Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Yeah, before I hit 1500 miles, and within the first month, it happened to me, it's way over on the passenger side. Almost out of sight out of mind. I had a guy look at it and said it couldn't be repaired so I said I'll wait til it spreads to replace the windshield. Well it hasn't yet, and it doesn't leak, which the guy was afraid of, and that was about 11,000 miles and 11 months ago and it's still just sitting there.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Okay, got you all beat, I win, yeaahhhh. Not 20 miles from the dealership, got a rock chip on passenger side window. Been over a year now, hasn't budged, thought of getting that glue fix, but Safeco did my Subaru, two chips and while they haven't spread, it didn't do any good, still see them and they are as bad as before, albeit,without the added cracking. Almost wishing for windshield to crack..., but that would be wrong...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Wow pmandeep,

Really sorry that your vehicle had to succumb to this unfortunate circumstance. Please keep us updated on the repair process.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Will definitely keep you guys posted on the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Same thing happened to mine at about 1200 miles (iirc) Safelite came out and did that resin BS. It made it better but I can still find it. I just don't want to break the seal on the car yet.

I like the battle scar idea...
Haha even I am liking the idea of battle scar, haha. At this point once it gets patched up, is hardly visible and won't spread out more, I guess I will be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
I had the windshield replaced for a chip almost 2 years ago...... just got another 2 weeks ago.(I'm almost at 45K on mileage) I swear as a kid I don't remeber this happening this often. Same thing to my Toyota truck too.
Wow hope that it won't spread, do you plan on getting it repaired or will just let it sit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Yeah, before I hit 1500 miles, and within the first month, it happened to me, it's way over on the passenger side. Almost out of sight out of mind. I had a guy look at it and said it couldn't be repaired so I said I'll wait til it spreads to replace the windshield. Well it hasn't yet, and it doesn't leak, which the guy was afraid of, and that was about 11,000 miles and 11 months ago and it's still just sitting there.
It still hasn't spread even a bit? Good luck and I hope it does not spread more and lead to replacing the wind shield.

Last edited by pmandeep; 07-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.
pmandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
pmandeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Okay, got you all beat, I win, yeaahhhh. Not 20 miles from the dealership, got a rock chip on passenger side window. Been over a year now, hasn't budged, thought of getting that glue fix, but Safeco did my Subaru, two chips and while they haven't spread, it didn't do any good, still see them and they are as bad as before, albeit,without the added cracking. Almost wishing for windshield to crack..., but that would be wrong...
Damn man you are correct in saying you got us all beat. I guess we will see how mine turns out after the repair is done on, I will try to post before and after shots on Thursday.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I had a chip that developed into a crack that went up the windshield at about 4000 miles. The chip was in the blacked out area under the wiper and I didn't even notice it until after the crack developed. I also went to safelite and specified an OEM replacement. Surprisingly, they did it without a hassle. I did have to wait a week for them to order it. I did not request an OEM windshield on my last car and the knockoff windshield sucked. It was wavy and had quite a bit of distortion.

I think it's strange so many people are getting chips and cracks. It makes me wonder if something has changed with modern glass, or maybe even tires are picking up more stones? I drove all kinds of cars a lot of miles over the years, and I never had a cracked or broken windshield until my last car. I had to replace the windshield twice in that car and once already in my almost new Camaro. It seems even more strange because both of these cars have pretty laid back windshields. A lot of my older cars had windshields that were very upright and caught a lot of debree, but still never chipped or cracked.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I had a chip that developed into a crack that went up the windshield at about 4000 miles. The chip was in the blacked out area under the wiper and I didn't even notice it until after the crack developed. I also went to safelite and specified an OEM replacement. Surprisingly, they did it without a hassle. I did have to wait a week for them to order it. I did not request an OEM windshield on my last car and the knockoff windshield sucked. It was wavy and had quite a bit of distortion.

I think it's strange so many people are getting chips and cracks. It makes me wonder if something has changed with modern glass, or maybe even tires are picking up more stones? I drove all kinds of cars a lot of miles over the years, and I never had a cracked or broken windshield until my last car. I had to replace the windshield twice in that car and once already in my almost new Camaro. It seems even more strange because both of these cars have pretty laid back windshields. A lot of my older cars had windshields that were very upright and caught a lot of debree, but still never chipped or cracked.
More likely, it's road maintenance...less of it these days.

My Camaro didn't get a crack until about a year in. It was filled in, but if you looked closely, you knew it was there.

We didn't start salting roads here in the northwest until a couple of years ago. Every car I've owned here gets a cracked windshield. My Sonic got hit right on the edge of the glass and I still have a 6" curved crack on the passenger side. This happened within 2 days of getting the car.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Your theory may be right. The roads don't get much worse than here in southeast Michigan. Calling them roads is generous, it is more like a collection of potholes and patches.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
CamaroGuyDave

Drives: 2013 1LT A6
I got chip about a half inch above the windshield. Had to go buy a paint touch up pen and fill it in. Still doesn't look the same though.
CamaroGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
inf3rno

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandeep View Post
Nice. Did you have to pay anything for the replacement or was it covered under some sort of repair warranty?
I didnt pay anything....I called them up and explained the crack came back and is growing bigger. They came with a new windshield the next day and said we are replacing it for free.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
Fingers crossed here, 4K miles and no stone chips yet. My last car had a chip and got it repaired by a local glass company. Not noticeable by anyone except me, because I know that it was there. OP I would get it fixed asap. Yes it does seem that there are more chipped windshields on modern cars than years ago.
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandeep View Post
I see, I think if that is the case then even I will be able to see it, cuz since I know where it happened I will always keep looking and trying to find it after its fixed. Just won't be able to help it. :P The reason I ended up actually filing a claim was because, what is the point of having and paying for the insurance if I don't end up using the benefits for which I am paying the hard earned money.

I see, I am really happy that it worked out for you. How did you end up getting the crack? A chip turned into a crack or was it something worst? I am waiting to see how the repair will look, guess will have to just wait till Thursday to find out.
I got hit by a rock flung by someone weed whacking near a palm tree. There was an obvious impact point with a small crack on one side and a 7" crack on the other side.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
pmandeep

Quote:
I had a chip that developed into a crack that went up the windshield at about 4000 miles..... but still never chipped or cracked.
Thanks for posting your experience because I rechecked the whole windshield and found another small chip. This was the chip that I had been looking for while the second rock came along making a new chip which was visible. Thank you, I was able to get both of them fixed.

Quote:
Your theory may be right. The roads don't get much worse than here in southeast Michigan. Calling them roads is generous, it is more like a collection of potholes and patches.

+1 Having only two seasons in Michigan, namely Winter and Construction. I was hoping that the freeway would be a bit swiped and cleaned, but man was I wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blau camaro View Post
Fingers crossed here, 4K miles and no stone chips yet. My last car had a chip and got it repaired by a local glass company. Not noticeable by anyone except me, because I know that it was there. OP I would get it fixed asap. Yes it does seem that there are more chipped windshields on modern cars than years ago.
Yea, I got it fixed yesterday. One of the chip was very minor and barely visible to start with now its completely fixed up. This is the one that had skipped by me without being noticed. The second one that I had actually filed a claim for is also fixed up but its not completely gone. It is still a bit visible from outside. Well I am happy that I won't be having a crack to deal with. Will put up pictures of before and after once I get home in the evening.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
01CamaroF1WRC

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6, 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I got a chip years ago in my 2001 Camaro and the glass is smooth on the inside and outside and still fine. And I drove that car hard as my daily driver. My 2010 got a chip last year and now that chip has grown to a large crack half way up my windshield in a almost vertical line. Funny thing is I only drive the car about once a week since I don't need it for my work commute anymore. I'm still shocked that my newer Camaro windshield has cracked this much. I wonder if the chip expanded due to the car sitting outside in the cold winter and now the heat in the summer. Chevy dealer won't fix it so I have a glass guy gave me a quote around $300 to replace it.
01CamaroF1WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Lots of construction happening around here...heard a rock hit my windshield a few days ago, left several chips in a row (like it skipped across the windshield). Just took it to Safelite today and they said there was nothing they could do with it since it was just a surface defect...and they pointed out 3 other similar chips I hadn't noticed because of the rain. Great. I've never had chips like these in any other vehicle. The worst part is one is right in my line of sight while driving, so I either have to look at it all the time (it's tiny, but I know it's there) or replace the whole windshield, which I don't see the point of since it will likely just happen again.