Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
CookieCk

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
rear end issue?

So a little over a month ago the rear end of my camaro started making some noise. I looked it up on here and found that there was some service bulletin or something for the differential making noise so I went to my dealer. They said they were going to change out the seals and fluid, and they had to order the seals so they kept my car overnight and gave me a rental. No biggie, drove to and from work that night and picked my car up later the next day.

Well the noise went away for awhile, then came back and got worse, so I took it to the dealer again a couple days ago. They asked a lot more questions, said they needed to keep it overnight and look at it and gave me another rental car.

Then today I called to find out what was going on, guy I talked to said he was going to walk back and find the technician working on my car and call me right back. I called back over an hour later when I didn't hear from him. He told me he found the guy working on my car, and that the right rear strut was leaking and that's what was making the noise and they had to order another part to fix it so they have to keep it another night waiting for the part.

I'm mechanically inclined, but I mainly work on older vehicles(have a few old 60s and 70s bugs, my dads '92 BMW and '74 RV, and my sisters '74 dodge dart) so I'm not entirely familiar with my new Camaro, but it seems to me like they just don't want to put down that my car's having the exact same issue so they made up another problem. The noise was the same as before, an almost grinding type sound at low speeds, usually when I was turning into my driveway or a parking space, and they didn't say anything the first time I brought it in, they seemed to completely agree when I said I thought it was the differential making the noise.

Figured I'd see what the expects here have to say
CookieCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
CHEV400

Drives: 2010 2ss
Change the rear fluid with a diff brand than GM and you'll find the diff noise goes away.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
CookieCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV400 View Post
Change the rear fluid with a diff brand than GM and you'll find the diff noise goes away.
What brand would be best? Didn't have any problems til a month ago and I've put over 20,000 miles on the car.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
My car is in right now for the same issue. Getting new seals and updated fluid. Did they put the updated fluid in??
Easton091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The Redline product line is excellent. I run it in my crank case, trans and rear differential.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
avo25

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I think I might be having the same issue too. I starting hearing it a little over a week ago when i would make turns and the dealer said it was "normal" for the rear diff to make that noise and wouldn't look at it. they started to kid around and i was just an over worried girl .Well today I noticed it was getting louder and sounded like I could hear it even when I'm just cruising. My zl1 only has 1800 miles on it too. Now I'm trying to get it to the dealer because I'm not sure if I should drive it and of course the dealer doesn't know if they can work on it for a few days or get me a rental. Sorry for venting, I'm just very aggravated with the situation :(
avo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
CookieCk

Well I got my Camaro back yesterday after they had it 3 days. So far the sound seems to be gone, but it was gone after the first time they had it and came back a few weeks after so I guess we'll see. Might try swapping out the diff fluid for something better myself, I was just trying to not have to work on my Camaro til after the warranty was up and focus on fixing/messing with my other vehicles.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You have a limited slip diff in the Camaro, when new fluid is put into the diff, the car have to be driven in a figure 8 for several figure 8's to let the fluid get between all the clutch packs and so on to prevent unwanted rear end noises. There is a TSB to install thrust washers between the hub and the axle shafts but that's for a clicking rear end noise. I dont know why they would change the seals for a noise like your having but to each their own when it comes to diagnosing. Seals are usually replaced when their dry and squeaking or when they're dry/cracked and or leaking.

I have not heard of any kind of updated fluid, Easton091, I think you dealer is feeding you a bunch of crap.

OP its up to you, you can try to put a different type of fluid in your diff, but if something was to happen where your diff bites the biscuit, you might have to fork out some cash if the dealer somehow notices the fluid inside the diff isn't GM stuff.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCk View Post
Well I got my Camaro back yesterday after they had it 3 days. So far the sound seems to be gone, but it was gone after the first time they had it and came back a few weeks after so I guess we'll see. Might try swapping out the diff fluid for something better myself, I was just trying to not have to work on my Camaro til after the warranty was up and focus on fixing/messing with my other vehicles.
Great to hear your Camaro is up and running without the noise. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
All above who are having the grinding noise issue with the rear diff in your camaro's, I had this same issue back in Nov last year, had it in 3 times to have the diff fluid changed out and the additive added that the TSB calls for, and then the figure 8'sand the noise would go away for about 3 weeks, then return, finally this past Jan they decided to replace the entire diff with a new one and knock on wood, the noise has been gone for 11 months. They said the clutchs were hanging up. Good luck folks..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Latest ?

Talked to my service advisor a few weeks ago about bringing mine in for a correction for rear end noise while backing.He stated new procedure was to change seals , as the new fluid is not compatible with the original seals.New diff.oil already has friction modifier incorporated in it and New rear drive shaft nuts are also required.Apparently a new rear end fluid has been made available.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
victorious.legion

Drives: SS
was this issue resolved for OP?
victorious.legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I hope he got it fixed as it is annoying as hell when mine was acting up..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote