Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
I go over my car with a bottle of distilled water everyday and lint free cloth. the paint is almost factory flawless and this car is my daily driver. I go over the top with a dyson vacuum on the weekends. the gallon of 99 cent distilled water lasts about 2 months... so if you're looking to save money, hand wash it yourself. my 2 cents...

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Some camaros are show cars and others are not, mine is the latter. The weather in the Pacific northwest sees all four seasons and as I said, it's a DD. Nothing like spending half a day detailing my car only for it to be caked with axle grease, tar, tree bark, rocks and bugs from a drive to and from work. For those who can keep their camaro in pristine showroom condition, I applaud you. I on the other hand, cannot.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #31
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Does the touchless car wash really get the car clean? You mentioned removing bugs, and I can't imagine a touchless car wash doing much for that.

So far I have only washed my convertible by hand, but I don't have the time to do it as much as I'd like so I end up with a dirty car. I have only used touchless car washes a couple times many years ago and I don't remember the car getting very clean. Maybe I need to start looking for a good one.
Yes I do it when I get off the highway straight to car wash. Also before I go for cruise I spray the front end and windshield with wax detailer. And the bugs just wash off.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #32
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Some camaros are show cars and others are not, mine is the latter. The weather in the Pacific northwest sees all four seasons and as I said, it's a DD. Nothing like spending half a day detailing my car only for it to be caked with axle grease, tar, tree bark, rocks and bugs from a drive to and from work. For those who can keep their camaro in pristine showroom condition, I applaud you. I on the other hand, cannot.
It all depends on how much time you want to spend maintaining your car. We get 4 seasons here in NY as well, and mine is a DD on NY city streets 80 miles a day. For me I have to seal or wax my car every 2-3 months or whenever I deem necessary.

Car washes are a thing in the past for me. After seeing what car washes did to my other cars, I vowed never to step foot in one again. I also got my wife to practice this as well.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
haynes

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2 SS convertible
Does anybody use a leaf blowers to help get some of the water off before towel drying?
haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynes View Post
Does anybody use a leaf blowers to help get some of the water off before towel drying?
I have a cordless leaf blower I use to get leaves and other trash off of my top after a storm.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #35
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynes View Post
Many, many people do.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Notice24 View Post
There is a car wash near my house (mister car wash if anyone has heard of it) and I was wondering if it would be bad for my top to go through the car wash on a weekly basis. It's a normal car wash but wax pours down at the end as well. I really appreciate all of your guys help!

What does the manual say?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #37
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
As others have said, it's a personal choice and should be based on your situation and how you view your car. I hand wash my Camaro, but my DD Expedition goes through a touch-less wash every few weeks. On the other hand, my wife washes her car only when you can't tell what color it is anymore...
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote