Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Sal08

Drives: 2000 Honda Prelude
Talking New member here chiming in. Want to know which cars the camaro is benchmarked against

Hello everyone ! finally decided to register on this site. I have been lurking for quite sometime since this forum was started. Never thought I would register or post here. I'll be honest im really new to the Camaro world I'm more of a Japanese car fan. I have owned several Japanese sports cars in my past and had the opportunity to drive a C5 vette around for a while and liked it a bit. My previous two cars were a 2004 Mazdaspeed miata, 1994 miata and currently a Honda Prelude that I use for daily commuting. Im really impressed by the new Camaro's overall attributes I love the way it looks and the performance figures seem very impressive to say the least.

My question is to all of you here how do you guys think the car will compare to say for example a Infiniti G37 coupe or the new Z with VQ35HR motor. Also the completely redesigned Z is on the horizon for the 2009 model year. There is a lot of competition out there. My sister currently owns a 2007 G35 coupe and I love the car its quick and luxurious and handles like nothing else.

I wanna know if Chevy has benchmarked a variety of cars to match and surpass them. I saw a spy shot a while ago and I noticed posters of other cars and makes in the garage of that spyshot. It had figures of power and performance listed on it. Im surprised no one brought up that picture if only I can find it again.

Anyways I plan on buying a Camaro as long as it turns out the way I expect it.
Sal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The Camaro's gonna kick everybody else in the bee-hind!

Just kidding, welcome Sal! Glad you finally decided to join up! GM, and Chevy, and various executives have gone on record saying that this is to be a world-class vehicle, superior to every other car in it's class.....in everything.

I don't think anybody who looks at a Camaro will be disapointed in the least, so I'm glad you're peeking at it!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Hey!

Well we don't know what the ultimate performance numbers will be yet. It's still a bunch of speculation. What we do know is the Camaro used the Mustang GT 500 as a benchmark for the top end performance model.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Poison
BEE-OTCH!

Drives: 94 Camaro z28
Hey Sal!

This is how the Camaro makes me feel

Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Sal08

Drives: 2000 Honda Prelude
I had the opportunity to check out the silver Camaro concept in the flesh at the Chicago autoshow couple of years back and recently end of last year at the Dubai autoshow. Im just blown away by its looks, I remember in the theatres here when I saw Transformers people started clapping and you could hear full on cheers booming when bumble bee made its appearance onscreen.

I have my hopes high especially after seeing the recent spyshots on the Nurburgring .

It has changed my perception of what I have thought of Camaros from the previous generation.
Sal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
The Mach 1 is the bench mark for the New Camaro.

Spank Challenger, Mustang, Charger.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The general benchmark for the Camaro has always been the mustang. Today, the Challenger is the #2 competitor. But the Camaro will out perform any car that costs less than it does, and quite a few that cost more.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
ralniv

Drives: far too much
It's my understanding that the Camaro is being positioned between the Mustang and SRT-8s in pricing. Performance-wise, I have not heard anything of benchmark cars (e.g. Nissan GT-R was benchmarked against the 911 Turbo) other than the top-end model performing at least as good as the Mustang GT-500.

The recent spat of pics of prototype Camaro testing at Nürburgring provides some degree of confidence that the car will not be a drag-race special. GM did a good job tuning the Cadillac CTS at Nürburgring and I expect comparable (or better) track performance from the new Camaro.

I'm dreaming up new license plates already...
Mmm rice

BTW, if you live in California, do not take that plate. It's mine!
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
i have a new plate and its so good im not saying it on here

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Hey!

Well we don't know what the ultimate performance numbers will be yet. It's still a bunch of speculation. What we do know is the Camaro used the Mustang GT 500 as a benchmark for the top end performance model.
I'm curious what you all think about the fact that the GT500 has been used as the benchmark. That car to me is overly heavy and has to compensate with a crazy amount of power and doesn't handle as well as it probably could if it was lighter.

When we hear that its being used as a benchmark I hope that means just performance in terms of speed and power? I hope we don't get an overly bloated heavyweight which compensates with a behemoth engine at the cost of handling and feel.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Is_that_a_camaro

Drives: none yet
Bruno, i would suspect that if its being tested on Nurburgring, that it will handle well and be fast on the turns and such, but have some topspeed as well for the straight away. i doubt it will be overweight and bulky seeing as thats the main thing people complain about with the GT500, Chevy's not going to make the same mistake.
Is_that_a_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
hyundai genesis lol

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is_that_a_camaro View Post
Bruno, i would suspect that if its being tested on Nurburgring, that it will handle well and be fast on the turns and such, but have some topspeed as well for the straight away. i doubt it will be overweight and bulky seeing as thats the main thing people complain about with the GT500, Chevy's not going to make the same mistake.
Good point. GM's not going to test this thing on the famous testing track like that just so make it some bloated underhandling pig like the GT 500. Still waiting to see some lap times for the Camaro tho
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It will pound the gas out of most cars on the street. With decent investment in modification, expect a Camaro to keep up with some older Lamorghinis. What is the goal? GM wants to beat the Mustang and the Charger for sure. The Challenger may be a driver's race as it weighs so much. Don't even worry about the rice.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 04-21-2008 at 11:07 AM.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote