Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
LT Header Hiss (Exhaust leak sound)

Those with LT's, does anyone have an annoying hissing sound under light throttle similar to an axhaust leak? I had Kooks LT's on my Jeep SRT8, and the sound drove me nuts. It was not a leak, just the sound of the engine due to thinner material than OEM manafolds... I don't want this in my 10' SS, but don't want to leave this HP on the table...

Any thoughts...
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
That does not appear to be an issue with the 2010 Camaro. That is provided you buy a quality header Like ARH, Kooks, SLP, ect.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
I know what the OP is talking about, I had that sound on my 02 camaro with Kooks headers and it bothered the crap outta me too. With the Kooks on my 2010 I haven't really noticed that sound, it may be there from time to time but its not bad at all, and only at really low RPM's. Even if it does make the same sound, it doesn't go beyond the engine compartment.

Go for the headers...

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
I know what the OP is talking about, I had that sound on my 02 camaro with Kooks headers and it bothered the crap outta me too. With the Kooks on my 2010 I haven't really noticed that sound, it may be there from time to time but its not bad at all, and only at really low RPM's. Even if it does make the same sound, it doesn't go beyond the engine compartment.

Go for the headers...
I've got ARH LTs and don't have the problem. As for low RPM, with the cam and tune I can't drive below 1200 RPM anyway.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
NinoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post

Go for the headers...
The sound was very prevelant when next to a cement divider or going through town with building on both sides of the car. As I said in the OP I ran Kooks headers with high flow cats, these were very nice (and very expensive). Perhaps it was a charicteristic of the HEMI???
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i wish there was a header that didn't make that high rasp sound in the upper rpm's. it's something i don't too much care for.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
i wish there was a header that didn't make that high rasp sound in the upper rpm's. it's something i don't too much care for.
Sound was a defining factor with SLP.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i wanna hear your exhaust in person tjbusa. reason being is that the lmII is an exhaust i'm seriously looking at, and i'm thinking about getting the slp crossover pipe also. just would like to hear it in person.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)

Last edited by JHart; 01-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Just wanted to resurrect this thread because I just installed my Kooks this past week and was out on the highway today and all I could do was notice that annoying hissing sound. Of course you can't hear it with music on but I drive A LOT with talk radio on so I can hear it. At this point it is enough for me to just say I can do without the added HP of the LT's because when the wife gets in the car I think her complaining is going to be more annoying than the hissing sound. At first I thought it was a leak but now that I know this is a known "side effect" of some headers they may be going into the classifieds section.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
NinoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Just wanted to resurrect this thread because I just installed my Kooks this past week and was out on the highway today and all I could do was notice that annoying hissing sound. Of course you can't hear it with music on but I drive A LOT with talk radio on so I can hear it. At this point it is enough for me to just say I can do without the added HP of the LT's because when the wife gets in the car I think her complaining is going to be more annoying than the hissing sound. At first I thought it was a leak but now that I know this is a known "side effect" of some headers they may be going into the classifieds section.
I hated the sound on my SRT8. While the HP was awesome the sound was not...
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Did you reuse the stock gaskets or use the ones provided with the headers?
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
I re-used the stock gaskets, was informed that the Kooks ones were prone to leaking over time. I don't think there is anything unusual coming from up front. I figured I would hear the exhaust flowing a little more up front but the hiss coming from the rear is pretty annoying. I intend to go out in the morning and loosen up the bolts from the headers to the cats and the cats to the stock cat-back pipes to make sure they are no leaks even though I can't detect anything now. In talking with the shop I go them from, they mentioned that they had heard of others with the Kooks mated up to the stock mid-pipes and mufflers were hearing the same thing. The hiss is most prevalent when cruising on the highway and you give it just a little bit of gas to maybe pass someone slowly or to maintain speed on an incline. Not sure if it is there under harder acceleration because the loudness of the exhaust drowns everything out at that point.

This is my first experience with Long Tubes so I wasn't really sure what I was in for hence the "what is this hissing sound" question...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I re-used the stock gaskets, was informed that the Kooks ones were prone to leaking over time. I don't think there is anything unusual coming from up front. I figured I would hear the exhaust flowing a little more up front but the hiss coming from the rear is pretty annoying. I intend to go out in the morning and loosen up the bolts from the headers to the cats and the cats to the stock cat-back pipes to make sure they are no leaks even though I can't detect anything now. In talking with the shop I go them from, they mentioned that they had heard of others with the Kooks mated up to the stock mid-pipes and mufflers were hearing the same thing. The hiss is most prevalent when cruising on the highway and you give it just a little bit of gas to maybe pass someone slowly or to maintain speed on an incline. Not sure if it is there under harder acceleration because the loudness of the exhaust drowns everything out at that point.

This is my first experience with Long Tubes so I wasn't really sure what I was in for hence the "what is this hissing sound" question...
IC.. I thought the sound was coming from under the hood, but if it's coming from underneath, definitely not a gasket issue.. You did right by reusing the stock gaskets though.
Are your headers coated?
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
El Chorizo

Drives: 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
Guys, I had this issue with Kooks headers on my SRT8 as well. The issue (I believe) has to do with the wall thickness of the headers and just a side-effect. It's not a leak, but the sound of the exhaust kind of bouncing off of the stainless steel. You get used to it, but yes I agree... I hate the sound of exhaust leaks and this is a similar sound :(
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2006 Cherokee SRT8.
2014 Mercedes CLA (On Order) / CLA Forum
El Chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote