Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Question Winter storage

I'm looking into getting a dd/beater for the winter, and storing the cameo in a garage. With the car probably setting for weeks at a time, what methods should be taken to keep everything good and fresh?

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
I'd like to know what to do to store a car for the winter as well. Plus I may keep mine under just a roof, so wind etc. will blow in on it. Am thinking of a car cover but afraid the wind would flap the material and cause paint damage. Anyone with any thoughts?
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
It's way too early to be talking about storing a car for winter, bring it up again in September.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
+2 i also want to know....plus are public storage garages safe enough for winter car storing?
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
NO COVER OUTSIDE - It will sandpaper your paint every time a bit of dust blows under the cover and the wind will move it ALL OVER!!! Not good!

I would either remove the battery and store it on some wood or hook up a battery tender at the minimum.

Mouse bait under the car is good if you do not have small pets that might get into it. Maybe another inside the car and one of the engine for good measure.

You should change the oil just before you store it and leave it alone untill you are ready to take it back out in the spring.

Hows that for a plan?

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
If you aren't going to drive it for awhile put tennis balls in the exhaust pipes to keep rodents out.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
First, if you have questions about winter storage, suggest you post on the Canada forum as they might have more insight. Also include in your post regarding if the car will be parked outdoors (or exposed to wind, etc), indoor heated or indoor non heated. I had many of the same questions when I moved to Canada from the US back in 2003. I have many good car nut friends here in Ottawa, almost all store either their restored classics or newer high performance cars in the winter.
My advice is only from my personal experience storing my 1998 Buick Riviera that has never experienced winter driving. I live in a high-rise and store in an underground parking garage from late Nov. - mid April. Because it is underground never freezes but after months of people driving in and out during the winter moisture does occur from stuff melting from daily drivers, and after a few months it can get dusty. I do not use a car cover, as it is parked indoors, I expect heavy dust build up. If you want a car cover, get one that is form fitting and has tension straps that wrap around the under body to keep the cover from shifting and rubbing the paint. Do your car cover research before you purchase as some are made for outdoor, some for indoor, etc. Car cover or not, have a good coat of wax on the car, and wax wheels if required. I also place a few boxes baking soda, opened in the interior, to prevent musty smells (if a box of baking soda works in your refrigerator, will work in the interior of your car). If you are parking for the winter have all fluids checked and change the oil. When you pull it out of storage change the oil again as fluids degrade when not used. Very important add a fuel preservative liquid to a full tank of gasoline, can be bought cheap at any auto parts business and one bottle will last you for years (important your tank is full before storage to prevent condensation in your tank). Next, don't know anyone here in Canada that actually puts their cars up on blocks just for the winter. After the car sits for months you will get flat spots on your tires (fill tires with recommended air before winter storage) but after driving for about 1/2 hour tires heat up, no more flat spots. Also condition all rubber door seals, something you should do each year regardless if you store a car for the winter or not.
Last, and still a debate, is if you should start the car and let the engine run for about 1/2 hour once a month (never gun the engine cold!!!, regardless if it has sat for a night or for a winter). If you are only storing for 4-5 months per year, personally I suggest you do not start the car as it drains the battery. If you are only storing for 4-5 months seals will not dry out that fast. If you are storing for years, yes you do need to run the engine occasionally to keep seals lubricated. Last issue, remove the battery or not? I have been storing my Riviera for 4-5 months per year (winter), indoor parking, never disconnected the battery, and each April the car starts perfectly. Not sure if this would be the case if during the winter months the car was exposed to months of freezing temps.
Last and final issue, I do have my cars rust treated each year (Krown). Ordered my 2011 Camaro May 18. Hopefully will receive end of July. Will not pay dealer anything extra for dealer applied rust treatments. My trade in was a 1996 low mileage Sebring LXI, mostly Texas car until 2003. When I moved to Ottawa in 2003, car had no rust; when I used my daily driver 1996 Sebring as a down payment on my 2011 Camaro, the Sebring had no rust and perfect paint (no chips). I attribute no rust to my Krown annual treatments starting when I imported the Sebring to Canada. When I receive my 2011 Camaro, 1st mod will be front clear bra and window tint, second mod will be rust treatment at Krown. 3rd I must get a serious coat of wax on my Summit White Camaro before November.

Last edited by abaucom21; 07-04-2010 at 01:19 PM.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
It's a new car. My antique cars need special prep for winter storage but not a new one. In my opinion jacking it up, disconecting battery, starting and letting it run for an hour, etc is all unnecessary. If your not going to be driving it for 4-5 months the only thing I would do is add Stabl-Izer to the fuel and protect it from critters. Bounce dryer sheets under the hood, in the passenger compartment and in the trunk are all that's needed if it's stored indoors. Also, if your Camaro is stored for several months without starting, that's the best time for an oil change and service.
Just an opinion after restoring and maintaining antique cars for 40+ years.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Over-inflating the tires by ten pounds should help avoid flat-spotting. Remember to let the air out in spring.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote