Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Exclamation ALERT: Lutz mentions engine options for Camaro -- 4 cylinder turbo a possibility!

DISCUSSION CONTINUED AT: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3285

Interesting stuff definitely:
Quote:
NEW YORK -- General Motors is considering a four-cylinder engine for the new Chevrolet Camaro as a response to rising fuel prices.

Speaking on the sidelines of the New York auto show, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the drivetrain under consideration for the Camaro is the same high-performance one used in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. It’s a 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder rated at 260 hp. Lutz said that if fuel prices continue to climb, the four-cylinder Camaro could see production.

GM has said it plans V8 and V6 versions of the Camaro but otherwise has been secretive. Lutz confirmed that the V6 version of the Camaro will be powered by the same high-tech V6 used in the Cadillac CTS. It’s a direct-injected, 3.6-liter four-cam V6. In the CTS, the engine is rated at 304 hp.

Low-priced version dropped
In the Camaro, the 3.6 liter’s horsepower should be around 260, Lutz said, Fuel economy, he said, will be around 17 mpg city and 25 highway. That would place the V6 Camaro among best in class for a performance car.

Lutz said GM has dropped plans to offer a low-priced, entry-level Camaro with one of GM’s low-tech V6s. GM will position both the V6 and V8 versions of the Camaro as premium cars compared to the Camaro’s chief rival, the Ford Mustang.

The base model Mustang uses a 4.0-liter overhead-cam V6 rated at 210 hp. The base model Dodge Challenger, due in the fall, will use a 250-hp, 3.5-liter V6.

Most enthusiast attention has focused on the Camaro’s V8 engine, which is likely to be a 6.0-liter with about 400 hp. Lutz said the V8 will have a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down half the engine when the car reaches cruising speed. That will help it get better fuel economy.

But Lutz said he thinks most buyers will opt for the V6 because the performance will be strong, especially when the engine is combined with a manual transmission.

“Back in the old days, if you wanted a muscle car, to get a decent one, you had to buy the V8,” Lutz said. “And if you bought the V6, you got a fairly rough, unrefined pushrod engine with low horsepower and weasely performance.

“This time, the V6 is 260-odd horsepower, four overhead cams, very smooth and decent 0-to-60-mph times. And now the V6 is in its own right a very fast, very legitimate car.”

'We are going to be above Mustang'
Lutz said that with the V6, the Camaro achieves a nearly perfect 50-50 weight distribution: “With the V6, it is not a heavy car. The Camaro will be a very lively and engaging car,” he said.

Lutz would not talk specifically about the Camaro’s pricing. The car is scheduled to go on sale next February as a 2009 (?) model, but Lutz did say GM views the Camaro as better equipped than the Mustang, and the price will be higher.

The Mustang V6 coupe has a base price of $20,235. The V8 GT coupe begins at $26,825. Both prices include shipping.

“We are going to be above Mustang,” Lutz said. “We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang.”
Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
WTH?!?!?!?!?!?! this is bull i hate the **** out of gas prices even more now a four cylinder i might as well just get the new cobalt rather then this pos MY cobalt could almost compete with it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

As odd as this concept of a 4 cylinder Camaro may be to swallow for some, I think we'll all just have to get over it and accept that this is part of the compromise we as buyers of high-performance enthusiast cars will have to make, and I guarantee you that through all the bitching and moaning we will. This IS the future.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
:fighting0040:

No 4 cylinders please. Might as well buy a Cobalt SS. It would be faster and cheaper.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post

No 4 cylinders please. Might as well buy a Cobalt SS. It would be faster and cheaper.
THAT'S WHAT I SAID
Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:

ROFL. That was great! Honestly guys, it could be worse, the new Camaro could have been a Daewoo or something. It's honestly not that bad, just a new interpretation of "American Muscle".
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
ROFL. That was great! Honestly guys, it could be worse, the new Camaro could have been a Daewoo or something. It's honestly not that bad, just a new interpretation of "American Muscle".
NO my good sir this is NOT AMERICAN MUSCLE i hardly (no offense) consider the v-6 camaro AMERICAN MUSCLE
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
THAT'S WHAT I SAID
Yes sir you did as I was finding all of the appropriate smilies.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Hmm, I'm not as intrigued about the motor info as I am about the pricing. GM originally wanted to sell 100,000+ Camaros annually priced about the same as Mustang, now what? How much is the "premium" gonna cost us?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Yes sir you did as I was finding all of the appropriate smilies.
i wasn't trying to be directing it all at you but i was agreeing with what you said
Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
i wasn't trying to be directing it all at you but i was agreeing with what you said
Agreed. We're on the same page with this.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
260 4, or 260 V6...does it really matter? It's not like Camaro has never had a 4 cyllinder before. THAT's not what worries me...what make my eye twitch a little is how much more Bob is expecting the Camaro to be than the Mustang.

Better equipped, and better interior is all well and good. And Congrats for that, really!

But what's that gonna cost me? Premium, in fancy talk just means 'more'. 28,000 is more than a Mustang for a starting price. And that will be great, afaic....Anybody got thoughts on that?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
chevyforlife

Drives: '72 chevy truck(long&short box
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife
i mean seriously a four cylinder camaro? give me a break, if this should be what happens i will lose all respect towards this car. and if this happens the same thing that happened to the nova will happen to the camaro.

Last edited by chevyforlife; 03-19-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife View Post
i mean seriously a four cylinder camaro? give me a break, if this should be what happens i will lose all respect towards this car. and if this happens the same thing that happened to the nova will happen to the camaro.

true that

Closed Thread