Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Mike Jung

Drives: '14 CRT Camaro SS Coupe
Petro-Can Ultra 94 gasoline

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2069.aspx

Quote:
Why is ethanol an effective octane booster?

The octane number written on the gas pump is Anti-Knock Index (AKI). It’s an average of two octane ratings using the same test equipment but using different operating conditions. The methods produce a Research Octane number (RON) and a Motor Octane Number (MON). Both were once considered important and that’s why AKI is an average of the two. With modern engines and fuels systems, recent studies have shown that RON is more important than MON. So in these cars, the higher the RON the better these cars perform. For an AKI rating of 91 the lower the MON the higher the RON. This difference is called sensitivity. All gasoline components have different sensitivity. Most hydrocarbon components have low sensitivity. Ethanol has high sensitivity and so, modern performance cars benefit from gasolines with ethanol. Why does ethanol have higher sensitivity? One reason is related to the cooler combustion that results from ethanol combustion. Higher knock tendency is directly related to higher combustion temperature.

Here is a comparison of two fuels with different octane with and without ethanol.
91 Grade - no ethanol
RON 97.2
MON 85.6

Ultra 94 - with ethanol
RON 101.5

MON 88

Notice the difference in RON number from 91 grade without ethanol (97.2) and the RON of Ultra 94 (101.5). The difference is 4.3 numbers. That is significantly more than the 3 numbers difference between 94 and 91 AKI labelled on the pump. That is why gasoline with ethanol can be the best performance fuel for today's cars.
While ethanol is not good for fuel economy...

Discuss, is this benefit to our small block V8's ?

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)
1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)

Last edited by Mike Jung; 02-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Interesting info. Thanks
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Lover of Simone
Lover of Simone

Drives: 45th Anniversary edition Camaro 2SS
So you are saying that we should fill our SS models with the highest number 94 vs. 91? I am just getting delivery of a 45th anniversary SS up from the U.S. and I want to use the ideal fuel for it's engine. I don't so much care it costs a bit more, if it will lead to better performance that you can tell under ideal circumstances, and that it is the least harmful, I would ideally use it.

Thanks, I don't want to upset the new mistress!!
Lover of Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Since owning my SS back in May 2010, I've put a grand total of 6386 Litres (1686Gallons) of Ultra 94 grade from Petro-Can, 170 Litres (45 Gallons) from Shell 91 grade and 10 liters (2.6Galloons) from Petro-T of 89 Grade. I know that everytime I didn't use the 94, I lost performance and had to Pull the Fuse to get back on the HI-AKI charts to restore the power!

Anyone interested on knowing how much 6566 Liters is equal to in $$$$ ? lol

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Since owning my SS back in May 2010, I've put a grand total of 6386 Litres (1686Gallons) of Ultra 94 grade from Petro-Can, 170 Litres (45 Gallons) from Shell 91 grade and 10 liters (2.6Galloons) from Petro-T of 89 Grade. I know that everytime I didn't use the 94, I lost performance and had to Pull the Fuse to get back on the HI-AKI charts to restore the power!

Anyone interested on knowing how much 6566 Liters is equal to in $$$$ ? lol

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
They recently added Ultra 94 to Calgary area last summer. I tried it for a few tanks, but really didn't like the way the car ran with it. I have since switched back to 91 only...
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Lover of Simone
Lover of Simone

I read that 91 is preferable to 94 somewhere on another forum. I usually fill up at shell which doesn't put the extra ethanol in?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
bowtie22

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
91 versus 94 octane

Regarding the ethanol in 94 octane. I read an article that ethanol decreases fuel efficiency. I've also read that 91 octane is just as effective. However, in the owner's manual, it states that the vehicle will run if you use 87 octane. The computer retards the engine to eliminate any knocking. Then there was the segment on the CBC's Market Place, which asserted that high octane gasoline is ineffective. Rather, it's money wasted.
I am a proponent of good scientific research. Why didn't they (Market Place) test their theory on high performance vehicles? I believe that the only way we'll know if we are wasting our money is for some entity or unbiased and neutral organization conduct an octane test with 87, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octance fuels on high performance vehicles.
bowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Lover of Simone
Lover of Simone

Oil companies want to make money off us plain and simple. I have worked for CBC and they are not unbiased. Anyway, high compression engines do benefit from added octane/ethanol because it compresses better in the cylinder, but you only benefit if it has been set up to handle it. I believe the LS3 is 10.5:1 ratio and I am still trying to determine if this is considered high compression? 5th Gear on Youtube did a study on premium fuel vs. standard, and generally found that high compression engines that are turbo or supercharged need the higher octane and benefit for sure.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Lover of Simone
Lover of Simone

So, another way to look at it....are our "muscle car" engines performance tuned to benefit from the additives or not? Certainly, high revving, super compressing engines will benefit, but do big cubic inch, naturally aspirated, modern V8's benefit? Or do we waste money?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I really don't think these big car companies would spend million and millions of dollars on engine research and then just decide on a whim that people should put premium in their car instead of regular. There is obviously a valid reason that they have made that decision.

Our cars (V8's) have been tuned to use the premium fuel to get the maximum out of them from factory. Of course once you start putting mods on such as CAI, ported throttle body, headers, exhaust, etc.. a new tune is needed to get the maximum benefit from those mods.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Lover of Simone
Lover of Simone

Thanks, Mhoskins76, I believe that makes the most sense. I will put premium in even though the manual says it can run on regular. Premium is recommended.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Simone View Post
Thanks, Mhoskins76, I believe that makes the most sense. I will put premium in even though the manual says it can run on regular. Premium is recommended.
Well you can run it on regular, that is your choice and the ECU will compensate for it by giving you less power. But if you want to get the most out of your car then premium is the way to go.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I run 94 Octane in my car. I was provided with 2 tunes by Ted Jannetty. One for 91 and one for 94. He told me to run with the 94 whenever possible. Now...if I don't take my tuner with me and am unable to buy 94 Octane fuel, after a couple of fills on 91 Octane, my mileage goes for a crap and power drops off. Kicking it back to a 91 Octane tune, the mileage comes back, it runs better and power is better, but as good as with 94? I would say no. I would have to say these cars run better on 94 Octane if they are tuned for it. But you definitely need a tuner with both tunes available to kick it back to 91 if you're traveling. That's the only drawback I can see until more stations across Canada start selling 94. I believe the highest I've seen in the U.S. is 93. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote