Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Californa emissions violation/citation

Has anyone been cited for an emissions violation, specifically long tube headers, high flow/no cats? Not concerned about noise violations. Only serious emission violations. What happened, how much did it cost, and how did you fix it.

2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Has anyone been cited for an emissions violation, specifically long tube headers, high flow/no cats? Not concerned about noise violations. Only serious emission violations. What happened, how much did it cost, and how did you fix it.

Luckily not me. And hopefully I won't have to find out. But if I hear something, I'll let you know.

-G

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Last I was told it is 1k per cat that has been moved from factory position, I could be wrong though. The fix? Put manifolds and cats back on or be forced to pay the fine
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
I have twice... Just paid the fine, never even took it to the ref... Even if you go to ref you still have to pay the fine... Stupid law..
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
I have twice... Just paid the fine, never even took it to the ref... Even if you go to ref you still have to pay the fine... Stupid law..
and was it 1k per cat? jesus I hope not. was it on a random stop?
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Ryne @ CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
No it was like $450 total... He pulled me over because I was with a group of loud cars, just picked me out of the group... Honestly it's a rare instance..
Old 01-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
No it was like $450 total... He pulled me over because I was with a group of loud cars, just picked me out of the group... Honestly it's a rare instance..
yeah I got pulled over in the parking lot of the gym after just starting my car and pulling away. asked me all kids of questions about my car being loud and (for some reason) race fuel...then told me to keep it down. I never went above 2k rpm lol...I was keeping it down lol. the guy was a pr!ck.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Ryne @ CMS

Quote:
yeah I got pulled over in the parking lot of the gym after just starting my car and pulling away. asked me all kids of questions about my car being loud and (for some reason) race fuel...then told me to keep it down. I never went above 2k rpm lol...I was keeping it down lol. the guy was a pr!ck.
Most cops are cool though... Only if you're driving likes douche they tend to mess with you..
Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
I was only told that but had no evidence if it was real or not.

Even if it's $450 a ticket plus finding a smog hook up every 2 years isn't worth it for the price. I'd rather just have smog legal stuff and not have to worry about getting pulled over for excessive noise or failing smog, that's just me though
Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Ryne @ CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock6.0GTO View Post
I was only told that but had no evidence if it was real or not.

Even if it's $450 a ticket plus finding a smog hook up every 2 years isn't worth it for the price. I'd rather just have smog legal stuff and not have to worry about getting pulled over for excessive noise or failing smog, that's just me though
You don't have to have your car loud... My current cars are in fact very quiet. It really depends on your enthusiast level with cars.. To a lot of people having a car that much faster or fun is worth it to them.. It's all up to the end user.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Dont drive like a complete idiot or piss of the LEO. I have gotten fixit tickets for noise...those cops knew my car had been modified..they dont care unless you are being dumb 99.9998% of the time.

the new california smog laws are supposed to change some things...so that may alleviate your worries about getting a pencil whipped smog test every 2 years.

Ryne your vette is NOT quiet.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Ryne @ CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Dont drive like a complete idiot or piss of the LEO. I have gotten fixit tickets for noise...those cops knew my car had been modified..they dont care unless you are being dumb 99.9998% of the time.

the new california smog laws are supposed to change some things...so that may alleviate your worries about getting a pencil whipped smog test every 2 years.

Ryne your vette is NOT quiet.
It is to me... Lol
Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
You don't have to have your car loud... My current cars are in fact very quiet. It really depends on your enthusiast level with cars.. To a lot of people having a car that much faster or fun is worth it to them.. It's all up to the end user.
Is your exhaust under 90 decibels lol I plan on a smog legal supercharger with shorty headers and sweet thunder exhaust. Smog wise I'll pass and never worry, sound level will always be in violation lol