot. Id say by about 20%. Its ridiculous.
I'll say different here too. No surprise to me though. We didn't even require people to be insured until Jan 2013.

Not as bad as Mississippi though, most people there still use horse buggies and the ones that do have a motorized carriage don't have to have a license yet.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
They are just people who disregard the sign. The space is meant to only be large enough for a compact car but if it's a decent parking spot someone will try to fit their Ford Excursion into it out of pure laziness. It's like the local Texas Roadhouse that has two up front carry out parking spots that has a couple cars parked there you go in to pick up your order and you're the only one picking up a carry out order, pure laziness by people.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
They are just people who disregard the sign. The space is meant to only be large enough for a compact car but if it's a decent parking spot someone will try to fit their Ford Excursion into it out of pure laziness. It's like the local Texas Roadhouse that has two up front carry out parking spots that has a couple cars parked there you go in to pick up your order and you're the only one picking up a carry out order, pure laziness by people.
Yep if it's a empty space some will make any excuse to park in them to make it justified in their own mind. Like for a compact space, well it's smaller than a semi, or for the fuel efficient parking they will say well it's more fuel efficient than my other vehicles... Unless they are really stupid they know what the sign means but park there anyway.
They are also the type that will park in the hashed off area between handicapped parking spaces.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
TJPittbull

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'll say different here too. No surprise to me though. We didn't even require people to be insured until Jan 2013.

Not as bad as Mississippi though, most people there still use horse buggies and the ones that do have a motorized carriage don't have to have a license yet.
Ouch.... I'll have you know Mississippi parking spots are fairly large (compared to Memphis anyway). And I have only seen one horse buggy in Mississippi...

Nothing more to say.
TJPittbull is offline   Reply With Quote