Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
kenni

Drives: 2010 Camaro RY 2LT/RS TF 6M
Exclamation Winter Tires

After hearing what happened to Killer Bee and DJ ATOMIX, I thought it would be a good idea for a Canadian thread so people can talk about what winter tires they got, how they're working and where they get them done. I myself need to switch off my Summer Only tires and would love to know about some good tires and where to get them done around B.C, of course if your anywhere in Canada let us know where and what you got done. I'll keep a list on the front of the first page of good places and good tires.

See http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58247 for the story of Killer Bee and DJ ATOMIX!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
kenni

Drives: 2010 Camaro RY 2LT/RS TF 6M
Good Shops to get Tires put on (or bought)

Good Brands for the LT/LS

Good Brands for the SS
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Tire Rack shipped to the border OR to your home.

Firestone Winter Force for 92.00 each (US) mounted on Heritage wheels.
15.00 for studs.
11.00 mounting and balance on this side.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
I bought my winter tire package from my local Chevy dealer. I bought the 18" Heritage rims and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires. I probably paid a premium to get them from the dealer (about $1900 for rims, tires, pressure monitors, installation and storage of my summer tires) but I felt more comfortable just in case there was any issue with the package.
So far I would say I'm very pleased with everything.

Kevin
Attached Images

kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
ls1_98

Drives: Camaro
Goodyear Ultra Grip mounted on 18 '' wheels.

Already did 3500 km's in December,

Road noise is neglible, pretty good in snow and spectacular in slushy ice conditions.

Drove the p-zeros in cold condition, they are hard... even harder than emt's pretty scary stuff.
ls1_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Got a set of Firestone Winterforce tires ($92) with OZ Canova 18" rims (on sale for $129 regular is $321, look good too). No TPMS, mounted and balanced from tirerack.com. I ordered them on Wednesday night and they arrived at my door Monday evening (basically 3 business days total). All in all came out to about $1500 Canadian.

No idea how they handle yet. The set is waiting patiently in the garage for the car to arrive (was supposed to be built Christmas week).
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
YYZ

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Some good info in this thread...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53326
YYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
2LT RS Camaro manual transmission

MSR Style 045 Black Rims 18 inch (about $150 per rim)
Toyo Observe 18 inch Tires (225 60) (about $190 per tire)
No TPMS

All in (including installation and GST/PST) was close to $1600 at a local tire shop in the GTA.

The tires provide a smooth ride and seem to be up to the task of handling the snow. However, as many have suggested you need to still drive cautiously in snow/ice conditions.

Have your tires torqued to the proper measurements and I had them do it manually versus those mechanized wrenches.
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Well, no Camaro here, but i have had winter tires on my Caprice since i got it (in winter). So, more tires, more opinions...

At first i got some Uniroyal TigerPaw winter/ice tires, and i give them a 10/10 for grip in SNOW AND ICE. Great plowing, great ice traction, my favourite tire so far. The only downside is, they are a soft compound tire, so i only got three seasons out of them (mind you, i have a really heavy right foot.)
[img]http://cobaltss.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/3/91CapriceClassi****.jpg[/img]

Next i got some Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires, and i give them a 8/10 for snow grip, and a 6/10 for ice grip. These are a harder compound tire, and are lasting longer then my Uniroyals, but at the expense of (IMO) poor ice handling. Not going near these again.

I don't even know what i'm going to use on the SRX, but my uncle has had really good luck on Michelin X Ice tires. So i'm leaning towards them.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
I don't think tire-rack has anything listed for the Camaro's now...

Atleast not that I have seen.

I used to be able to get a lot of options on the site for winter setups... both wheels and tires.

Now... Nothing in either category. That would suggest to me they are either out of stock, OR.... problems have occurred which made them stop listing any of that stuff as compatible.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I don't know of any 20" winter tires? I was trying to find some in the 235/55/20 (SRX's 20") and was out of luck without moving down in rim size.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I don't think tire-rack has anything listed for the Camaro's now...

Atleast not that I have seen.

I used to be able to get a lot of options on the site for winter setups... both wheels and tires.

Now... Nothing in either category. That would suggest to me they are either out of stock, OR.... problems have occurred which made them stop listing any of that stuff as compatible.
I think the new weights they are putting on the brake calipers have tire rack rechecking their recommendations. This is for the SS only of course. Still lots of choices for LT's.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Ajax Inferno

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS & 2011 Cruze LS+
[QUOTE=TheCaptain;1329061]Well, no Camaro here, but i have had winter tires on my Caprice since i got it (in winter). So, more tires, more opinions...

Next i got some Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires, and i give them a 8/10 for snow grip, and a 6/10 for ice grip. These are a harder compound tire, and are lasting longer then my Uniroyals, but at the expense of (IMO) poor ice handling. Not going near these again.

I have to dis-agree with the no go for Bridgestone Blizzak tires...maybe cause I'm here in the greater Toronto area (GTA) or that the winter tires are on my Pontiac GTP. But I have to say they perform awesome! We certainly don't get near as cold as in Sask!
Ajax Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
Blizzaks here

2LT RS M6

MSR Style 045 Black Rims 18 inch
L80 Blizzak 18 inch Tires
With TPMS

love these tires!

Only regreat... wish I bought the 20" set up.
Attached Images

mrbrans5 is offline   Reply With Quote