Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Exhaust or Stripes?

OK, So I have been thinking of what I wanted to do to my Camaro. Was wondering if I could maybe get some help from you guys and gals out there.

Option 1: New exhaust pretty much a cat-back. Just wondering what this will do performance wise. I never did exhaust work to any of my previous cars, just mufflers. I just want to know will I get a power gain and will it even be noticable? I know it would sound better but for that money?

Option 2: Racing stripes on the Front bumper, hood, trunk, and spoiler. I have the Victory Red Camaro so I wanted it to be different than the others that will soon be out. I was thinking of getting a cream color for the stripes. I want them painted not the decal.

The price on both of these would be similar. So it is one or the other. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Well if you want Bonnet Stripes with Hockey

I'm going to have a set of CGM Bonnet Hood and Hockey Stripes that are coming with my car. I can sell to you for 1/3 the cost. I ordered different ones. $199 and they are yours.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Stripes don't make your car sound good or perform better.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch720 View Post
OK, So I have been thinking of what I wanted to do to my Camaro. Was wondering if I could maybe get some help from you guys and gals out there.

Option 1: New exhaust pretty much a cat-back. Just wondering what this will do performance wise. I never did exhaust work to any of my previous cars, just mufflers. I just want to know will I get a power gain and will it even be noticable? I know it would sound better but for that money?

Option 2: Racing stripes on the Front bumper, hood, trunk, and spoiler. I have the Victory Red Camaro so I wanted it to be different than the others that will soon be out. I was thinking of getting a cream color for the stripes. I want them painted not the decal.

The price on both of these would be similar. So it is one or the other. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
So far, nothing really stellar has come out in terms of V6 exhaust. Since the Camaro already has twin x-pipes, I think the power gain from the exhaust is gonna be minimal, probably less than 15 hp, maybe more like 8-10hp. The only sound clip I've heard is the MagnaFlow street series, which makes it sound like a ricer. I'm anxious to hear the GMPP cat-back, but so far have yet to find anyone who's slapped that on their car. If you want both of these, if it were me, I'd get the stripes right now and wait on the exhaust. In six months there will be a ton of offerings and you can pluck the best one off the 'net and have it installed at your local shop. I'd say get the stripes painted now and wait on the exhaust. My $.02
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
kutch720

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
So far, nothing really stellar has come out in terms of V6 exhaust. Since the Camaro already has twin x-pipes, I think the power gain from the exhaust is gonna be minimal, probably less than 15 hp, maybe more like 8-10hp. The only sound clip I've heard is the MagnaFlow street series, which makes it sound like a ricer. I'm anxious to hear the GMPP cat-back, but so far have yet to find anyone who's slapped that on their car. If you want both of these, if it were me, I'd get the stripes right now and wait on the exhaust. In six months there will be a ton of offerings and you can pluck the best one off the 'net and have it installed at your local shop. I'd say get the stripes painted now and wait on the exhaust. My $.02

Wow did not know that the HP gain would be so low. I doubt that I would even feel the difference. Thanks for the input. I think I will get the stripes. Now I just need to find a good shop to do them. I doubt there are to many here in Maine. :(
Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
The camaro has a single H-Pipe, not twin X-Pipes.

The V6 gains 16 horsepower from an axleback, 18 from a full exhaust.

At the rear wheels.

Dyno proven.

- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
The camaro has a single H-Pipe, not twin X-Pipes.

The V6 gains 16 horsepower from an axleback, 18 from a full exhaust.

At the rear wheels.

Dyno proven.

- X
It is an X-pipe, see picture here and it does have dual exhaust at the back. http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthre...xhaust+picture. To the OP, my aplogies that I was off by 1-3 hp on my estimate. You should definitely get the exhaust cuz you might not have noticed 15 but thanks to Xanthos we now know that the true number is 16-18, a HUGE difference
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
It is an X-pipe, see picture here and it does have dual exhaust at the back. http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthre...xhaust+picture. To the OP, my aplogies that I was off by 1-3 hp on my estimate. You should definitely get the exhaust cuz you might not have noticed 15 but thanks to Xanthos we now know that the true number is 16-18, a HUGE difference
Actually, its an H-pipe. That is an old concept photo, not an actualy production photo.

And what you actually said was "at most 15, probably 8-10".

Probably 8-10 is quite a large different from actually 16-18.
- X

Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Found it. Here's a picture of the h-pipe.
- X
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Stripes don't make your car sound good or perform better.
Right, you need stickers of part companies that you may or may not have on your car. They should add about 5 hp each, so slap em on! ........
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I was thinking of getting stripes, but after seeing that one SEMA concept drafting with the carbon fiber hood... i may have to go with that... I'm thinking the same style (carbon fiber on the hood but not the cowl) and then white cowl stripes with Camaro lettered on them in black, and then a dovetail spoiler... maybe a better set of rims eventually (nothing flashy). I think that'd go really nicely on VR
Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Fire

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
I'd rather have 16-18RWHP than stripes. Your choice. You can always do one or the other anytime you want. Is it more important for your car to look like you want it right now, or sound like you want it to right now? On the street the performance gain may not be too noticeable. But the sound will give you a chubby with the right exhaust, every time you hit the gas. You can ALWAYS hear your exhaust, you can't see your stripes from the driver's seat.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Also, that 16-18 rwhp is without a tune.

Should pick up a few more (probably 3-5) with a tune thrown in.
- X

Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
kutch720

See now I am all confused. I have noticed though that the exhaust now is getting more throaty. I don't even know if that is a word. I might just save and get both. Waiting for Flowmaster to come out.