Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Typically from those I have seen sell their cars, they take about 60% of the mod value they invested, do not add the labor charge, and list the car at the "good" value rating plus the value listed above. This is the starting point. If the car has had work done and the buyer wants to mod or buy a modded car, I feel this is reasonable IMHO. You will never get as good a deal on mods as when they come with a car or are used. Just be sure they are to your taste, are in good condition, and the owner is upfront with all that has been done. Because of the lack of trust in humanity nowadays, most prefer to buy a stock car and mod it themselves to their taste. This is assuming the previous owner did not just remove the mods they had on it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Man I'm not trying to nick-pick or anything but I just don't see 12k in your listed mods in your signature, What I'm I missing here?
:noid:
Its amazing how fast things can add up. I have about 10k in mine. Thats including all the mods and labor (I have a lot of custom paint that I did myself so thats figuring me paying someone else to do it) Minus labor, I still have about 7-8k. Even for me looking at my car its hard to see that Ive dropped that much $$ but Ive figured it up and yea, that's an accurate #. Oh yea and already more mods currently ordered and on their way. It never ends, lol.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
45th SS

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
40k car and added almost 20k worth of mods. Id be happy to get 40-45k for the car but that's just not gonna happen. I'm at a loss.
45th Anniversary. Borla LT(catless), Borla S type, CAI intake and Rhino79 installed whipple 2.9L, alky meth kit, 102mm throttle body , GPI tune, VVT custom competition cam, 416ci stroker, forged internals.
45th SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
If someone takes a modded car to a dealer for trade, they're going to get raked over the coals. Dealers could care less about mods. They'd actually rather have a stock vehicle because once modded, they're a hard sell (dealer or private sale). It's a very limited market. Not everybody likes the same mods. A person modding their vehicle should NEVER expect to recoup their expenses. I would never buy a heavily modded vehicle without some kind of warranty from a reputable source (Hennessey, Callaway, etc.).

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Mods add no value unless you find an idiot to sell to. Which is why I never understand mods after a certain point. I'm not throwing away money on anything other the intake, exhaust, headers ect. Once I hit a certain price point I'm better off buying a Corvette. Especially those overdone civics and other 4 and 6 bangers. Why polish a turd. It's still a turd.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Ones best mods are to personalize to their own taste and hopefully it is appreciated by others. Hotrods are a money pit if you make them that, and it is not needed to be made into some ferocious street machine as it already performs very well for a Camaro, and gets good gas mileage. I would say on the freeway I get double the mileage of my last 406 small block that was carbureted with edelbrock, and dart, comp cams etc.... It is all in making it what you want, and if you do not keep it long well you will not get the enjoyment out of your money. For some they just throw more and more at it...... I am with the last guy if I wanted so much more I would go zl1 or vette more likely. The new ones are sweet. How much better does a car need to be when you have the best one of all you neighbors or co-workers? And does it meet your needs and expectations? Or is it not enough for your ego? And how much money does one need to put into it to be happy? Mines a daily driver, and yes it finds its way in the snow and heavy rain. And is fast enough but can get better. My most loved mods are simple ....like a lifetime air filter/cai, a oil catch can to protect my car, some hood spears, and some badging and rocker stripes to go more retro. And of course then you get more expensive with custom wheels to taste. I expect nothing in trade in value but to a private seller it would be more $, and I hope it maintains its value somewhat better due to TLC.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Pennies on he dollar is what you get out of mods. I'd be lucky to get a few k over book value
Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
BreedsAS

Drives: 16 Camaro: Mosaic/2SS/A8/NPP/Custom
Quite honestly, for those that have aftermkaret pricey performance mods, I would not want to pay used ZL1 price for an SS with performance mods to match the ZL1.
Why? Because the stuff from GM will most like be more problem free than aftermarket "put-togethers" by installers that could almost match GM quality, or who did a complete botched install.
It's just too risky for the price.

'16 Chevy Camaro 2SS Auto - Mosaic Black l Kalahari Interior l NPP l Nav l Sunroof.
Prismatic 22" concave Koko Wheels l Lexani Tires l GM Splitter l ACS Rockers l ACS Spoiler l BMR Drop l Limo tint l Smoked Lighting l Debadged l LEDs l WeatherTech l More to come...
YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq4...9-q-ccCuqVONUw
BreedsAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Quote:
Man I'm not trying to nick-pick or anything but I just don't see 12k in your listed mods in your signature, What I'm I missing here?

And too the O.P.
9.9 out of 10 times you do not get your mod money back.
Unless you find a Straight fool!!

++1 to 'Avenging Orange' above me, I do the exact same thing and sell or put on my new ride if compatiable ( it's the only thing to do IMO)

It looks pretty close to me...
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
It looks pretty close to me...
I guess "custom" work costs custom pricing.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Most people will lose money on mods. And I don't mean the money they spent on mods, I mean that you should expect to get LESS than what a similarly OE-spec'd and fully original car with similar mileage would get.

Mods scare away most people, especially changes to the engine, transmission, or suspension. Most dealerships I've spoken to in my lifetime will offer less for a modded car than an un-modded one and there's no reason private sellers shouldn't expect similar results with prospective buyers.

The exception is if you find an idiot to buy it from you or someone who was looking for a car with those exact mods. Good luck with those.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I had a 2011 v6 2LT RS that I traded in for an SS. Dealer made it work that I made $1000 over what I owed and I only owned it 2 months..

That said, it probably just got tacked in to the sale of the SS and he just made the numbers look good for me.
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #27
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
A person modding their vehicle should NEVER expect to recoup their expenses.
This
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #28
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

And too the O.P.
9.9 out of 10 times you do not get your mod money back.
Unless you find a Straight fool!!

++1 to 'Avenging Orange' above me, I do the exact same thing and sell or put on my new ride if compatiable ( it's the only thing to do IMO)
Well you did nick pick afterall lol
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote