Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
New Corsa install, Popping on acceleration.

Ok, so I installed the Corsa cat back system last week because they have no drone. I have heard the videos for this system a lot and I like the raspy sound. What I have never heard is the issue I am having.

I am getting popping on acceleration/WOT.

NOT deceleration, I know about that. That is there and that isn't the issue. I am getting the same noise only faster pops, kinda like a machine gun, on ACCELERATION.

The only other thing I changed is I installed a K&N Air Filter at the same time as the exhaust but I can't see how that would affect anything. BTW, all I did was unwrap and install the filter.

Has anyone had this issue? I spoke with Brian at Auto Agenda (Thanks for your time BTW) and he mentioned the system may need to be broken in. If this were the case why wouldn't Corsa mention this in it's documentation?

This system costs a fortune compared to the others and I wonder if I somehow got a bad one or what?

(Yes I have been driving it and then checked to make sure everything is tight. TWICE. It's not leaking. The popping sounds like it is coming from the back by the exit/mufflers, not the engine. I also have not seen any codes in the info area. I hope this covers all needed info for figuring this out.)

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
are u getting the popping when you shift gear at wot?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i read on here that if you over torque the connections they'll leak too.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
sounds like something is not right, my Corsa LS3 with Longtubes has no popping on acceleration.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
sounds like something is not right, my Corsa LS3 with Longtubes has no popping on acceleration.
same
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
are u getting the popping when you shift gear at wot?
No, only on acceleration. I ease off as I depress the clutch like a good boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
i read on here that if you over torque the connections they'll leak too.
But how would a leak cause a popping noise from the muffler?

I tried to make a video but it's just to damn windy here today and all I got was wind noise. Maybe I will try calling Corsa tomorrow.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Sounds like a misfire?
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Nope.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Spoke with Paul at Corsa, thanks btw, and he said a leak would cause popping. He said placement of clamps and pipes are critical so I will quadruple check this weekend and see.

Thanks everyone.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Man I love mine.....

Mine pops when I let off it.....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
i think its definitely a leak. put mine on and started her on the lift just to hear how i liked it, (had the rear clamps only tightened slightly to hold the pipes in place...there was a couple pops when pushing the throttle hard. hopefully you figure it out cause it's a great system. i love the sound and the decel pops are perfect =)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

DOH!!!!!!

It was a leak. Live and learn.

Turns out, after I loosened the front connections up, I noticed that the factory pipes didn't really line up with the new Corsa pipes now that everything was on. Once I disconnected them I couldn't get them back together, they where to wide. When I installed this everything was fine, or so I thought. So I layed there looking at the two new Corsa pipes and Paul's words came back to me about having some slack in the connection directly after the connection to original pipes. So I switched the right to left pipes and everything fit together nice and smooth.

She sounds right and awesome with no popping. Like I said , Live and learn.

I am posting my mistake so that in the future if someone has this issue the will learn from my mistake.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!