Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #57
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I've never seen 'y'all' as 'red neck'. It's more a southern thing, but not necessarily 'red neck'.

I say it on occasion myself and I'm from a North Eastern state...
Since when is New Jersey a North Eastern state? I thought it was below the Mason-Dixon line.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #58
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgy View Post
Ok, just a little off topic, And I see where Muscle Master is coming from, but I have a very hard time taking what he is saying seriously....

Really, do you have to type "yall" in every post you make?

It makes you sound like a red neck. All I can think of is Joe dirt.

Do you have a foot print gas peddle in your car?
Well, I say ya'll all the time. I'm from Texas. It's in our "dictionary." I'm not a red neck, hic, hillbilly, back woods _____, etc. It's just part of our everyday vernacular.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #59
Camaroman_99

Drives: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Please just give me 400 hp (at least) V8. I think the V6 will sell well to the "general public" But......gimme a V8!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #60
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Methanks

NO
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #61
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well, I say ya'll all the time. I'm from Texas. It's in our "dictionary." I'm not a red neck, hic, hillbilly, back woods _____, etc. It's just part of our everyday vernacular.
i say yall all the time to and i am a redneck but not a hillbilly at least we dont say yous guys and sound like a yankee lol, jk. i love the south. the north too its just to cold.
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #62
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Well being from South Mississippi if you don't say ya'll then you're considered an illegal! Joe dirt bag... come on thems fightin words ya'll!!
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #63
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
If the G8 GT is pushing 29k (which no doubt is an impressive car)...do you really think the Camaro would be less? Don't get me wrong...I love this car, always have..and always will...but on the flip side I believe the V8 camaro is a step, if not two head of the G8. Again...I HOPE you optimistic ones are right...but I dont expect to see a sticker price below 30k with the top dog running low 40k. Remember this beast is pushing almost 100 horses MORE than the mustang GT right?
I see your point, and it is valid, but there are a few other things to consider:

1) The G8 is a full-size car with the same underpinnings as the Camaro. So most of the components are the same, but you're paying for more space and comfort. Auto AC, auto tranny, and upgraded sound come standard on the G8 GT. I'd be surprised to see any of those as standard on the Camaro. So while the Camaro may perform better, the G8 is more spacious and luxurious, balancing out the costs. Also, it costs more to ship a G8 from Oz than a Camaro from Canada (in reference to the US market at least).

2) Pontiacs are always at a higher price point than Chevys. Chevy is always the cost leader, and then there is the middle rung of Buick/Pontiac/GMC, and Saturn. Again, see the features list advantage the G8 has.

3) As far as pricing it with the Mustang, yes it may have about 100 hp more, but the fact remains these cars will still be cross shopped, and while they can justify a bit of a premium for the Camaro, they still have to be pretty close.

4) The last and final point: Under $30K is a very, very big barrier. Many magazines that do awards or comparisons using price points use $30K as a division price. So magazine X does a list of best cars for under $30K and best cars for over $30K, the Camaro could be compared to entry level cars from $10K up or BMWs, Mercs, Audis, Caddys, and all the other $30K plus cars. It is also a psychological point for the consumer. Prices that start with a 2 are much better than those that start with a 3. GM could have easily justified a mid $30Ks price point for the G8 GT, but they took the hit on the margin to get it under that magic point.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #64
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Well being from South Mississippi if you don't say ya'll then you're considered an illegal! Joe dirt bag... come on thems fightin words ya'll!!
ye bo!
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #65
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
As much as I would love to disagree, and some have put a bullseye on muscle master for his words..haha..I have to say I do agree...

Ford has stated they are bringing a "new" mustang to the table...we all know thats bogus, but hell...they may add 15 horses, polish the exterior, and bump the price 2,000 for all we know. If the G8 GT is pushing 29k (which no doubt is an impressive car)...do you really think the Camaro would be less? Don't get me wrong...I love this car, always have..and always will...but on the flip side I believe the V8 camaro is a step, if not two head of the G8. Again...I HOPE you optimistic ones are right...but I dont expect to see a sticker price below 30k with the top dog running low 40k. Remember this beast is pushing almost 100 horses MORE than the mustang GT right?

As for the gas guzzler....If I recall correctly GM and Ford both have stated their vehicles did not meet the requirements of a "guzzler" as far as taxation laws are concerned. I believe the Challenger is in a league of its own on that one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I see your point, and it is valid, but there are a few other things to consider:

1) The G8 is a full-size car with the same underpinnings as the Camaro. So most of the components are the same, but you're paying for more space and comfort. Auto AC, auto tranny, and upgraded sound come standard on the G8 GT. I'd be surprised to see any of those as standard on the Camaro. So while the Camaro may perform better, the G8 is more spacious and luxurious, balancing out the costs. Also, it costs more to ship a G8 from Oz than a Camaro from Canada (in reference to the US market at least).

2) Pontiacs are always at a higher price point than Chevys. Chevy is always the cost leader, and then there is the middle rung of Buick/Pontiac/GMC, and Saturn. Again, see the features list advantage the G8 has.

3) As far as pricing it with the Mustang, yes it may have about 100 hp more, but the fact remains these cars will still be cross shopped, and while they can justify a bit of a premium for the Camaro, they still have to be pretty close.

4) The last and final point: Under $30K is a very, very big barrier. Many magazines that do awards or comparisons using price points use $30K as a division price. So magazine X does a list of best cars for under $30K and best cars for over $30K, the Camaro could be compared to entry level cars from $10K up or BMWs, Mercs, Audis, Caddys, and all the other $30K plus cars. It is also a psychological point for the consumer. Prices that start with a 2 are much better than those that start with a 3. GM could have easily justified a mid $30Ks price point for the G8 GT, but they took the hit on the margin to get it under that magic point.

+100

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #66
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post

Good points as well..I have not had the luxury of driving the G8 yet, so I can't speak first hand for some of the perks it may have.

As many have stated, and hope the base V8 is pushing approx. 29k. Of course this is what I would love to see..hell I just finished up college, and the camaro has been my dream vehicle since birth. Of course, along with that comes the thought that the camaro is WORTH more than the competition, and yes I am aware of the Lutz's comments..GM has put passion into this vehicle...so maybe I am just hoping for the worst and in September it will be an early christmas present...who knows.. If I can walk with a fully loaded V8 (I dont plan on touching the top dog), but the next trim down..at less than 35k....I may be the happiest man on the planet...

excluding the man married to Heidi Klum...thats one lucky sum biatch.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #67
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I can't blame a Dodge guy for not believing it's possible to price a quality vehicle so people could afford it...hehe. Next thing we have to convince him is that it will actually run right the first 5 years of it's life.
LOL!!

sigged
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #68
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
so even though you live in North America you don't consider yourself an american? weird. but I've met sever canadians in (newfoundlanders. . .) that consider themselves american. but yea. in reality no matter what you want to call yourself you're still an american. just like mexicans can claim it to. yikes!.
No. I've had this discussion more times than I can count.

'American' is what people from the United States of America are.

'Canadians' are from Canada regardless of the name of the continent it's on. Same goes for 'Mexican's'.

So those, by your reasoning, from South America are also 'American'???? Columbian coffee is really American coffee then? LOL

No more than people from India are 'Asian' because India is on the continent of Asia.

Canadians are 'North American', but not 'American'...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #69
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28collection View Post
i say yall all the time to and i am a redneck but not a hillbilly at least we dont say yous guys and sound like a yankee lol, jk. i love the south. the north too its just to cold.
Oh, I say 'you guys' too. LOL

Perhaps this dual 'language' comes from the fact my mom's family is originally southern and my fathers is northern. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #70
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Oh, I say 'you guys' too. LOL

Perhaps this dual 'language' comes from the fact my mom's family is originally southern and my fathers is northern. LOL
who says "you guys?" It's properly pronounced: "Yous guys" (See my location )

And fwiw, I say "y'all" occasionally too. And I'm about as far removed from the redneck stigma as you can get. Suit and tie, clean-shaven, you know.... (j.k.)

But back on topic, It's quite obvious there are a few people around here who underestimate the Camaro's potential, and GM's commitment to "best-in-class" with this car, in pretty much every area.....Just a few more months now, just a few more months untill it's all out in the open.