Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Outlaw525s

Drives: 2011 Camaro
2011 Camaro Not Starting.. Theft Light On!!

Oaky. SO a little background story for you so that you all understand the full story.. I bought a 2011 Camaro SS 6.2, 6 speed car.. It is a theft car. The thief took the Motor, Tranny, Wheels, Seats, and brakes. SO I then did some researching and purchased a 2013 Camaro SS LS3(6.2) 6 speed Wrecked car, and decided to make one good car out of two. I am a mechanic so my ability's and knowledge is quite well. I knew that for everything to work correctly I had to change the harnesses. So that is what I did. I took EVERY WIRE from the 2013 and placed that into the 2011. I uses all of the 13's computers that I could think of and installed them also into the car. I put the 2013 dash into the 2011 car. so all of my BCM computers are all from the 2013... I am stumped because I drove the 2013 into the shop before I ripped it all apart. Soo, onward.. I did not have any of the computers or wires hooked up or motor in under the hood and I got the dash inserted. I got excited now that the wiring and dash was in (because that was a HUGE bi*ch) so I hooked up the battery to see if all of the instrument lights would come on... wouldn't ya know it, everything lit up and worked perfectly!. then poof the radio went black, and "Vehicle Theft Deterrent" came up on the display... I think that came up because 1. of my over excitedness of getting the gash installed 2. No computers out front were installed 3. No seats installed 4. No seatbelts installed. So I moved forehead and finished building the car. I tried using the snap on scan tools to reset it, and it wont. So i then loaded the car up and took to my Chevy Dealer. Told them the whole story, talked to the tech who was working on it. and after 3 days, they cant figure it out. Called GM and everything. Tech says i have 30 modules that aren't talking.. So that is my situation. How did this happen? where can i take this to have it fixed? How do i fix it? any ideas would be helpful and hopefully someone has come across it! Thanks Guys in advance! CAN YOU HELP ME
Outlaw525s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Can the dealer re-flash the PCM? Good luck. This sounds like a tough one.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
even if you reflashed the PCM its probably not going to do much, it will just upgrade the system it wont reset anything for you. ask a tech if he submitted a SPAT case so it will go to GM engineers. I admire your initiative, but you are in a poo storm of a car problem.
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Not that it's helps but hopefully the thief ran into the same problem
Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
One other problem I can think of is that the 2011 had a power steering pump and the 2013 has electric ps. You put all the electric ps stuff in the '11?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I am not sure about this, but I think part of the VATS system is in the driver's side door.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
This may be a big issue as a dealer might refuse to work on your car.

Something's not right, you knew that but all those processors must be married together or they won't work. I think you may have mixed and matched something and the car's electronics have locked you out. Of course it takes a very expensive tool to scan these sytem and reflash things. You mention security could it be something as simple as your ignition switch being for the older car? Maybe you have to have the 2013 switch that matches the 2013 security module.

I'm unsure how sophisticated it is? I know the key doesn't have a chip but I thought there was a system in place that demanded more than just having the key.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Man I feel for you , Hope you can get it sorted out .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Hmm. Why does it need to be programmed then?

Someone on the board cut one of the new keys apart to put it in the FOB and said he nicked the chip.

Not sure if there's a chip in the fob or not, just don't see one on the actual key itself. I thought it needed to be programmed so the remote buttons work on your car.

Maybe his keyfob battery is dead, keep it simple.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
What if this is actually the thief and wants to know how to end up with a working Camaro without getting traced back to him? D:

EVER THINK OF THAT?!
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
Outlaw525s

Drives: 2011 Camaro
HAHA No I am not the thief. I am just a guy who bought two cars and is trying to make one good one.. I thought it would be an easier flip... Anyways. they key switch and steering column is all from the 2013. The ONLY module I did not switch was the ABS module (underneath the center council.) I have not heard about the VATS in the driver door, but I will definitely check for that. And yes I switched the EPS all over to the 2011 Chassis.. GM is raising a fuss because they don't like the idea of the project and they didn't do the work, Getting fed up at my local dealer because they aren't even trying anything... Thanks for the help guys! keep the thoughts coming.
Outlaw525s is offline   Reply With Quote