Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #85
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Interesting information. It definately gives me hope. I'm struggling with the idea of a supercharged SS making more power than an LSA-Z28, but to have a complete car engineered to harness and use that power is another thing altogether. It'd be nice to see some more follow-up information on these FI'd SSs and see how well they use that power. It seems to me that the SS is already a great foundation for adding power, IMO. I don't know that I could afford a Z28, but I'll definately try and if I can't, I'll have a go at making one out of an SS.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #86
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Disclaimer: I own Pedders Suspension and we sell parts for the Camaro.

When I purchased my G8 it was well known that a GXP version would be released. For business reasons, it is important that we get in certain new vehicles quickly so I purchased a GT version of the G8. Now that the GXP is in the USA, I can tell you honestly that there is no measure in which the GXP performs better than our modified GT. We are faster, handle better and stop better than the GXP. That isn't just my opinion. That is the opinion of expert race car drivers and a soon to be released magazine article.

The question isn't can you build a version of the Z28 that will be equal to or better. The question is should you wait. There are a number of ways to respond to this situation and most of them would be correct even though the answers are different. Many years ago I met Walter Payton. We got to know each other through business. I went from being a fanatical fan to learning about the man that was the legendary player. It was an experience that caused me to make some changes in my life. Walter had a way of doing that to people. He was a leader. He wasn't perfect, but he was a leader. He preached two things. DIE HARD -- run every play on and off the field as hard as you can. Make anyone that tries to stop you pay for the attempt. The other is play every play, live every day like it will be the last because NO ONE IS PROMISED TOMORROW.

Most of you know, that Walter died a young man. When I, learned of his death my first reaction was grief. That changed almost immediately as I thought about how he had lived. Walter filled each day with more life than many people experience in a year. He accomplished so much. He helped make his teammates, friends and family better. He lived a complete and full life and the length of his life did not matter. Walter was still leading. These thoughts made me smile.

Walter and I shared many views on life. He brought focus to something that I had been putting off for the 'right time'. While my wife and I had been together for 10 years, we had no children. Walter asked me what I was waiting for. I made a joke about practicing every night and then started thinking that there never would be a perfect time. My wife and I had our first child a less than a year later. We now have three.

The decisions you make in life must be moderated with your life goals. They cannot be contradictory. You cannot have a goal to be financially independent and spend more than you earn because you can't wait to enjoy a new car, stereo or vacation. No one is promised tomorrow is not an excuse to not plan for the future. It is a reason to make decisions with the urgency and knowledge that no one is promised tomorrow. There is a price for acting now and there is a price for waiting. Only you can make the right choice for your situation.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #87
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
only one convertable z28 was ever built (to my knowledge) and it was for one of GMs top dogs wife.
Not true, The prototype has already been built, tested and vetted. No Vert Z28 has been confirmed to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Joe View Post
I don't know if I can wait two years for this.....
Me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee View Post
The Z28 seems like a great idea but why not just buy a SS now. Simply get some forged pistons and a custom turbo setup and just dominate C6 Z06's, Zr1's and Z28's later
That is the very problem I am contemplating right now....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #88
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
This could be a sweet deal. The SS should be paid of in around 5 years so that gives 3 years for the Z to come out then 2 for prices on used ones to get under 30K. Looks like I'll have both in my garage around 2014 or so.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #89
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
only one convertable z28 was ever built (to my knowledge) and it was for one of GMs top dogs wife.
Only one 1st Gen convertible z28 was rumored to be built.

There are thousands of 3rd & 4th gen convertible Z28s.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #90
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
i agree that aftermarket tuners can slap go fast goodies on just like GM...but i don't understand the reasoning behind gm needing to offer different suspension, brakes, or weight reduction trims. if the aftermarket tuners can slap the go fast goodies on, wouldn't it makes sense for them to do the brakes and such as well? i alway's considered them in the same category personally

also, the reason people think this car should be built is so that mustang owners will stop comparing a $47k gt500 to a $33k camaro...can't wait for the shenanigans and goings on in the GT500 vs. Z/28 threads.
I should probably clarify - I would like GM to make different performance trims. The aftermarket can also make custom Camaro models. Look at what is already out there for Camaro already, as well as the Mustang and Challenger. Some may add tons of supercharged power, and some may focus on making the Camaro a better handling car with the suspension, brake, weight, steering, and seat upgrades. Now GM can do the second option with no fuel economy penalty. In fact, with weight reductions fuel economy may actually improve. And yes, the aftermarket companies can do that too. However, the first option, with tons of supercharged power, which is what the Z28 probably will be, will cost dearly in terms of fuel economy. Now if an aftermarket company does that, it really isn't a problem because CAFE does not apply to them. However, if GM does it they make it harder on themselves to meet CAFE. Now if they left everything to the aftermarket, they make no revenue on that. Going for the handling route in house at GM means they can make that revenue and not have CAFE problems.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #91
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
This could be a sweet deal. The SS should be paid of in around 5 years so that gives 3 years for the Z to come out then 2 for prices on used ones to get under 30K. Looks like I'll have both in my garage around 2014 or so.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #92
jeremy02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Z28, BumbleBee

The Z28 new generation Camaro is going to look like BumbleBee from The Transformers. Same hood, same front.

Yeah I know there is a BumbleBee edition coming out, but mark my words. The new Z28 has been under your noses all along and you never even knew it.
jeremy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #93
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy02 View Post
The Z28 new generation Camaro is going to look like BumbleBee from The Transformers. Same hood, same front.

Yeah I know there is a BumbleBee edition coming out, but mark my words. The new Z28 has been under your noses all along and you never even knew it.
This has been discussed for months on this board and you never even knew it.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #94
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29766
Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #95
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
This has been discussed for months on this board and you never even knew it.
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #96
JoeySS/RS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS / RS
I think everyone knew that the new Z28 is going to be nearly identicle to Bumblebee from transformers. Would have been nice if it was available now for sale, but what can you do. Aftermarket should be pretty good for making your car similar ...
JoeySS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #97
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
well if they are gonna make a z28 why not make it lighter they should do everything to make it lighter then the SS

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #98
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
When they release the new z28, they should put in a 302 with a carburetor on it
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28