Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
alini

Drives: 2016 Camaro Hyper Blue 2SS
I dont want that option

Why do the manufacturers feel they need to just throw every option at a car and not let us 'build' what we want. I want the V8 with the HUD, so Im stuck doing a 2SS, and now Im stuck with back up camera, all the sensors and a heated steering wheel. I live in the desert, its 105 today. What the hell am I gonna do with a heated steering wheel. But you wont be able to delete that option I bet.
Why cant the 1SS come with a HUD?
1937 Chevy truck. Full custom. Build in work
https://www.teamalini.com
alini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Back up camara requirement is similar to seat belts and air bags - what makes the three similar is subject to much debate.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alini View Post
Why do the manufacturers feel they need to just throw every option at a car and not let us 'build' what we want. I want the V8 with the HUD, so Im stuck doing a 2SS, and now Im stuck with back up camera, all the sensors and a heated steering wheel. I live in the desert, its 105 today. What the hell am I gonna do with a heated steering wheel. But you wont be able to delete that option I bet.
I wanted HUD on a 1SS too!
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Because the more they let you pick and choose what options you want the more complexity goes into the build which leads to quality issues and higher MSRPs.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
I feel you man.the place I am heated seats and steering wheel ain't useful,not in a million years.but the 2SS is not bad at all because you have ventilated cooled seats . besides the heated steering wheel is a free option that comes with the 2ss package and if you don't like it don't use it
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
You could do such in the day. You could even order the engine you wanted. Example, 69 Goat, you could get the stock 400, the ram air III or the ram air IV (no air option) just by checking a box for the engine upgrade. All in the base Goat. No package deals then. No way Jose now!

With EPA testing required and assembly line cost savings you get what they think might move you to the next level and higher dollar ride. They make a larger profit % on the accessories.

I would like to get a 1ss, add leather not cooled and heated, hud and MRC. No back up nannie please just blind spot...Top stereo with out nav etc...no touch screen (ya no touch screen)...

Maybe you can get a 1ss and add the hud? thread on Camaro 5 for such?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
I thought a heated steering wheel was unnecessary as well. I live in Southern California. It doesn't get that cold here, but my dad's Buick had it and I drove it to work a few times while working night shifts in the winter. I used it and it was nice lol. It doesn't get very hot, just warm.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Building a car in 2016 is a lot different then building a car in 1985.

I remember the old days when you could pick and chose individual options. They had packages, but you could also chose individual options inside those packages if you didn't want the whole package.

Those days are gone now. It's a good thing, because it keeps the price of the car down and the quality up.

The last 4th gen F-body Camaro that rolled off the line in 2002 had a variable configuration of something like 3,800,000!!!! That car could have been built and configured in any of 3 MILLION different configurations. Rear defrost was an option, and I am sure many of the people in the desert chose not to take it. You could have power locks with manual crank windows. Power windows with manual door locks. Cruise without delay wipers. Delay wipers without cruise. Tilt wheel with or without cruise, and with or without delay wipers. It was dizzying, complex, expensive, and hurt quality.

Just think of the myriad of different wiring harnesses they had to have for EACH. INDIVIDUAL. CAR.

Fast forward to 2016. Cars are far more complex, as complex as they were in the 1990s when that car was designed. Multiplexing is now part of the extensive levels of computerized and software driven components on even a standard basic car. Where one wire may carry 5 volts one minute, 12 volts the next, then be a ground in the next minute. Where power window switches and horns have only 5 volts at the switch instead of 12 volts, and that 5 volt triggers the body control module to close the 12 volt relay to the horn or power window motor. Where vehicle infotainment and central operations (door lock configuration, lighting, panel dimming, and a vast other array of parameters) are all performed in the central 8" screen on the dash.... where once you had big knobs for air conditioning (if you bought that option) and heating, and a separate radio. That is all integrated.

It is far more efficient, cost effective, and will result in higher quality and more consistency for GM to build the Camaro 2SS with heated and cooled seats, and a heated steering wheel, for EVERYONE. Because most people in the northern states will check those options if they were options. It is actually cheaper for them to make it standard across the board, then to make those features individually optional.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
I'm sure it has something to do with this is not a custom car and every manufactures does this so they don't need to charge for a custom product.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Rocco70
THE YETI

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
I feel you man.the place I am heated seats and steering wheel ain't useful,not in a million years.but the 2SS is not bad at all because you have ventilated cooled seats . besides the heated steering wheel is a free option that comes with the 2ss package and if you don't like it don't use it
Nothing is free
Rocco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #11
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
maybe i should start a new thread cuz I WANT EVERY OPTION.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
Kdogg

Drives: Hyundai genesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Me too! I'am spoiled !
Kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Yes I want mine loaded to the gills!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

Fast forward to 2016. Cars are far more complex, as complex as they were in the 1990s when that car was designed. Multiplexing is now part of the extensive levels of computerized and software driven components on even a standard basic car. Where one wire may carry 5 volts one minute, 12 volts the next, then be a ground in the next minute. Where power window switches and horns have only 5 volts at the switch instead of 12 volts, and that 5 volt triggers the body control module to close the 12 volt relay to the horn or power window motor. Where vehicle infotainment and central operations (door lock configuration, lighting, panel dimming, and a vast other array of parameters) are all performed in the central 8" screen on the dash.... where once you had big knobs for air conditioning (if you bought that option) and heating, and a separate radio. That is all integrated.
I REALLY do not want my 5v signal line to suddenly spike to 12v and then ground out.

--your friendly neighborhood computer engineer
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote