Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
Drawbacks of a mail order tune

First of all, this post isn't meant to bash anyone. I ordered the Vector tune when I bought my headers and CAI and they did a great job of putting a tune together for me. The car ran and dynoed great. Well after Camaro Fest, I decided that I had to have a cam and after talking to Ron at Vengeance, I knew they were not only a grest bunch of guys but professionals as well. I e-mailed Vector with the specs of my new cam and they sent me an updated tune.
Yesterday I took time off from work and drove the 70 miles to Vengeance, rented a car, and then drove home. I went back today and the car was finished and ready for me to install my tune. Well the car wouldn't start! After about 10 attempts it finally cranked and they heat cycled the cam and filled the coolant system. They then changed the oil and it was ready for the dyno. Of course everytime they had to start the car, it took six or seven attempts. They said they would be able to tell on the dyno if the tune had taken. They disconnected one of the O2 sensors on the cat for test equipment. Well the tune was way off and the air fuel mixture was off the charts. the tune was very erratic (not at 13?) and they were going to just retune it for me but the Vector program locked the PCM. They tried to call Vector but there was no answer. Well I was stuck without a car, needing to make a quick decision and knew that it would be days before this could get straightened out via mail order. Ron called the local dealer and found out that I could have a PCM overnighted by tomorrow, so that was the decision I made. Ron finally got ahold of Vector but there was nothing they could do at the moment. So here I am with a $500+ wasted tune and had to but a laptop to boot!. I learned a valuable lesson that it's best to keep your business at home. The Vengeance tune by the way is alot newer technology than the other and I am a preferred customer now and they will always be there to back it up.
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Luvpilot

Drives: GM
I sent Kirk a PM regarding this post and the other one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83510

Hopefully he can clarify.
Luvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Thats why I went with the SCT tuner. Any tuner can send you a tune (up to 3 stored)unlike the Vector were you are limited to there tunes.I'm not bashing Vector I'm just saying you have more options with SCT. Plus Jannetty sells them
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkman View Post
First of all, this post isn't meant to bash anyone. I ordered the Vector tune when I bought my headers and CAI and they did a great job of putting a tune together for me. The car ran and dynoed great. Well after Camaro Fest, I decided that I had to have a cam and after talking to Ron at Vengeance, I knew they were not only a grest bunch of guys but professionals as well. I e-mailed Vector with the specs of my new cam and they sent me an updated tune.
Yesterday I took time off from work and drove the 70 miles to Vengeance, rented a car, and then drove home. I went back today and the car was finished and ready for me to install my tune. Well the car wouldn't start! After about 10 attempts it finally cranked and they heat cycled the cam and filled the coolant system. They then changed the oil and it was ready for the dyno. Of course everytime they had to start the car, it took six or seven attempts. They said they would be able to tell on the dyno if the tune had taken. They disconnected one of the O2 sensors on the cat for test equipment. Well the tune was way off and the air fuel mixture was off the charts. the tune was very erratic (not at 13?) and they were going to just retune it for me but the Vector program locked the PCM. They tried to call Vector but there was no answer. Well I was stuck without a car, needing to make a quick decision and knew that it would be days before this could get straightened out via mail order. Ron called the local dealer and found out that I could have a PCM overnighted by tomorrow, so that was the decision I made. Ron finally got ahold of Vector but there was nothing they could do at the moment. So here I am with a $500+ wasted tune and had to but a laptop to boot!. I learned a valuable lesson that it's best to keep your business at home. The Vengeance tune by the way is alot newer technology than the other and I am a preferred customer now and they will always be there to back it up.

Holy cow, you are out of control. The worst part is that you are about as wrong as you can be. How about next time you read the instructions before you make 50 posts bashing a product.

All you needed to do was disconnect your negative battery cable - AS CLEARLY STATED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS - AND ALSO THE SAME AS YOU DID CORRECTLY WHEN YOU FIRST INSTALLED YOUR TUNE -

It's not rocket science. I talked to Ron at Vengeance and he mentioned NONE of this. He just said there was a little hot start issue, but the air/fuel ratio and timing looked good.

A simple phone call back would have cured this in 15 seconds and saved me an hour of answering these ignorant posts.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
SCT Tuned
Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by third1 View Post
Thats why I went with the SCT tuner. Any tuner can send you a tune (up to 3 stored)unlike the Vector were you are limited to there tunes.I'm not bashing Vector I'm just saying you have more options with SCT. Plus Jannetty sells them
With us there are UNLIMITED tunes. We have more transmission calibrations than anyone. Upgrades are always free.

You are only limited by the amount of 2MB tunes you can fit on your hard drive.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
Sorry but Ron kept trying to call you back and never ws able to get you. I did try disconnecting the battery as a last resort and it didn't do shit!
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I just thought the SCT would be easier for me to use.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
personally i could only trust a dyno tune
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSuwaidi View Post
personally i could only trust a dyno tune
Street tunes tend to end up pretty much spot on if you know what you're doing.

Using a load dyno is hands down the best, though.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
slowride-5
Groverat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
Street tunes tend to end up pretty much spot on if you know what you're doing.

Using a load dyno is hands down the best, though.
Bump
slowride-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
[QUOTE=Kirk@VectorMotorsports;1876206]Holy cow, you are out of control. The worst part is that you are about as wrong as you can be. How about next time you read the instructions before you make 50 posts bashing a product.

All you needed to do was disconnect your negative battery cable - AS CLEARLY STATED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS - AND ALSO THE SAME AS YOU DID CORRECTLY WHEN YOU FIRST INSTALLED YOUR TUNE -

It's not rocket science. I talked to Ron at Vengeance and he mentioned NONE of this. He just said there was a little hot start issue, but the air/fuel ratio and timing looked good.

A simple phone call back would have cured this in 15 seconds and saved me an hour of answering these ignorant posts.

Dude, just your attitude tells me to stay away. What ever happened to "the customer is always right". Jannetty would never show this type of attitude. You may have a decent product, but you're arrogance sucks.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
BLWN SS

Drives: Orange SS/RS W/ White Stripes
I dont blame Kirk for his reaction. He gets bashed with incorrect BS ! I've got one of his tunes (tranny) and can go back and forth in a matter of seconds and yes a 10 second battery disconnect is needed (complaint from earlier post) how tuff is that? The customer is NOT always right (or intelligent). If I developed a product I would protect it plain and simple! Just MY 02. worth BTW a dyno tune is only as good as the guy with the laptop.
BLWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWN SS View Post
BTW a dyno tune is only as good as the guy with the laptop.
Yup, but even monkeys can tune WOT.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote